Hey Peter

Hey Peter

October 31st, 2008, 4:06 am #1

I believe that you mentioned in an earlier post that you have a couple of sets of IMA irons. How do like playing them?

I think that you said that you are playing blade style irons now? If so why the blades as opposed to the IMA irons?

Regards, Herbert

October 31st, 2008, 8:36 pm #2

I've played blades for a long time now. I never played the IMA irons regularly. I got them out of loyalty to the method and interest in what Scott told me about the clubhead design.

The backs of the clubheads is really ugly but seemed to offer the opportunity for variable weighting. I mentioned this to Don but nothing materialized on that. The clubheads are small (like a blade).

They feel a bit 'dead' to me but that is the case with all cavity back irons I've tried (I acquire 'sample' 5 irons so I can compare feel). The ball goes 5-10 yards further with the IMA irons than with my blades.

I like my Golfsmith forged blades best and that is what I play. Yes I know they aren't made anymore but I have a private stock that will likely out live me My second favorite club is the Titleist forged blade with the IMA clubs coming next tied with my Wilson blades (and ahead of my Mizuno blades). All the others (I have about 15 'sample' 5 irons) are way back for me.

The irons that I consider REALLY revolutionary are both made by Golfworks - The Glider-X and the AST. I think these are THE best irons for the regular golfer. They have wide soles so they are less likely to dig in on fat shots and the low CG makes a trajectory difference that I can see even on a 10 step pitch. I made a set for a friend that loves them and also a set for my wife. If you have a problem getting the ball up these will help.

Peter

November 1st, 2008, 1:07 am #3

It sounds like you have sets of Golfsmith forged heads that have not been shafted up yet?

Why do you like the Golfsmith heads best? Playability? Looks?

I have an IMA 7 iron and you are right in that the head is a bit on the ugly side. This does not bother me though... There are two weight ports on the back that can be used to move the center of gravity up or down. Mine has the lead on the bottom. I think that it has propel micro taper shaft in it. It seems to work pretty well, I use for drilling mostly.

Regards, Herbert

November 1st, 2008, 8:35 pm #4

In addition to the set I play I have 2 additional sets and a set of unshafted heads.

I like the way the GS blades look but I also like the way the Mizuno's look as well as my Wilson's and the Titleist. Feel is obviously subjective but all 4 feel very different to me. The Mizuno's feel a bit dead (though not a dead as cavity backs. The Wilson's feel very 'compliant'. It's almost as though I can feel the clubhead flexing. Not unpleasant; rather it feels 'lively'. The GS blades are less 'lively' but not at all dead. The best combination for me.

The weght ports in the back were used to balance the clubs but there was no 'user adjustability'. My suggestion was to thread the port and have a 'cup that could screw in and out. These could either be preweighted in different weights or allow the golfer/experimenter to put in their own weight.

Peter