Hybrid club review.

Hybrid club review.

gsw

September 30th, 2011, 4:51 pm #1

I have now played golf using my new set of hybrid clubs 3-pwhttp://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/orderp ... /0/0/0/0/0

The clubs are working the way I thought they would, I can easily get the ball up in the air and I hit each club about one and a half clubs longer than the same numbered iron. I am also impressed with way I can work the ball with these clubs. I have always thought that it would be hard to draw or fade a hybrid club but I can easily hit a draw or a fade with these clubs. I can hit the three hybrid so well that I will probably go ahead and order the two hybrid as the three hybrid only goes about 195 yards and I really need a few more yards from my longest fairway club than that and I don't seem to be able to hit any of my three woods very well. Overall I am very satisfied with this set of clubs and I am sure that the set will stay in my bag for a long time.

Stan
Last edited by gsw on September 30th, 2011, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gsw

October 1st, 2011, 4:42 am #2

I played again today using my new hybrid set. These clubs were made for my swing. My biggest problem is getting accustomed to the distance that each club flies on my approach shots. The ball flies very high and long with these clubs and that is a very good thing especially with the longer clubs. I hit an eight-iron approach shot today into the wind from 145 yards and it seemed to be in the air forever before it landed ten feet from the hole. As soon as I got back home from playing golf today I ordered the 16 degree 2 hybrid to use in the place of my three wood. So now my set makeup will be Driver, 2-pw hybrids, putter, 60-degree wedge, 56-degree wedge and a 49-degree pitching wedge.

I love these hybrid clubs.

Stan

October 1st, 2011, 11:55 pm #3

Stan, that's good to hear. I have the 7, 9, and AW shafted up, so I took them out the other day. I played 9 holes and took multiple approach shots, using one of those clubs as much as possible. I moved my ball to the right yardage when needed. I gained a few yards with the 7. The 9 was a wash, and the AW, I think I lost yards with it. They fly quite high and spin a lot. I really only had one big problem. If I hit one thin, it goes way too far. Much farther than an iron would.

If I was to make up a set for myself, it would probably stop at the 7 or 8 iron, max, on the short end.

gsw

October 2nd, 2011, 12:58 am #4

I can understand why the higher lofted clubs would not need to be replaced with hybrids. The reason that I bought the entire set was in an attempt to have a uniform distance gap between all the clubs in the set. So far I like all of the clubs. The clubs do go very high and about a club and a half longer than my old clubs. I hit the three hybrid for my second shot on an unreachable par five today and it went 215 yards with roll out. I am happy with that distance and I really like the high trajectory of the lower lofted hybrids. If I can hit the two hybrid that I have on the way as well as the three hybrid then my distances from the fairway will be much longer than with fairway woods. My old three wood would not go very high so I could never get much over 200 yards out of it. I hope to get 230 yards with roll out from the two hybrid under the right conditions with a carry of around 200 yards. If I can get these distances with the high trajectory then the change over to all hybrids will be a success.

Stan

October 3rd, 2011, 1:26 am #5

I have now played golf using my new set of hybrid clubs 3-pwhttp://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/orderp ... /0/0/0/0/0

The clubs are working the way I thought they would, I can easily get the ball up in the air and I hit each club about one and a half clubs longer than the same numbered iron. I am also impressed with way I can work the ball with these clubs. I have always thought that it would be hard to draw or fade a hybrid club but I can easily hit a draw or a fade with these clubs. I can hit the three hybrid so well that I will probably go ahead and order the two hybrid as the three hybrid only goes about 195 yards and I really need a few more yards from my longest fairway club than that and I don't seem to be able to hit any of my three woods very well. Overall I am very satisfied with this set of clubs and I am sure that the set will stay in my bag for a long time.

Stan
Hey Stan.

Did you add any length to these clubs or did you go standard?

Thanks

gsw

October 6th, 2011, 3:48 am #6

I told Hireko to make these clubs the standard length that they make hybrid clubs. The five hybrid is 39 inches measured from the heel of the club to the top of the grip. All the other clubs are one half inch shorter or longer through the set going down or up in number. I dont know if that is normal for hybrids or not.

Maybe Don or someone will chime in and tell us what length a normal five hybrid should be?

Stan

gsw

October 7th, 2011, 3:24 am #7

Stan
The two hybrid arrived yesterday and I took it out to the course today. The two hybrid is as easy to get up in the air as the three and goes about 15 yards longer. My second hole at my golf course is 350 yards long slightly uphill so it is very easy to calculate how far a tee shot travels by how much yardage is left to the green. I hit the two hybrid off the tee and had 125 yards left to the green so the two hybrid goes about 225 yards with my swing. I am very happy with these clubs. I have not ever had a three wood that I could hit so high and as far as I can hit this two hybrid. Clubs in my bad are Driver, 2-pw hybrids, 49 degree pw, 56 degree sw 60 degree wedge and a putter.

Stan

October 7th, 2011, 2:12 pm #8

Stan -- I have been following your hybrid discussion with a lot of interest. I have both fairway woods and hybrids in my bag, and have been slowly switching from the woods to hybrids off the fairway. Yesterday I played 18 holes on a local course. On the first hole, I hit my drive and then proceeded to top the next two fairway wood shots. For the remainder of the 18 holes of play, I switched from the fairway woods to using only my 5 and 6 hybrids from the fairway. Result, no more topped shots from the fairway. I ended the 18 holes shooting 3 or 4 shots better than my normal rounds on that golf course. Next time out, I will carry no fairway woods, and will carry hybrids 3, 4, 5, and 6 in place of the woods.

Thanks for your hybrid post. It has incouraged me to make this switch from woods to hybrids.

AllenG