Looking for some feedback

Looking for some feedback

May 1st, 2009, 5:18 pm #1

I know this is an old topic - but I am looking for some opinions. According to "you know who's" website... there is a scientifically correct way to grip the club for single axis. My question is - can I grip the club this way and use IMA's system and still be effective? I am not looking for bashing of this guy's concepts... just want to know if his grip he teaches/taught for That Other Method is viable for IMA. I know a pat answer would be... 'If it works for you - use it". I would like to go deeper than that. In other words, can I reach my full potential with that type of grip? Thanks.

gsw

May 1st, 2009, 8:09 pm #2

Hi Rick

I use a version on LPG and my right hand is placed on the club like JK teaches. I have tried all the SA methods including IMA while using JKs grip and it worked well for me. I think you are referring to the split the hands part of the grip? If so I also split my hands a bit on the grip and it works well for me. As far as the left hand goes I seem to play better if I use a very strong left hand grip position but the neutral left hand is OK as long as you hit the ball well with it. My swing is not really exactly like any of the product SA swings, it is very unique to my physical limitations so the normal predictions as to what will happen when the left hand is too weak or to strong just doesnt apply to me.

Good Luck

Stan

May 1st, 2009, 9:01 pm #3

is exactly what I am referring to. Scott teaches that the left hand has some room for individuality pertaining to strong/weak/neutral... all depending on when you square up the clubface. I am pretty neutral with the back of the left hand parallel with the clubface. Although I do mess around with a stronger left hand on occasion. But yes, I am talking about the split hands... a little gap between the two hands is by far my most comfortable grip.

May 2nd, 2009, 1:34 am #4

'Split hands' does not affect SA alignment however it will require more 'discipline' in maintaining the bend of the trail arm if you want to achieve a correct impact position.

Peter

gsw

May 2nd, 2009, 1:55 am #5

is exactly what I am referring to. Scott teaches that the left hand has some room for individuality pertaining to strong/weak/neutral... all depending on when you square up the clubface. I am pretty neutral with the back of the left hand parallel with the clubface. Although I do mess around with a stronger left hand on occasion. But yes, I am talking about the split hands... a little gap between the two hands is by far my most comfortable grip.
Scott says that when taking the grip that you can separate the hands if you want. I am not sure that he means to split the hands but he does say you may separate the hands if you like.

Stan
Last edited by gsw on May 2nd, 2009, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.