Hit Impulse

Hit Impulse

August 8th, 2011, 9:16 pm #1

I've decided to stop chasing my tail with swing variations for a while. They are all pretty good through impact until I take them to the course. Then they become outside in.

I hate that.

I think the hit impulse is one of the biggest but least recognized obstacles in golf. So is that what Clearkey is all about?

August 8th, 2011, 10:53 pm #2

you want it to be.

Clearkey is a way to help you execute your 'best swing'. If you've trained your 'best swing' to eliminate hit impulse then Clearkey will help. However if you've not trained your 'best swing' to eliminate hit impulse then it will not.

Given that it takes a tour pro years to implement swing changes I don't think there's any reason to think that it will happen faster with an am and any diversion to alternate techniques/philosophies in the time will only make the time longer.

Peter

August 8th, 2011, 11:22 pm #3

My best swings are real good. Plenty good enough for me. I just don't seem to make them on the course enough because I think too much about what I'm doing. And I definitely have the hit impulse happening.

A couple of weeks ago my driver was point and shoot for a week or so. I was not thinking about what to do, at least not too much. I was hitting straight, or working it: fades, draws (sometimes), high, as needed. It was great. Then I started working harder on "being IMA" with my irons. Now I'm back to thinking about what to do when I swing, and trying to kill the ball.

I shoot the about the same no matter what, because I keep my misses in play. But it's aggravating to not make my good swings more often.

I readily accept that something like Bertholy would probably help train my swing. But I'm most concerned with overcoming the hit impulse and having the appropriate state of mind for the swing.

August 9th, 2011, 12:55 am #4

Snowman:

"I readily accept that something like Bertholy would probably help train my swing. But I'm most concerned with overcoming the hit impulse and having the appropriate state of mind for the swing."

That is a basic summary of why I wrote my book....it is a integration of solid swing fundamentals AND a superior mental technique. When the two are combined in the proper manner, you get a synergy of learning that is a level above what either can do by themselves. In my own experience, I improved lots just by working the Bertholy programs, but I really took off once I started applying Clearkey principles in practice and playing.

Carey Mumford, the inventor and creator of the Clearkey concept wrote the forward to my book here is part of what he has to say about the approach taken in my book:
....That's why, when I first heard about Kevin's plan to write the book you are about to read, I was very pleased to discover that he had determined that there must be solid attention to the quintessential need for balance between what goes in one's hands and body and what goes on in the front side and backside of a player's mind.

Not only does his book address this handily, if you bother to check, you will see that no one else, at least since the 1920s, has approached both halves of the matter, completely, carefully and comprehensively. There are literally millions of pages on the golf swing, and even quite a few that seem to address the mental concerns, but the latter always comes up short of how the mind works with shot-execution. Kevin brings the two together, firmly and accurately, with authority and easily understood descriptions that you will find in these pages.
If you want to read the complete forward he wrote you can read it here

To your specific question(s) -

The hit impulse is a built in motor-neuro pathway that resides within us for striking things. When we "swing", our sub-conscious looks for a "program" or "instruction set" to send to our muscles to hit the ball. Unless we have trained to build in a different "instruction set", the subconscious will choose the one that is pre-eminent and execute the "hit" with that pathway. Only by building in stronger pathway's do you have a chance at the hit impulse not being the active one during the swing. The rub is that not only must you build this pathway in, but then it must be activated and "put into play" once it is built.

And that is both bad news and good news. It is bad news because as Peter already mentioned, it takes effort to build in a new pathway or action, and most people don't stay the course and put in the reps. The good news is that our subconscious is very adept at finding the best motor-nuero pathway to execute a given task. So the more ingrained the new pathway becomes, the better chance there is that the subconscious will "pick" that one instead of one it knows won't get the job done as well. Using a clearkey activates your subconscious as the "director" of the execution stage of the swing.

Consciously thinking about a task that we can execute without thinking about it actually will cause a degradation in performance. The best athletic performance is done with unthinking involvement. Using a clearkey gives you the best chance to get your best on every shot, because your subconscious always seeks the best pathway to execute the task at hand. Of course the rub is that the subconscious can only use what is there....if you don't have good habits installed, then it is impossible for the subconscious to produce a better one, and it picks "best available". This why players sometimes play worse using clearkey that when not using it.

I made a video on using a clearkey to play your best golf. It's a pretty good explanation of the process. Carey Mumford has watched the video and says it articulates very well what is involved in the use of a clearkey and the automatic process. And then this video talks about how you practice using training aids in conjunction with a clearkey.

So, I hope this helps you. And I think you are definitely on the cusp of an epiphany in you own golf journey. The more you focus on the Absolutes, the less on this or that "system", the better you will swing the club. Any swing method will work if you have the Absolutes, none of them will if you don't!

Kevin
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!
Last edited by mcirishman57 on August 9th, 2011, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 9th, 2011, 1:30 am #5

There are some very good insights in there. I can sense that you and Peter are right about spending enough time to ingrain the desired movements.

I was poking around your website and videos earlier today as a matter of fact. I sent you an email but your post here answers my questions.

I've been working a lot on becoming aware of what's happening in my swing, more than fixing it. I've realized I'm quite a head case, for one thing.

Welcome to the Camp,
I guess you all know why we're here.
My name is Tommy
and I became aware this year....

August 9th, 2011, 3:32 am #6

Snowman:

"I readily accept that something like Bertholy would probably help train my swing. But I'm most concerned with overcoming the hit impulse and having the appropriate state of mind for the swing."

That is a basic summary of why I wrote my book....it is a integration of solid swing fundamentals AND a superior mental technique. When the two are combined in the proper manner, you get a synergy of learning that is a level above what either can do by themselves. In my own experience, I improved lots just by working the Bertholy programs, but I really took off once I started applying Clearkey principles in practice and playing.

Carey Mumford, the inventor and creator of the Clearkey concept wrote the forward to my book here is part of what he has to say about the approach taken in my book:
....That's why, when I first heard about Kevin's plan to write the book you are about to read, I was very pleased to discover that he had determined that there must be solid attention to the quintessential need for balance between what goes in one's hands and body and what goes on in the front side and backside of a player's mind.

Not only does his book address this handily, if you bother to check, you will see that no one else, at least since the 1920s, has approached both halves of the matter, completely, carefully and comprehensively. There are literally millions of pages on the golf swing, and even quite a few that seem to address the mental concerns, but the latter always comes up short of how the mind works with shot-execution. Kevin brings the two together, firmly and accurately, with authority and easily understood descriptions that you will find in these pages.
If you want to read the complete forward he wrote you can read it here

To your specific question(s) -

The hit impulse is a built in motor-neuro pathway that resides within us for striking things. When we "swing", our sub-conscious looks for a "program" or "instruction set" to send to our muscles to hit the ball. Unless we have trained to build in a different "instruction set", the subconscious will choose the one that is pre-eminent and execute the "hit" with that pathway. Only by building in stronger pathway's do you have a chance at the hit impulse not being the active one during the swing. The rub is that not only must you build this pathway in, but then it must be activated and "put into play" once it is built.

And that is both bad news and good news. It is bad news because as Peter already mentioned, it takes effort to build in a new pathway or action, and most people don't stay the course and put in the reps. The good news is that our subconscious is very adept at finding the best motor-nuero pathway to execute a given task. So the more ingrained the new pathway becomes, the better chance there is that the subconscious will "pick" that one instead of one it knows won't get the job done as well. Using a clearkey activates your subconscious as the "director" of the execution stage of the swing.

Consciously thinking about a task that we can execute without thinking about it actually will cause a degradation in performance. The best athletic performance is done with unthinking involvement. Using a clearkey gives you the best chance to get your best on every shot, because your subconscious always seeks the best pathway to execute the task at hand. Of course the rub is that the subconscious can only use what is there....if you don't have good habits installed, then it is impossible for the subconscious to produce a better one, and it picks "best available". This why players sometimes play worse using clearkey that when not using it.

I made a video on using a clearkey to play your best golf. It's a pretty good explanation of the process. Carey Mumford has watched the video and says it articulates very well what is involved in the use of a clearkey and the automatic process. And then this video talks about how you practice using training aids in conjunction with a clearkey.

So, I hope this helps you. And I think you are definitely on the cusp of an epiphany in you own golf journey. The more you focus on the Absolutes, the less on this or that "system", the better you will swing the club. Any swing method will work if you have the Absolutes, none of them will if you don't!

Kevin
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence

I have a friend who has a very good pathway ingrained for a decent swing. The problem is that it only happens on his practice swing. On his ball swing the pathway that is activated throws the trail elbow out behind the club and kind of shoves the club through the ball. It seems that he is and extreme case of what ails a lot of us...

Both programs are extremely well ingrained and he cannot change either one no matter how hard he tries. He cannot throw his elbow out on his practice swing and he cannot change his ball swing by trying to keep the elbow in or any other swing thought. He does hit it better on the range and sometimes okay on the course but often goes really bad on the course with a lot of anger involved. It is all there; the fear and doubt that Remington talked about and the hit impulse and every other problem known to golfers... Kind of like Charles Barkley I think. I think that we are all a bit closer to Sir Charles then we would like to admit...

Regards, Herbert

August 9th, 2011, 11:02 am #7

to activate his practice swing pathway. If it is there, he can activate it. He has to be able to give his subconscious the chance to pick the pathway. My guess is he is not "priming the pump" correctly with his pre-shot. The pre-shot is like making sure you have the correct CD in the player, and then making sure you punch the right track number you want to listen to on your CD player. Once you press the buttons, the song plays automatically by the player.

What he should do is in pre-shot, take his practice swing, and then tell himself that is the swing he wants...take a deep breath then move to automatic and begin his clearkey as he walks to the ball. Perhaps he can also show himself the correct elbow position in pre-shot.

For practice, he does an expanded version of this....He has a very precise and defined pre-shot before he makes each practice swing, and he rehearses the correct elbow position in great detail. Then he steps around to the ball and makes a practice swing, then perhaps another, if he is feeling it, on the third he just steps to the ball and makes another practice swing...except this time the ball is just in the way. The timing between his no ball practice swings and the ball practice swings must be no longer than within 1-3 seconds after his last no ball swing. He does this four times.

Now he gives his subconscious a chance to learn and access this practice swing. From behind the ball, he makes his practice swing....feeling it, noting his correct elbow position. After his last practice swing, he grips his club tightly as he inhales, tenses his whole body up, and as he exhales he releases his tension, tells himself he wants his best practice swing on the ball, and that he is going to automatic and begins saying his clearkey, repeating it until the ball is away and he is in his finish. He does this four times, and then repeats until he has hit 32 balls.

By using a precise pre-shot, and practicing that way, he is presenting precise and detailed conscious information to the subconscious for execution. The conscious mind cannot play the CD, it can only select the cd, insert it into the player, and select the track. The subconscious is the cd player.

Practicing using his clearkey, forces him to yield to unconscious direction. The more comfortable he gets with it in practice, the better he will do on the course. it takes some time to learn to trust the automatic process and let go....some more than others... but an anybody can do this...if they want to.

kevin

Last edited by mcirishman57 on August 9th, 2011, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

gsw

August 10th, 2011, 2:29 am #8

I have a friend who has a very good pathway ingrained for a decent swing. The problem is that it only happens on his practice swing. On his ball swing the pathway that is activated throws the trail elbow out behind the club and kind of shoves the club through the ball. It seems that he is and extreme case of what ails a lot of us...

Both programs are extremely well ingrained and he cannot change either one no matter how hard he tries. He cannot throw his elbow out on his practice swing and he cannot change his ball swing by trying to keep the elbow in or any other swing thought. He does hit it better on the range and sometimes okay on the course but often goes really bad on the course with a lot of anger involved. It is all there; the fear and doubt that Remington talked about and the hit impulse and every other problem known to golfers... Kind of like Charles Barkley I think. I think that we are all a bit closer to Sir Charles then we would like to admit...

Regards, Herbert
If your friend would do the IMA drills for 21 days like Scott says on the IMA DVD then how could he help but not swing the same way the IMA drills teach him to swing? Isn't that how the drills work? Do the drills and that will ingrain a new swing and the old swing will be gone?

Stan

August 10th, 2011, 3:03 am #9

Drills only work if they are preformed correctly which does not happen in this case.

Regards, Herbert

August 10th, 2011, 3:05 am #10

to activate his practice swing pathway. If it is there, he can activate it. He has to be able to give his subconscious the chance to pick the pathway. My guess is he is not "priming the pump" correctly with his pre-shot. The pre-shot is like making sure you have the correct CD in the player, and then making sure you punch the right track number you want to listen to on your CD player. Once you press the buttons, the song plays automatically by the player.

What he should do is in pre-shot, take his practice swing, and then tell himself that is the swing he wants...take a deep breath then move to automatic and begin his clearkey as he walks to the ball. Perhaps he can also show himself the correct elbow position in pre-shot.

For practice, he does an expanded version of this....He has a very precise and defined pre-shot before he makes each practice swing, and he rehearses the correct elbow position in great detail. Then he steps around to the ball and makes a practice swing, then perhaps another, if he is feeling it, on the third he just steps to the ball and makes another practice swing...except this time the ball is just in the way. The timing between his no ball practice swings and the ball practice swings must be no longer than within 1-3 seconds after his last no ball swing. He does this four times.

Now he gives his subconscious a chance to learn and access this practice swing. From behind the ball, he makes his practice swing....feeling it, noting his correct elbow position. After his last practice swing, he grips his club tightly as he inhales, tenses his whole body up, and as he exhales he releases his tension, tells himself he wants his best practice swing on the ball, and that he is going to automatic and begins saying his clearkey, repeating it until the ball is away and he is in his finish. He does this four times, and then repeats until he has hit 32 balls.

By using a precise pre-shot, and practicing that way, he is presenting precise and detailed conscious information to the subconscious for execution. The conscious mind cannot play the CD, it can only select the cd, insert it into the player, and select the track. The subconscious is the cd player.

Practicing using his clearkey, forces him to yield to unconscious direction. The more comfortable he gets with it in practice, the better he will do on the course. it takes some time to learn to trust the automatic process and let go....some more than others... but an anybody can do this...if they want to.

kevin

LOL I wish that I could send him to you. Might cause you to quit the game completely...

Or maybe you could work a miracle!

Regards, Herbert