Maybe this is why I use a split grip?

Maybe this is why I use a split grip?

gsw

July 26th, 2012, 4:40 am #1

This is only a drill in this video but I always swing with the same split grip that is shown in this drill http://www.golf.com/video/get-plane-start

Maybe my swing is not so unorthodox after all.

Stan

August 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm #2

Hi Stan -- a question for you on your grip. Do you grip the club with the fingers "not touching" as shown in the drill video? Due to having club control problems with my left hand, I'm thinking about moving to a 10 finger grip. With this new grip, I have the hands touching with all 10 fingers griping the club. I've tried the 10 finger with a split grip, however, it feels a little weird. With practice, maybe I'll get use to the split effect. Do you suggest using the split grip?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you might have.

AllenG

gsw

August 21st, 2012, 2:34 am #3

The split grip has worked for me but I would not recommend it to anyone else unless all other grips failed for you. If you do the drills that Scott teaches in the IMA video and still cant hit the ball well then maybe you could try the split grip. Scott does say in the video that the grip may be separated if you like interlocked or reverse overlapped. He never says that a standard overlap is OK. My hands get closer together at times and sometimes my grip is simply a standard ten-finger grip but if I start to hook the ball I always go back to the split grip.

My advice is to get the IMA video, do the drills and then experiment until you can hit the ball the way you want.

Stan