Interesting handicap stats

Interesting handicap stats

January 24th, 2009, 7:07 am #1

It seems that according to Golf Digest and the USGA golfers are improving. The average handicap reported by the USGA has gone from about 16.5 to about 14.5 since 1990. Golf Digest claims the improvement is due to equipment. Of course I think that it is due to the Single Axis Golf Forum.

Anyway a 14.5 index is probably shooting right around 90 or a bit below most of the time which kind shoots down the argument that golfers have not improved in the last 100 years because the average score has stayed at 100 during that time.

I wonder what the average index of participants here is? Mine is 12 what is yours?

Regards, Herbert

January 24th, 2009, 1:18 pm #2

for 9...hehehe. That was my handicap in my league. I only played four 18 hole rounds last year - something like 82,78,75,76....so perhaps some handicap / math experts could extrapolate that out to my 18 index.

I am going to try and play much more this year and will have a USGA index as I want to play in some state sanctioned events etc. There is also a VERY competitive scratch golf league that I will compete in this year. http://www.championshipgolf.org/ Has a real tour type feel to it in the way it is run.

Lotsa good players play here including Norton Brick who Qualified for the US Senior Open at Inverness several years ago. I should get a real good idea of where my game is at after a few matches with these guys. I will not be playing for the skins (but will pay for them) but instead will just try to shoot the lowest score time.

January 24th, 2009, 2:30 pm #3

It seems that according to Golf Digest and the USGA golfers are improving. The average handicap reported by the USGA has gone from about 16.5 to about 14.5 since 1990. Golf Digest claims the improvement is due to equipment. Of course I think that it is due to the Single Axis Golf Forum.

Anyway a 14.5 index is probably shooting right around 90 or a bit below most of the time which kind shoots down the argument that golfers have not improved in the last 100 years because the average score has stayed at 100 during that time.

I wonder what the average index of participants here is? Mine is 12 what is yours?

Regards, Herbert
I'm an 8. The lower you go the harder it becomes to go lower. Absolutely have to eliminate double bogeys and three putts. The three putt probably can't be avoided sometimes but the double bogey takes two birdies to make up for. Really hard to do. Forget the hero shot and take your medicine. Get back in play.
Jerry

January 24th, 2009, 6:40 pm #4

for 9...hehehe. That was my handicap in my league. I only played four 18 hole rounds last year - something like 82,78,75,76....so perhaps some handicap / math experts could extrapolate that out to my 18 index.

I am going to try and play much more this year and will have a USGA index as I want to play in some state sanctioned events etc. There is also a VERY competitive scratch golf league that I will compete in this year. http://www.championshipgolf.org/ Has a real tour type feel to it in the way it is run.

Lotsa good players play here including Norton Brick who Qualified for the US Senior Open at Inverness several years ago. I should get a real good idea of where my game is at after a few matches with these guys. I will not be playing for the skins (but will pay for them) but instead will just try to shoot the lowest score time.
you really do need to get out more. I played four 18 hole rounds in ONE day last year... probably about 100 rounds or so for the year.

To answer this post... I am a 10.

January 24th, 2009, 11:14 pm #5

kind of job do you have? Are they hiring?

You played all 18 walking right!

Seriously though I have been "facing it" on the personal front for some time now. But I do plan on getting out a lot more and competing. Several clubs have some nice all you can play memberships and the courses aren't that bad. Some private clubs are even offering some sweet deals....so we will see.

But I've been there...when I was living in Tiffin years ago, they ran a fall special - $150 all you can play til the end of the year. I literally would play all day....round and round we would go...and we walked. I was new to golf then and probably paid more in lost golf balls than that whole membership.

January 25th, 2009, 12:13 am #6

dude. Work for the U.S. Postal Service. I get one day off during the week - and every Sunday. I walk about 5 miles a day at work... so when I golf - it's cart only. Plus I can play faster that way! Me and a co-worker who has the same day off play together. We usually play 36 or 54 holes on our off day and I usually squeeze in another 18 somewhere during the week or an occasional Sunday.

So, it's not the job! I work 40 hours like most people. I am a public course player and we usually go where we can find deals. For example, there is a course in Middlefield that we can play all day for $25 including cart. Another one in Ashtabula for $40 all day with cart and a burger/drink. There are a few others we go to alot as well.

If we play 36 or 54 holes, that puts our cost anywhere from $8 to $18 per round. Are these courses the greatest? Of course not, but they really are not that bad. We also mix in some better courses throughout the year. And the yearly Myrtle trip and fall overnighter. I can't see any reason to drop thousands on a private course that I have to play over and over when I can get some variety at a fraction of the cost. I bet my average round last year cost around $15.
Last edited by rickv on January 25th, 2009, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.