Interesting day?

Interesting day?

April 19th, 2010, 1:37 am #1

Or maybe incredibly boring to you?

Oh well here we go anyway! I played a company tournament at San Juan Oaks today. It is a beautiful course and in very good condition. Unfortunately it is pretty much impossible for a high handicap player to play. The rough is deep and it is often hard to find the ball but just outside the rough it is deep cabbage and there is no chance of finding the ball which makes it DQ city or a long day of hitting provisional after provisional if you can't hit it straight every time. It would be a lot better if they at least marked the waste areas as hazards so a person could drop out of the crap.

I had a fun day, I started by hooking my first shot into the cabbage and then push fading my second. I didn't find either ball so I had to go back to the tee and hit another. I made a bogey on the third ball for a nice smooth 9 to get off to a great start. I ended up shooting an 81 so I played pretty good after that including doing something that I have not done for 20 plus years; I birdied 3 holes in a row and I just missed a 30 footer on the next hole which would have been 4 in a row which I have never done. I had one pretty good stretch and the rest of then time played bogey crap golf.

On the range I am really hitting it well with a few mis-hits or off line shots while on the course I miss-hit everything with a few solid shots. Some of this is due to my having changed swing methods so many times. Sometimes I hit horrifyingly bad shots to the right that are a result of blocking it with the lead hand in the strong position which opens the club face severely. Otherwise probably the hit impulse and fear of failure.

Regards, Herbert
Last edited by gHerbert on April 19th, 2010, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 19th, 2010, 2:11 am #2

it also has its difficulties I find it helpful on the course to take 2 clubs more and hit partial shots. I learned this from playing frozen courses where you could not land the ball on the green and have it stay. Much more consistent this way especially when practice time is limited. Take the same partial swing with driver. You'll loose some distance (though probably not as much as you might think). Keeping it in play on just that one hole would have made a big difference.

Peter

April 19th, 2010, 2:45 am #3

Or maybe incredibly boring to you?

Oh well here we go anyway! I played a company tournament at San Juan Oaks today. It is a beautiful course and in very good condition. Unfortunately it is pretty much impossible for a high handicap player to play. The rough is deep and it is often hard to find the ball but just outside the rough it is deep cabbage and there is no chance of finding the ball which makes it DQ city or a long day of hitting provisional after provisional if you can't hit it straight every time. It would be a lot better if they at least marked the waste areas as hazards so a person could drop out of the crap.

I had a fun day, I started by hooking my first shot into the cabbage and then push fading my second. I didn't find either ball so I had to go back to the tee and hit another. I made a bogey on the third ball for a nice smooth 9 to get off to a great start. I ended up shooting an 81 so I played pretty good after that including doing something that I have not done for 20 plus years; I birdied 3 holes in a row and I just missed a 30 footer on the next hole which would have been 4 in a row which I have never done. I had one pretty good stretch and the rest of then time played bogey crap golf.

On the range I am really hitting it well with a few mis-hits or off line shots while on the course I miss-hit everything with a few solid shots. Some of this is due to my having changed swing methods so many times. Sometimes I hit horrifyingly bad shots to the right that are a result of blocking it with the lead hand in the strong position which opens the club face severely. Otherwise probably the hit impulse and fear of failure.

Regards, Herbert
was one of the best rounds you ever had! Lots of folks blow up on the first hole and they mail it in for the rest of the round. The way you righted the ship is awesome. Congrats!

If you had forecaddies you would have found your ball...chopped it out..and made bogey, maybe even par if your third was stiff...especially since your putter was on! Shot 77.

Three birdies in a row....priceless!

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

April 19th, 2010, 3:53 am #4

Thanks for the kind words I appreciate it!

I can say that I got used ignoring having bad holes a long time ago. Something that was necessary given the way that I play. Even now you might watch me play 5 holes and think that I might be a scratch player or you might see me play 5 holes on the same round and think that I was probably a 25 handicap player. Very fun game golf is. What I did think as we drove to the second tee was that it was no different the couple of double bogeys and there was still a lot of golf left. Not only that but this is one pretty golf course with lakes and streams, really nice so it was going to be enjoyable one way or another!

As for the putter I have been putting really well lately. The greens were rolling true though difficult to read. I made several putts because I looked at the hole to see which side was the high side to figure out the break. I was lucky on a few also of course. I am using an odd method perhaps... I play the ball even with my lead toe and only 3 inches or so out from my toe. Almost all my weight is on my lead foot and I use a shoulder controlled stroke which I find to help a lot with distance and direction. I am using and old brass semi mallet putter, certainly the ugliest putter on the course today!

Regards, Herbert

April 19th, 2010, 9:45 pm #5

it also has its difficulties I find it helpful on the course to take 2 clubs more and hit partial shots. I learned this from playing frozen courses where you could not land the ball on the green and have it stay. Much more consistent this way especially when practice time is limited. Take the same partial swing with driver. You'll loose some distance (though probably not as much as you might think). Keeping it in play on just that one hole would have made a big difference.

Peter
I have done that also. The reduced driver swing is very useful especially on some of the holes that I play that look from the tee like you are looking down the wrong end of a telescope. LOL the driver head is bigger so it less likely to severely miss a shot. Also if you choke down on the grip and swing slower the club will play stiffer resulting in a nice controllable fade.

Hitting the green with two extra clubs is not as easy for me as taking a normal swing with the right club. The courses that I play don't really allow run up shots on many holes and if you go long you are dead meat. Having too much club in my hand results in extra stress, if anything I actually prefer to have a little less club and hit it full with no worries of going long.

Anyway I have been playing two rounds a week and practicing quite a bit so I have not excuses for not playing it all out. LOL my video has improved a lot as far as body position goes but I still have the Y at impact so I need to get that straightened out!

Regards, Herbert

April 20th, 2010, 12:42 am #6

in practicing partial swings. Of course I was forced to it but the value I found from it makes it worth while still. If you make good contact there is no problem holding the regular greens I play (mostly semi-private clubs and I've had 5-irons only roll 10') so run ups are not required (as they were with me and frozen greens), but you do need to be committed to the partial swing.

Peter