Loss of space = bent trail arm @ impact 4 Dustin Johnson

Loss of space = bent trail arm @ impact 4 Dustin Johnson

March 17th, 2011, 4:59 pm #1

Setup and Impact pics for Dustin Johnson. At setup head and trail shoulder is marked with a white circle. Dark line marking middle of trail shoulder position to ball. Impact pic using red circles to mark head and trail shoulder position. Red line the same length as the dark line at setup shows that the shoulder is somewhat closer to the ball at impact vs. setup, which necessitates the bent arm at impact. If the right arm were not bent at impact the ball would not be hit.

Ham

March 18th, 2011, 5:48 pm #2

of this can be found here. Comments on Dustin Johnson are about half-way through.

BTW, I wouldn't characterize this as a loss of space. His right hip at impact is about in the same location as were his square hips at address (look at the side of the structure in the distance, and disregard his gapping pocket.) And the shoulder is not appreciably closer to the ball at impact, especially if you draw the red circle on his shoulder and not his bicep. If DJ were to raise his hands up to the grey line (ala single axis), he could straighten his right arm and still hit the ball with a different wrist geometry (i.e. lots of ulnar deviation.) Here's an example:

March 18th, 2011, 7:16 pm #3

I guess that this is obvious to most but I it was something that I had not really considered in the past.

In Dustin's swing the trail shoulder is closer to the ball causing the trail arm to be bent more at the elbow. Hmmm, or the elbow is bent more pulling the trail shoulder down closer to the ball...

At any rate to have the lead arm fairly straight and the trail arm bent a lot requires that the lead shoulder is relatively further from the ball then the trail shoulder...

Regards, Herbert

March 18th, 2011, 9:08 pm #4

the way it is for nearly all pros at impact and for SA golfers at address as well as impact (when done correctly).

Peter

March 18th, 2011, 10:31 pm #5

What I am puzzling over now is whether it is better to have a very bent trail arm and wrist using what I believe Kelvin calls a 'drive/holding' release. I am actually trying to move towards that type of release as I have an obvious tendency to flip the hands through impact. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference on the scorecard.

I have made a rather large change in my impact position and posture in the last few months. This as resulted in much less lower back pain. I can trace a great deal of the lower back improvement directly to your advice to keep my back in neutral or arched as I call it. I had not realized that in my efforts to suck my gut in and keep good posture I was losing that position while just standing around or walking not to mention in my golf swing. So, thanks for that!

Regards, Herbert

March 19th, 2011, 3:46 pm #6

I'm glad it helped. Even though I've had lower back pain for decades I've not had a problem with golf since I began to focus on correct lower back posture. If only I could keep that posture all the time

Peter