Long Knockers / Short knockers

Long Knockers / Short knockers

January 3rd, 2011, 12:36 pm #1

Looking at the tours longest and shortest is pretty telling:

The Longest:

Some of the Shortest, though Stricker is about tour average:

Quite a difference...the short hitters look almost posed, especially Gay. Brian Gay, the shortest has the best putts per round, averaging 28.02, and Garrigus the most putts per round at 29.89. Johnson ranks second in money won, Gay 65th, Garrigus 60th. So you can do well being short or long, but increasingly it is no longer "drive for show and putt for dough", now it seems it is "drive AND putt for dough".

Also, those three long knockers are going to face off against Sadlowski in a long drive contest this week at the Tour event in Hawaii. The contest will take place on Wednesday on #18. Details are unclear, but one thing I would like to know is what length drivers they are all hitting. Personally, I think those three, given the same technology as the LD guys, would be almost as long, especially knowing they only have to put one out of six in play.

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

January 3rd, 2011, 1:55 pm #2

Interesting photos. Brian Gay looks single axis with very little turn at impact (I'm assuming impact since his right heel is coming up) and very upright spine angle. Maybe why his speed is that low? Anyway, the LD contest will be interesting. But I disagree about these guys being close to the LD guys if they had the same technology. Actually, if they were to use a 48" driver they would be close. I know a guy who competes on the Super Seniors and he told me that because they measure differently on the LD drivers, a 50" driver measured by their standards would not be that much different than a 48" driver measured by USGA standards.
I think they might get close to the seniors and older but not the young guns. Especially not Sadlowski. But jmo which doesn't cost anything and is probably worth even less, lol.

January 3rd, 2011, 2:51 pm #3

The Longest:

Quite a difference...the short hitters look almost posed, especially Gay. Brian Gay, the shortest has the best putts per round, averaging 28.02, and Garrigus the most putts per round at 29.89. Johnson ranks second in money won, Gay 65th, Garrigus 60th. So you can do well being short or long, but increasingly it is no longer "drive for show and putt for dough", now it seems it is "drive AND putt for dough".

Also, those three long knockers are going to face off against Sadlowski in a long drive contest this week at the Tour event in Hawaii. The contest will take place on Wednesday on #18. Details are unclear, but one thing I would like to know is what length drivers they are all hitting. Personally, I think those three, given the same technology as the LD guys, would be almost as long, especially knowing they only have to put one out of six in play.

Kevin

Very Interesting (n/t)

January 3rd, 2011, 5:03 pm #4

The Longest:

Kevin

From your long hitting group.

Bubba Watson 32 years old
Dustin Johnson 26 years old
Robert Garrigus 33 years old

VS.

Your short group

Scott Verplank 46 years old
Steve Stricker 43 years old
Brian Gay 39 years old

Average age difference 12.33 years.

Not such a fair comparison in my opinion.

Ham

January 3rd, 2011, 5:42 pm #5

All I did it went to the pga stats And look at the bottom and top of the list for club head speed. Perhaps you are a bit ouchie on this because you look more like the second group and are "old" too?

How old is George Slupski or John Daly?

I am 53.5 years young...

Kevin

January 3rd, 2011, 5:49 pm #6

I am old...lol

I just noticed that there was a large age difference in the two groups you compared. The clubs the older guys grew up with were far different from those the young guys grew up with.

Also interesting to look at the spine angles with the younger longer group vs. the shorter older group.

Ham

January 3rd, 2011, 8:16 pm #7

It's just the way it is with distance..."old" or "young":

But of course as a rule,as you get older, you lose distance, and strength. But you don't have to...you can even hit it further than when you were younger if you know what you are doing and apply yourself

Kevin

January 3rd, 2011, 8:43 pm #8

have more speed then their counterparts due to a number of reasons.

Equipment and fitness are two of the biggest reasons.

Then there is also technology which has made it easier to learn a better swing at a younger age. When I was young I saw my swing on video one time before I was 18 years old, and in my 20s maybe only a few times. Now I see it on a daily basis. Much easier to learn good technique that way.

Ham

January 3rd, 2011, 9:24 pm #9

Several years ago they asked him about this....I paraphrase:

"Fitness is over rated, with this" "who the hell needs fitness?" Gotta love JD.

Another I love form very old school was in Harvey Penick's Green Book. Sam Snead commenting on all the young guns coming up, again paraphrased -

"These young guys coming up, they don't even drink coffee...say it gives em the jitters......now ain't that sumthin!"

Kevin

January 3rd, 2011, 9:34 pm #10

him, but he is wrong if he thinks fitness does not help. What could he have done had he been fit?

Ham