I KNOW you guys must have already heard of Greg Lavern

I KNOW you guys must have already heard of Greg Lavern

December 14th, 2011, 2:28 am #1

gsw

December 15th, 2011, 10:43 pm #2

His swing sure looks like Moe's swing to me but in an earlier post some time ago some of the experts on this forum pointed out many differences between the two swings. I wish that I could make either one of their swings.

Stan

December 17th, 2011, 9:14 am #3

To me, his swing looks like a good imitation of Moe's swing aesthetically, but not fundamentally.

Tom

December 18th, 2011, 9:37 pm #4

I'm trying to get aesthetically close to Hogan. My thinking was that if I got close to the aesthetics, that I would be that much closer to understanding the fundamentals. I'm interested in knowing what fundamental differences you see in Lavern vs Moe.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

December 19th, 2011, 2:23 pm #5

is not the same as close fundamentally. There are fundamentals that are not readily visible. Fundamentals affect ball flight, aesthetics don't.

Peter

December 19th, 2011, 4:26 pm #6

To me, his swing looks like a good imitation of Moe's swing aesthetically, but not fundamentally.

Tom
My view may not be popular on this board, but I will take Hogan as the best Ball stiker ever. Also if not for his Car wreck the best Golfer Ever. He had his carrer cut short and made it so much harder form him because of the car wreck to compete.

Hogan over Moe in my book !!

December 19th, 2011, 4:54 pm #7

Moe's ball striking for all its brilliance never
came within a whiff of the accomplishment that Hogan's
ball striking produced. They have to be appreciated
on totally different levels and for totally different
reasons.

December 19th, 2011, 4:58 pm #8

I'm trying to get aesthetically close to Hogan. My thinking was that if I got close to the aesthetics, that I would be that much closer to understanding the fundamentals. I'm interested in knowing what fundamental differences you see in Lavern vs Moe.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
The face of the clubhead.
While they both have eerily
similar body movements the striking
surfaces they are moving behave
differently.

December 20th, 2011, 1:48 am #9

Moe's ball striking for all its brilliance never
came within a whiff of the accomplishment that Hogan's
ball striking produced. They have to be appreciated
on totally different levels and for totally different
reasons.
I agree with you. Hogan was, no doubt, one of a kind. He will always have my admiration. But, if you could go back and put Hogan and Moe on the same level in all ways, then perhaps we might see them both in a different way as far as comparing them to each other. Of course, Ben Hogan will always be a legend, and well deserved. And so will Moe. Moe Norman could never compete with Ben Hogan for anything. They lived in different worlds with different mind sets. But you cannot look at Moe and his accomplishments, especially in light of the social problems he had, and not wonder just how much he might have accomplished had he been able to function in the world most people lived in. Reality is that there will never be a way to compare Hogan and Moe or anybody else with Moe. He was a unique individual with unique problems that prevented him from competing on the level I wish he could have competed on. Without Natural Golf most of us would never have heard of him. But if he could have competed in the world as he did in Canada the golf history books would probably have to be re-written. But, then again, what Hogan accomplished, especially considering the accident, is hard to imagine as humanly possible. There are many greats in all walks of life and each of them deserve their due.

December 20th, 2011, 9:08 am #10

Power in that swing
Moe short hitter in his old days.

if you want to copy them do it when they did things in their younger days.,
anything else is a lost cause.
Ben Hogans swing before accident was dynamic and powerful.
Moe Norman in his 30´s was so dynamic and not even close to his older day swings.

Understanding fundamentals are about leverage and body dynamics.
Mike Austin had those figured out.