Long Putter?

Long Putter?

gsw

April 28th, 2011, 3:41 pm #1

Anyone using the long putter? I have putted for years with a 43 inch long putter side saddle but lately I have been trying to putt with a 48 inch putter normaly the way that Adam Scott is putting. The reason I am trying to putt normaly is that I can lock in my shoulders and putt using a torso rock motion instead of an arm and hand motion. This torso rock motion should take all the small muscles out of the stroke and help me make more putts. I have tried this many times before and I always end up back to the side saddle way of putting. Maybe this time it will work?

Stan

gsw

May 1st, 2011, 3:06 pm #2

Friday evening late I played a quick nine hole round using my 48 inch long Ping B90 putter and the torso rock stroke that I have been working on. I shot a one over par 37 with only 12 putts (one chip in) and no three putts. It seems that the torso rock way of putting with the long putter is going to work a bit for me. It seems to take me a while to catch on to a new way of doing things so I am going to give the long putter and the conventional torso rock putting at least the entire month of May before I decide to stick with it or go back to side saddle putting.

Stan

gsw

May 8th, 2011, 3:06 am #3

Anyone using the long putter? I have putted for years with a 43 inch long putter side saddle but lately I have been trying to putt with a 48 inch putter normaly the way that Adam Scott is putting. The reason I am trying to putt normaly is that I can lock in my shoulders and putt using a torso rock motion instead of an arm and hand motion. This torso rock motion should take all the small muscles out of the stroke and help me make more putts. I have tried this many times before and I always end up back to the side saddle way of putting. Maybe this time it will work?

Stan
I have the book "The Long View Of Improved Putting" One of the authors putts with the lead hand low (cross handed) using the long putter and he converted to this putting style after putting side saddle for seven years. I watched Vijay Singh putting this week on tour (lead hand low) with a mid length putter and I also found footage of Vijay using a long putter and putting with the lead hand low. So just for a kick I tried it on the practice putting green. To my great surprise it worked very well instantly. I played 18 holes yesterday and shot a 76 with 28 putts and played 9 holes today and shot 39 with 13 putts while putting lead hand low. I am not doing anything else very well right now so the scores are directly related to my improved putting. Now if I could chip it a bit better, and drive it a bit better, and hit my approach shots a bit better I could start to score better. Right now the putting is fixed.

Stan

May 9th, 2011, 1:34 am #4

Stan
I have been using a belly putter for over 5 years now and I can't go back (nor do I want to). With a little practice, you can completely take the variability in stroke / ball striking out of the equation and focus entirely on speed & line. I use a claw grip on the right hand which locks the wrist and makes for a pure pendulum swing.

May 9th, 2011, 3:35 pm #5

that with a belly putter the club face angle relative to the target line changed during the stroke (open to closed) vs a 'pendulum' stroke where the face stays square to the line.

Peter

gsw

May 20th, 2011, 3:33 am #6

Stan
OK, I am now back to putting with a normal length putter side saddle. I tried hard to use the long putter from a normal stance for a month but I am such a control freak that I had to revert back to my original way of putting that I have used since I started playing golf 34 years ago. I don't think that I will ever try to use anything else as long as I play golf. It is not that the long putter did not work OK for me but I just don't feel right putting any other way than side saddle so that is the way it will be from now on unless they make it illegal. I know I said that I would try the long putter for the entire month of May but I did not make it through the month before I reverted back to putting side saddle. As to what is better normal or side saddle putting, I don't know but if a golfer does not feel right lining up for a putt then he is in trouble and I simply do not feel right unless I putt facing the hole. If you are a normal putter and you try to putt side saddle then you will feel strange. That is the way I feel when I try to putt from a normal putting setup, so side saddle it is now and forever.

Stan

May 21st, 2011, 12:25 am #7

If you want to sell it, let me know....

May 21st, 2011, 9:09 am #8

Stan
Putting is totally outstanding.
I use their putter and my putting is now pro level or better.
http://www.amazingputter.com/

Its simply the utmost perfect system allowing me to putt like they did in the old days, Palmer, snead, nicklaus etc...

gsw

May 22nd, 2011, 1:40 am #9

I have tried the Symple putting system and it did work really well for short putts but I could lag a long putt close to the hole to save my life with the Symple putting system. It is great if you can get the ball close on long putts with it.

Stan

May 22nd, 2011, 2:32 pm #10

Putts today in competition, no issue on any putt length.
Irons however started to go long so couldnt make a green properly due to irons started to go so far.
about 3 clubs longer than last year.