Hogan's SECRET!!!

Hogan's SECRET!!!

August 18th, 2008, 5:08 am #1

LOL, try a google search on Hogan's secret and read some the stuff that comes up. A bunch of folks trying to make money by claiming that only they know Hogan's secret. It seems un-likely that all of those trying to get their hands in your wallet know Hogan's secret unless Hogan had a whole bunch of secrets! What a load of crap all of those claims are. Unless of course one of them is right... LOL

So, lets take a poll, how many of you folks out there reading this know or think that you might know what Hogan's secret was???

Regards, Herbert

August 18th, 2008, 11:45 am #2

I am guaranteed to hit a handful of pull hooks every round that
play havoc with generally straight ball flight. I can't fade the
ball. I have tried all the published "secrets" I can find and
none of them work for me. The key may be the "for me" but Hogan
stumbled on something that allowed him to hit fade after fade and
eliminate left side trouble. Oddly, if I cup my lead wrist I hit
a bigger hook.

August 18th, 2008, 2:53 pm #3

LOL, try a google search on Hogan's secret and read some the stuff that comes up. A bunch of folks trying to make money by claiming that only they know Hogan's secret. It seems un-likely that all of those trying to get their hands in your wallet know Hogan's secret unless Hogan had a whole bunch of secrets! What a load of crap all of those claims are. Unless of course one of them is right... LOL

So, lets take a poll, how many of you folks out there reading this know or think that you might know what Hogan's secret was???

Regards, Herbert
that he could consistently produce the impact condition that gave him his desired ball flight

The Shell match with Sam Snead is excellent for showing the consistency of Hogan's ball striking.

As to how to do it, Hogan has given explicit direction in a number of publications and films. You start the downswing with your lower body, you maintain the 'dog's hind leg' until late in the downswing, you insure your hands are ahead of the ball and a straight line is formed by your lead arm and the club (viewed perpendicular to the target line)at impact.

Peter

August 18th, 2008, 5:20 pm #4

Peter your explanation of the secret seems a lot like
Ike Handy's 'How to hit the ball straight'- well kinda

August 19th, 2008, 3:18 am #5

I am guaranteed to hit a handful of pull hooks every round that
play havoc with generally straight ball flight. I can't fade the
ball. I have tried all the published "secrets" I can find and
none of them work for me. The key may be the "for me" but Hogan
stumbled on something that allowed him to hit fade after fade and
eliminate left side trouble. Oddly, if I cup my lead wrist I hit
a bigger hook.
I read something where Hogan said that he opened the clubface as much as he could on his backswing and the cupping of the lead wrist was a result of that action. Hogan wanted to hit a fade but he did not want to loose distance and it seems that is how he hit the power fade. Open the clubhead way up and then release as hard as possible. Of course he also adjusted his lead hand weaker...

Regards, Herbert

August 19th, 2008, 6:04 pm #6

August 19th, 2008, 8:57 pm #7

I read something where Hogan said that he opened the clubface as much as he could on his backswing and the cupping of the lead wrist was a result of that action. Hogan wanted to hit a fade but he did not want to loose distance and it seems that is how he hit the power fade. Open the clubhead way up and then release as hard as possible. Of course he also adjusted his lead hand weaker...

Regards, Herbert
Film of Hogan from an angle that shows the lead wrist clearly does not show as much of a 'cup' as most would likely interpret from the thought of opening the clubface all the way. In fact given the 'natural position of the wrist has a slight angle between back of hand and forearm I would not rate Hogan's 'cupping' as more than the natural angle.

Peter

August 19th, 2008, 10:24 pm #8

on what shot he was hitting. He said that he cupped the wrist to hit a fade. The picture that you show could be of a draw swing. I do have some Golf Digest pictures of older Hogan that show a very clear cupped wrist at the top that anyone could see. The golf digest pictures are closer up and not blurred and show a cupped wrist very clearly.

Regards, Herbert

August 20th, 2008, 2:11 pm #9

it is reported that Hogan changed his swing to prevent hooks and that the new swing had a 'cupped' wrist. The picture I posted is from a film clip of Hogan after that change. The shot landed in the fairway. Where did the shot land in the swing shown in the GD photos you have? Perhaps Hogan was attempting a larger fade in those photos.

It can also be the case that if the angle is not perfect, radial deviation of the wrist can appear to be cupping. The first frame of the following clip may appear to some to show a 'cup' but it is clear as the perspective changes in the next two frames that to the extent there is a 'cup' it is minimal:

Peter

August 20th, 2008, 2:59 pm #10

on what shot he was hitting. He said that he cupped the wrist to hit a fade. The picture that you show could be of a draw swing. I do have some Golf Digest pictures of older Hogan that show a very clear cupped wrist at the top that anyone could see. The golf digest pictures are closer up and not blurred and show a cupped wrist very clearly.

Regards, Herbert

Peter