Latest Videos - Wrists and Swings

Latest Videos - Wrists and Swings

October 19th, 2011, 11:15 am #1

I made a video about wrists movement - Hinging, cocking, setting etc. Trying to explain the difference between intentional setting or cocking and not. MGS advises the wrists be "neutral" - no intentional cocking setting, BUT ALSO not intentionally trying to KEEP THEM FROM SETTING, which is the great unsaid thing people miss. To do either takes the golfer away from what I have begun to call the "minimalist mindset". So here's that link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPUgSzqTFw4

Then, I also posted a video of my latest MGS swings from 10-15,17 interesting that I have once again let my hands move into more of a SA alignment. Pretty cool in the second down line shot, if you watch close, you can see the birdie ball "knock the flag down" - I trimmed it longer past the finish and you can actually see it falling down right on top of the flag!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDThApCY8u0

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

October 19th, 2011, 12:06 pm #2

If that's not MGS then grits ain't groceries.

I don't know what Kiran will say but it looked like
near flawless execution of her concepts to me. Very
different from your old swing in ease of execution
and very golferly. Kudos.

I may have to try MGS more seriously.

October 19th, 2011, 12:46 pm #3

I made a video about wrists movement - Hinging, cocking, setting etc. Trying to explain the difference between intentional setting or cocking and not. MGS advises the wrists be "neutral" - no intentional cocking setting, BUT ALSO not intentionally trying to KEEP THEM FROM SETTING, which is the great unsaid thing people miss. To do either takes the golfer away from what I have begun to call the "minimalist mindset". So here's that link:

Then, I also posted a video of my latest MGS swings from 10-15,17 interesting that I have once again let my hands move into more of a SA alignment. Pretty cool in the second down line shot, if you watch close, you can see the birdie ball "knock the flag down" - I trimmed it longer past the finish and you can actually see it falling down right on top of the flag!

Kevin

According to Kiran's website it sounds as if one should intentionally keep the wrists out of the swing all together.

From her website regarding the MGS backswing.

Let a relaxed left arm rise over the chest, literally touching it, and

remaining a straight line from shoulder to clubhead (ie. no bend in

either wrist so that both thumbs are horizontal at top of backswing -

almost feel as if the left thumb points down ) - this creates the very

important WIDTH of backswing.

Ham

October 19th, 2011, 1:33 pm #4

Kevin

Kevin, are you a genius, a mind-reader or what?

Perfect, you explained the wrist business very succinctly, and the MGS swing was really good too!

Kiran

October 19th, 2011, 1:55 pm #5

According to Kiran's website it sounds as if one should intentionally keep the wrists out of the swing all together.

Ham
If you have a relaxed left arm and wrists
with thumbs extended and you swing the
left arm back, it will feel like what?
And depending on the pace of your swing
as you near the top and your wrists are
relaxed what might happen, especially as
you change direction because of the weight of the club?

October 19th, 2011, 4:52 pm #6

Ham
The direction in her book is specific in that there should be no intentional moving of the wrists into extension or radial/ulnar deviation....this is opposite of what I have done and teach.

She describes the wrists as being neutral. However, if you let your wrists totally relax, the weight of the club will move the lead wrist into ulnar deviation, and then (unless you go very slow to top); the movement of the lead arm and weight of the club will cause the wrist to hinge as you move down- what some call downcocking......I don't see that as a sticking point either way. The ball can be hit either way.....but more and more I like the idea of not having to do anything.....the "minimalist mindset"

Kevin

Last edited by mcirishman57 on October 19th, 2011, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 19th, 2011, 5:53 pm #7

Kevin

Do you find better ball striking with the SA set up ? I know tou have been experimenting with both. I also know you mentioned that she told you to keep your hands low, and you would have better results.

I know this is the SA forum and a lot of you might disagree, but I have never found any advatage to the SA set up. (but maybe that is just me. )

Another question Kevin is where are you currently with the wrist cock ? Pure or as close as you can get to MGS no wrists or trying to add some.

I guess with the weather getting bad you are proably like me and not getting much playing time in. I have not played in several weeks. Not hit any balls for quite some time. Maybe next week it is suppose to get warm again.

October 19th, 2011, 7:22 pm #8

CG or SA aligned strike is about the same in every respect. Hawk and I are on for this weekend, so he can provide a another set of live eyes and give his experience as well.

Where I am at right now with the wrists, is I don't actually try to do anything with my wrists at all. That seems to yield the most consistent results - contact, club head speed and dispersion. The swings I posted all are made with this in mind. No active trail arm pull/curl, and no setting of the wrists in an active, intentional manner.

I had a shot at playing Sunday, but it ended up raining - it is now official wettest year ever for Ohio. Backyard is saturated.

October 20th, 2011, 3:13 am #9

Kevin

for Kiran's demonstrated top of swing position with 'neutral' wrists and while your wrist cocking may not be intentional it happens considerably before the change in direction so it's not a result of club momentum and relaxed wrists. It will be interesting to see the result if/when you match the demonstrated swing.

Peter

October 20th, 2011, 4:11 am #10

CG or SA aligned strike is about the same in every respect. Hawk and I are on for this weekend, so he can provide a another set of live eyes and give his experience as well.

Where I am at right now with the wrists, is I don't actually try to do anything with my wrists at all. That seems to yield the most consistent results - contact, club head speed and dispersion. The swings I posted all are made with this in mind. No active trail arm pull/curl, and no setting of the wrists in an active, intentional manner.

I had a shot at playing Sunday, but it ended up raining - it is now official wettest year ever for Ohio. Backyard is saturated.

Hi Kevin,
maybe you could post some still pics to show the actual differences of what you percieve to be CG, SA and MGS, so all of us are on the same page?
Kiran