lumpy doughnuts

lumpy doughnuts

July 27th, 2008, 4:36 am #1

No, not the ones at Walmart! Greens with old hole locations and over watered with a lot of play (two tournaments out before we teed off).

I shot 81 today with exactly 7 putts that burned the edge by veering off course in the last foot or so of travel. 32 putts total with five GIR on the back and only one on the front. I drove the ball very well and with really soft though lumpy greens I could have shot about 68 with accurate approach shots. LOL, maybe someday!

I have messed around with my swing mechanics enough since I started my version Bertholy IMA training that I still do not have my swing grooved as a habit. I can make the swing I want in practice but not so much in play. I am really happy with the swing that have figured out and I am not going to change it!

I am not going to change my swing.
I am going to stick with this swing.

One problem I had today was that I know that I do my best chipping a pitching when I try to feel the shot as opposed to just executing the swing that I practice. I know it but I forgot today and my short game was a bit wooden and not what it should be. Any of you folks run into that sort of thing? Forgetting stuff that works?

Regards, Herbert

July 27th, 2008, 5:53 pm #2

Not really - that's some good golf. i have had a chance to play
on uptown courses where the greens are so good that putting
is easy. The ball runs true- even when it slows down.
NO WONDER the guys on the tour are good putters, anyone
would be good on those greens.

JC

July 28th, 2008, 12:30 am #3

It's because the greens there are about as crappy and slow as they are at my home course.

They said the greens there were about an 8 on the stimpfmeter, and the greens that most of them regularly play on are 12 to 14.

Thats why you saw so many short putts and missed shots because they were playing for breaks that weren't there on that slow a green.
Last edited by Chazman on July 28th, 2008, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 28th, 2008, 3:08 am #4

At least once a year they should be forced to play on the kind of greens most of us have to endure;you know,bumpy,slow greens with numerous unfixed (or poorly repaired) divot marks
Regards,
Bob

gsw

July 28th, 2008, 4:18 am #5

No, not the ones at Walmart! Greens with old hole locations and over watered with a lot of play (two tournaments out before we teed off).

I shot 81 today with exactly 7 putts that burned the edge by veering off course in the last foot or so of travel. 32 putts total with five GIR on the back and only one on the front. I drove the ball very well and with really soft though lumpy greens I could have shot about 68 with accurate approach shots. LOL, maybe someday!

I have messed around with my swing mechanics enough since I started my version Bertholy IMA training that I still do not have my swing grooved as a habit. I can make the swing I want in practice but not so much in play. I am really happy with the swing that have figured out and I am not going to change it!

One problem I had today was that I know that I do my best chipping a pitching when I try to feel the shot as opposed to just executing the swing that I practice. I know it but I forgot today and my short game was a bit wooden and not what it should be. Any of you folks run into that sort of thing? Forgetting stuff that works?

Regards, Herbert
It is a plain fact of golf that when you start to say that your short game is costing you strokes on the golf course that your long game is very good. The better you get at striking the ball the more you find yourself with 45 foot putts and your ball in the sand traps just next to the green and very short pitch shots from around the greens. Most of the very good ball strikers I know (including myself) are thought of by other less accomplished golfers as poor putters or poor short game players, that is because that is the only flaw they can find in the games of the good ball strikers. The better you get at striking the ball the more long putts and sand shots and short pitches you will have.

You are on the right track and your scores will go down once your short game caches up to your long game.

Stan

July 28th, 2008, 4:45 am #6

Thanks for the kind words Stan!

My game is getting better. I am not as good as used to be on my best days but I am a lot more consistent and a lot better ball striker then I was on my bad days. I hit the ball better on the range then I ever have. LOL, I was not sure for a while there if I would ever be able to my feel for short shots back, I hit a lot of really awful shots around the green and I thought maybe I simply had lost my ability to hit the ball the right distance. It seems to have come back now mostly due to practicing. Imagine that! Hey if all 7 of those putts had dropped I would have shot a score close to what you shoot!

Regards, Herbert

July 30th, 2008, 6:06 am #7

At least once a year they should be forced to play on the kind of greens most of us have to endure;you know,bumpy,slow greens with numerous unfixed (or poorly repaired) divot marks
them guys are still going to shoot 65... on a bad day.

Herbert

July 30th, 2008, 6:15 am #8

It's because the greens there are about as crappy and slow as they are at my home course.

They said the greens there were about an 8 on the stimpfmeter, and the greens that most of them regularly play on are 12 to 14.

Thats why you saw so many short putts and missed shots because they were playing for breaks that weren't there on that slow a green.
The greens where mowed extra high because of the wind. Even so there were several times when the wind nearly moved the ball after it had come to rest. LOL, if they had been at Augusta speed it would not have been possible to keep a ball on some of those greens. At any rate the putts were missed more because of the wind more then for any other reason.

Regards, Herbert