IMA

IMA

October 21st, 2008, 6:38 am #1

I have been doing the IMA drills pretty much every day for several weeks now mostly into my net at home. I am starting to see some results. I think that it will probably take me a good while longer before I really start to make a habit of the correct movements. I have found that watching the 'Master the Golf Swing' video over and over again really helps me to perform the drills correctly.

I went thru the drills on the range this morning and I tried a set with my driver just for fun. I found something kind of interesting. I noticed that when doing drill number 5 I was hitting very nearly my normal distance (230 to 240 carry)but with very little effort and no back pain. This tells me that my 'normal' driver swing sucks. I suspect that I have probably never held the angle correctly or hit correct impact position with my driver swing. I have also become aware that I often release really early on all swings while playing especially when I am feeling some pressure. LOL, like on every hole where I can remember hitting a bad shot, in other words every hole on the course I play every week.

I have been hitting some 'correct' shots every now and again though and that is really fun! I notice that correct hands in front impact position feels somewhat like a block to me. I have really noticed this by focusing in on making sure that I setup in and hit proper position while doing the drills. It is not block though as the follow thru is out and thru rifle barrel position. This is something that really feels good and is starting to happen naturally. It is a straight trail arm and folded lead arm with the clubhead just pulling out towards the target to high finish. Really fun when it happens.

Regards, Herbert
Last edited by gHerbert on October 21st, 2008, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 21st, 2008, 6:51 pm #2

fortifying your swing with Bertholy?

October 21st, 2008, 7:17 pm #3

I have been doing the IMA drills pretty much every day for several weeks now mostly into my net at home. I am starting to see some results. I think that it will probably take me a good while longer before I really start to make a habit of the correct movements. I have found that watching the 'Master the Golf Swing' video over and over again really helps me to perform the drills correctly.

I went thru the drills on the range this morning and I tried a set with my driver just for fun. I found something kind of interesting. I noticed that when doing drill number 5 I was hitting very nearly my normal distance (230 to 240 carry)but with very little effort and no back pain. This tells me that my 'normal' driver swing sucks. I suspect that I have probably never held the angle correctly or hit correct impact position with my driver swing. I have also become aware that I often release really early on all swings while playing especially when I am feeling some pressure. LOL, like on every hole where I can remember hitting a bad shot, in other words every hole on the course I play every week.

I have been hitting some 'correct' shots every now and again though and that is really fun! I notice that correct hands in front impact position feels somewhat like a block to me. I have really noticed this by focusing in on making sure that I setup in and hit proper position while doing the drills. It is not block though as the follow thru is out and thru rifle barrel position. This is something that really feels good and is starting to happen naturally. It is a straight trail arm and folded lead arm with the clubhead just pulling out towards the target to high finish. Really fun when it happens.

Regards, Herbert
that correct shots feel VERY different.

It sounds as though both IMA and Bertholy are starting to 'filter' through.

Peter

October 22nd, 2008, 5:28 am #4

fortifying your swing with Bertholy?
waters run deep but turmoil can run a little deeper then we might like also.

I am still doing a lot of swing pipe work but most all of the drilling is the five IMA drills. Number three has a bit of rifle barrel and number five helps a lot on the late hit side of things.

Regards, Herbert

October 22nd, 2008, 5:39 am #5

that correct shots feel VERY different.

It sounds as though both IMA and Bertholy are starting to 'filter' through.

Peter
I am pretty coachable I can get often get things close to right very quickly but reliability and repeatability has always been another thing entirely. As a golfer I am pretty sure that I will always run hot and cold it is a matter of improving the cold a great deal.

I am still learning to do the drills correctly for instance I realized in the last few days that I was not doing drill number three correctly. I was moving the trail elbow too far away from the body. I seem to do a lot better if the elbow stays more in place and the hands sort of pivot around it. The elbow stills moves back and around but the movement is different. I think that the video may be a bit confusing on this drill as I think that Scott does it slightly differently when he performs the drill as oppposed to when he demos it. I think that there is a little more rotation of the upper trail arm and the elbow stays in a little tighter when he actually does the drill.

Regards, Herbert

October 22nd, 2008, 7:32 am #6

is like my 4.5 but 'smaller' (and no shoulder turn). That is what I use for pitch shots out to near 50 yards with PW (100 yards with shoulder turn).

Getting your trail elbow to the right place is NOT easy so far better to not let it get too far away in my experience.

Peter

October 30th, 2008, 10:01 am #7

Regards, Herbert
Herbert,

What (angle(s)) do you release early when you feel that you release early and, if you have an opinion, what causes it to happen?

Scott

October 31st, 2008, 4:08 am #8