IMA Questions?

IMA Questions?

May 10th, 2012, 8:01 pm #1

For all of you IMA gurus out there.

1. In the back swing does the elbow bend in front of the hip or to the side of the hip? I believe in the downswing it goes in front of the hip.

2. How much should your shoulders turn in the downswing? I think that over turning maybe why I feel like I am pulling shots. If I should be facing the ball at impact I do not know how much my shoulders should be open or parallel to the line.

3. On half shots should the elbow bend to the side or to the front of the hip?

I think that is it for now.

Thanks

May 10th, 2012, 10:03 pm #2

Scott is specific that the back swing is not that important as long as you wind up in a proper top of swing position. As a result he is not too specific about the backs swing but if you follow his direction to take the club back and then 'biceps curl' your trail arm to take the club to the top your trail elbow will be to the side of your hip.

With IMA your address should be a model for impact. In fact in the Impact Backwards drills the start position for your body IS the correct impact position. The goal of IMA is to return to that same impact position on every shot. That impact position ideally has your shoulders parallel to the target line for a straight shot so the amount your shoulders turn is the amount needed to get them back to the address/impact position (which should be parallel to the target line for a straight shot but will be open or closed for a fade or a draw respectively).

#3 depends on what you mean by a 'half shot' however note that it is VERY difficult to get your trail elbow back to the position in front of your trail hip while your arm is bent 90 deg at elbow and wrist in order to have the club parallel to the target line when the club is roughly horizontal. Scott has noted that while your back swing can be a long as you want with IMA, the longer your back swing the more difficult it is to get your trail elbow to its correct position at the correct time. You can, in fact, employ a swing such that your trail elbow never leaves it's position in front of your trail elbow and hit the ball pretty much your full distance. Think of what's shown in this clip and imagine the position at the start with trail elbow in contact with trail side, as top of swing:

Peter
Last edited by sagf_moderator on May 10th, 2012, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, 2012, 1:01 am #3

Thanks Peter,

Can you give me a little more advice on the top of the back swing position? I have been simply bending my trail wrist and elbow to a 90* then raising my hands. I feel as if my hands go up behind my trail ear, but I don't feel as though I am curling the club up with my trail arm.

I am hitting every club fantastic, except my driver, the driver I am all over the place from snap hooks, pulls, pushes and fades.

Today I played 3 hole at my club, I drove the first green 275yds dead straight. By the 3 rd hole I couldn't hardly get off thew tee, I just can not figure out the driver. Mainly battling hooks and pulls. I think I might be over rotating my shoulders in the swing and not keeping the trail arm below the lead arm.

May 11th, 2012, 2:14 am #4

When you bend your trail arm 90 deg from slightly bent at address that motion is a 'biceps curl'. In most of the Impact Backwards drills you start with your trail arm bent 90 deg so you will not have this motion.

At top of swing your lead shoulder should be further from the target than the ball ('behind' the ball), your trail arm should be bent as you described and the club will form an acute angle with your lead arm. There is no other requirement for top of swing. Note that the higher your hands go the further your trail elbow is from where it needs to be and the greater the difficulty in getting it back to where it needs to be at '6/100s'.

Your problems with driver are likely because of trying to hit it hard and other things breaking down as a result. A little loss of 'connection' between your lead arm and your chest and your lead arm can swing through impact without rotating resulting in a shot outside (slice or push). If you try to rotate your torso faster vs just returning to impact position you will likely start the rotation too soon and have the club outside of parallel to the target line at 6/100s resulting in a pull or pull-hook.

This is amplified if you loose the 'connection' of your lead foot which comes from keeping your led leg bent at the knee and not allowing your lead calf to tense up. When you keep your lead leg as it should be (and how it is when you practice impact position in the Impact Backwards drills) your lead foot will be 'rooted' to the ground and there will be no tendency of your lead foot to spin or move against the ground (no spikes necessary). This will cause your torso rotation to be around your lead hip (vs the center of your torso).

At the end of your swing you should be able to 'lower' the club and have it pointing at the target. If it points inside the target (pull) you did not get it right.

Peter

May 11th, 2012, 2:23 am #5

Now it is starting to make sense, this will give me a few keys to work on when i do the drills and in my full swing. I am pretty excited, I shot 38,39 and 42, 42 so far in league, my handicap dropped to a 3 which I think I can hold if I get my driver straightened out. My irons are golden but when they are not I have been getting up and down pretty good.

So thanks again Peter.