Hogan Project: The path of Hogan's club during the waggle...

Hogan Project: The path of Hogan's club during the waggle...

January 12th, 2012, 3:47 am #1

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I had no idea that Hogan's club went in a loop during the waggle, from high to low, in a circular motion. I always thought it went straight back away from the ball, then straight back to the ball.

It's kinda difficult to see from the DTL and FO views.

gsw

January 12th, 2012, 5:46 am #2

How are you going to learn to do that?

Stan

January 12th, 2012, 11:56 am #3

Gonna learn it the same way I'm doing the rest. Just watching the video. I put the Hogan footage in suuuuuuper slow mo repeat, and I record myself doing it at the same speed. I put myself and Hogan side-by-side and run the vids back frame-by-frame. If they match, I change the Hogan footage from suuuuuuper slow mo to just a little faster, then I record myself at this new speed. This is repeated until I am satisfied with how it looks. Then I practice that movement for the next few months until it feels natural.

One note on the Hogan footage. Lets say that the waggle vid I posted is 1 minute, 11 seconds. I will only practice the first 5 seconds of it. So, if in slow mo, the entire waggle lasts 1:11, I will focus on the first 15 seconds worth, which would be enough for him to left the club about 2 inches. Once the first 15 seconds looks close and I get an understanding of how it feels, I will then focus on the first 20 seconds, and so on.

The same way my daughter is learning to dance on the Wii game.

October 22nd, 2013, 6:55 pm #4

Hogan was fighting the left shot all his life. If you are a slicer I would recommend rotating your waggle in the exact opposite direction as Hogan.

I recently discovered this move and it helps my right shots immensely.

And if you rotate your waggle counter clockwise (as I suggest) you will feel the muscles in your hands engage just as Hogan describes. Pressure in the middle two fingers of your right hand and last 3 fingers of your left. Try it out and let me know.

October 26th, 2013, 1:57 pm #5

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I had no idea that Hogan's club went in a loop during the waggle, from high to low, in a circular motion. I always thought it went straight back away from the ball, then straight back to the ball.

of the waggle. From the perspective shown it looks as if he raises the club up, and then takes it back away from the target in that raised up position, and then he lets the club come down lower back to the height of the ball. Watch his left arm bend as the club moves up, then he waggles back away from the ball, then the arm straightens as the club comes back to the ball.

If he did not pick up the club it would likely be the same path back away, and into the ball.

October 26th, 2013, 3:44 pm #6

Hogan used different waggles depending on the shot that he wanted to hit. I don't know if varied the path of the waggle but I would not be surprised if he did. According to Ken Venturi he also swung differently on pretty much every swing depending on what he wanted the ball to do. Venturi noticed that Hogan's follow through varied from shot to shot. Hogan also changed his backswing as far as slightly cupped or flat lead wrist at the top and I believe that he also varied his backswing plane to some extent at times depending on the course he was playing.

So, it seems to me that you have a bit of a moving target to hit in trying to replicate Hogan's swing...

Regards, Herbert