Interesting teachings

Interesting teachings

April 9th, 2011, 4:47 pm #1

His name is Martin Ayers....I saw he has a big following on some other golf forums so I watched some of his youtube videos. What I like so far is he is not a "one swing fits all" instructor...he uses Moe, Hogan and others from previous generations for influence in his teachings. A lot of his stuff is based off of feelings..which is great for me. He is also Steve Elkington swing coach now..they just did a video called "The most powerful in golf". I bought it..it was $35 so I figured what the heck. It's definitely different...I'm not sure if I completely understand this exact move yet, but I've incorporated some of his other fundamentals into my set-up/swing/training that has made a big difference (8/9 GIR last round!).

1) At set-up, your body is slightly open to the ball..shoulders are square. He explains it more as "intentions going towards target"...from what I understand the trail hip is bumped towards the ball a bit. This creates more resistance between upper/lower body during backswing. It feels great...making the vital move seems more natural and automatic now. I feel very "wound up" in backswing...

2) Takeaway...I'll just post his video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAUU5OXI ... re=related

3) Awareness of the thorax during downswing. Instead of worrying about buttline, he wants you to feel your thorax almost moving towards the ball during the downswing. If you move your thorax away, your butt moves towards the ball...if your thorax moves forward/stays still then your butt stays back. For some reason this is seems easier than worrying about where my butt is. Contact with my driver is almost dead center now...used to be towards heel.

Between these 3 simple things my ball striking has become much more consistent...unfortunately I have video/computer issues so I really don't know how much different my swing is. I do know my divots are further forward and I'm a club longer. What I also like is I can still set-up single axis, and I can incorporate these moves/feelings into bertholy training. I encourage people to check him out...again, very different type of teacher from everything else out there.

April 10th, 2011, 7:23 pm #2

For more info on Martin and his teaching,Google "Secret in the dirt" its a neat site with some great videos.More feel based then what you find on SA forum. But I'm using some of those moves with good success. my favorites are the winding moves of some of the great old hickory players. Check it out! Jack

April 10th, 2011, 8:40 pm #3

SITD is a great website....I also like Mike Maves YouTube videos. The stuff from Martin Ayers is making an immediate improvent in my game....and the great thing is I'm not making major "swing changes". I can work in his teachings with some of my bertholy/clearkey training to hopefully ingrain it quicker.

April 11th, 2011, 2:42 pm #4

For more info on Martin and his teaching,Google "Secret in the dirt" its a neat site with some great videos.More feel based then what you find on SA forum. But I'm using some of those moves with good success. my favorites are the winding moves of some of the great old hickory players. Check it out! Jack
great site...you can get a pretty good understanding of Martin's teachings through youtube, SITD and his site. I've just taken a few concepts and am integrating them with great success.