Laser Range finders

Laser Range finders

January 6th, 2015, 12:25 am #1

I have a Garmin GPS watch which is pretty nice but I believe that the yardages are sometimes off by enough that it costs even a hack like me some strokes. I have noticed that better players that I see use laser range finders and not the GPS devices.

Do you you use a laser range finder? Any recommendations?

Regards, Herbert

January 8th, 2015, 4:48 am #2

prefer GPS. Both acquired years ago so I can't advise on current models.

I got laser first (Bushnell 400) and was happy but immediately experienced the problem of finding an appropriate target to get the range. I was never able to get a read on a flag stick so I had to find something else; green front if an elevated green, a tree beside the green... All that went away with the GPS (stand alone unit) and I also got hole diagrams. I did not find accuracy problems with the GPS so I suspect if may be particular to your device and/or brand.

Next summer I plan to use golf GPS SW in my iPhone (my stand alone unit died).

While GPS is only spec'd to be accurate to about 50' for consumers it's often better AND for me at least equivalent to the error associated with the target selection.

Peter

January 8th, 2015, 4:24 pm #3

What I have noticed is that all of the low handicap golfers that I see use laser range finders and the higher handicaps have the GPS units.

You should check out the new laser range finders as they have no problem locking onto the flag. I purchased a Leupold GX3i and I am looking forward to comparing it to the Garmin watch next time I play!

Regards, Herbert

January 8th, 2015, 10:51 pm #4

"I DIDN'T KNOW THE YARDAGE, I DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW THE YARDAGE. THERE ARE TOO MANY VARIABLES. THE WIND, THE DENSITY, HOW YOU'RE PLAYING THAT DAY. I DON'T THINK I COULD HAVE PLAYED BY YARDAGE."

This is a quote from Ben Hogan. I wonder what he would have thought about these devices. I also believe he played the same courses enough that he had a feel for his yardage. He probably played each shot to the same place pretty much every time on every course. I bet he had landmarks that gave him all he needed. The other variables he mentions only determined which club or type of shot probably. My guess is he did indeed know his yardage, at least close enough to play it. But maybe he never wanted it from his caddy.

January 10th, 2015, 1:35 am #5

Just another way in which I am nothing like Hogan! Tour pros now days are completely wedded to yardage, they want to know with .5 yards on every shot!

Regards, Herbert

January 10th, 2015, 1:42 am #6

I have a Garmin GPS watch which is pretty nice but I believe that the yardages are sometimes off by enough that it costs even a hack like me some strokes. I have noticed that better players that I see use laser range finders and not the GPS devices.

Do you you use a laser range finder? Any recommendations?

Regards, Herbert
I really like the Leupold laser range finder. I had no problem locking on the flag and it is nice to know exactly what the distance is. The Garmin watch compared to the laser very well except on the 11th hole where it was off by 7 yards from 100 yards! No wonder I always came up short on that shot! Anyway I should be able to improve my wedge shots distance control quite a bit using the laser...

Regards, Herbert