Here it is. The secret for more EFFICIENT distance and accuracy!

Here it is. The secret for more EFFICIENT distance and accuracy!

April 4th, 2011, 11:23 am #1

First - I have a nice video made with good audio and full explanation, but the dern thang failed during upload last night( 2 GB file ), so this will have to do for now.

First the exercise...Basically you just reverse your hands and do Imprint / Program 1...trying to stretch the trail wrist back as much as possible:

Notice also the nice stretch you get on your lead side lats and shoulders!

From there you just make the Vital Move and transport the arms back down to impact, maintaining the stretch all the way:

Do this experiment to prove to yourself the value. you will need a swing speed meter. As you can see, I have the Medicus model attached to my club. For the experiment, you simply swing back to approx the 9 o'clock stop, hold and then swing through. Do this first without bending your trail wrist back and note your speed. Then, swing to the 9 o'clock stop again, but this time, bend your trail wrist back, hold and then swing through again and note your speed. It will be tons faster. Again, sorry bout the video not being ready, but here's the proof:

So I make the same swing, and I get much more club head speed. Obviously, this is a very good thing! So incorporate some of these "reverse Imprint" stretches into your practice and over time your trail wrist will become more flexible and strong and you will be able hold it bent back more through the impact zone. This will encourage an involuntary "release" preventing the "flip", add speed at impact, and improve the ability to keep the club face square.

When I get the video to finally load , I will post the link.

Kevin
"A Blueprint For Golf Excellence"

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

April 4th, 2011, 12:43 pm #2

I'll have to give this a whirl tonight. Personally, I would add one thing. Bend your trail wrist back and pronate it a bit. This will help with squaring the club face at impact. Kelvin calls this the "stop sign move" as though you are motioning for someone behind you to stop by holding your trail palm up to them.

I was hitting a BirdieBall in my front yard this weekend (a BirdieBall looks like a plastic napkin ring holder and flies about 1/5th of the distance of a real ball.) I usually hit it in the front of the yard back towards the house and it lands about 30ft short of the house. I was playing around with pushing the trail palm-heel forward in the DS and was hitting the house with the birdie ball. So yes, it does seem to promote more speed/distance.

April 4th, 2011, 3:20 pm #3

I just got these this season and they are great. I have probably hit more practice 5 irons already than a whole month of range time!

They step down easily into the ground and so are perfect for Divot Master / Golden exercise and work well for the "pine cone". I have also completed a video of that exercise (and Divot Master / Golden Exercise) using these and when it uploads will link it up.

Kevin
Last edited by mcirishman57 on April 4th, 2011, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 4th, 2011, 5:25 pm #4

First - I have a nice video made with good audio and full explanation, but the dern thang failed during upload last night( 2 GB file ), so this will have to do for now.

First the exercise...Basically you just reverse your hands and do Imprint / Program 1...trying to stretch the trail wrist back as much as possible:

From there you just make the Vital Move and transport the arms back down to impact, maintaining the stretch all the way:

Do this experiment to prove to yourself the value. you will need a swing speed meter. As you can see, I have the Medicus model attached to my club. For the experiment, you simply swing back to approx the 9 o'clock stop, hold and then swing through. Do this first without bending your trail wrist back and note your speed. Then, swing to the 9 o'clock stop again, but this time, bend your trail wrist back, hold and then swing through again and note your speed. It will be tons faster. Again, sorry bout the video not being ready, but here's the proof:

So I make the same swing, and I get much more club head speed. Obviously, this is a very good thing! So incorporate some of these "reverse Imprint" stretches into your practice and over time your trail wrist will become more flexible and strong and you will be able hold it bent back more through the impact zone. This will encourage an involuntary "release" preventing the "flip", add speed at impact, and improve the ability to keep the club face square.

Kevin

I like the idea, and have never seen that one before.

Are you comparing swings before the drill, with swings after the drill for your speed measurement? Or was that one swing not cocking the wrists and then one with cocking?

I will give it a try tomorrow.

Ham

April 4th, 2011, 7:12 pm #5

I did two swings each. The first two were done with no trail wrist bend. Note speed

Then I did two swings with the the trail wrist bent. Note speed.

A progression from this is to learn "down cocking" - increasing the wrist bend to maximum AFTER you start to move back to the lead side. You swing to the 9 o'clock stop, hold, then bend your lead wrist back as before, then AFTER you bump the lead knee, and begin the downswing, try and bend it back even more. I've gotten it as high as 104 mph using down cocking and just this 1/2 swing from a standstill at 9 o'clock stop.

Kevin

April 4th, 2011, 7:33 pm #6

I just got these this season and they are great. I have probably hit more practice 5 irons already than a whole month of range time!

They step down easily into the ground and so are perfect for Divot Master / Golden exercise and work well for the "pine cone". I have also completed a video of that exercise (and Divot Master / Golden Exercise) using these and when it uploads will link it up.

Kevin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj-i4dXUyRo

Listen to that buzz!

April 4th, 2011, 8:14 pm #7

I did two swings each. The first two were done with no trail wrist bend. Note speed

Then I did two swings with the the trail wrist bent. Note speed.

A progression from this is to learn "down cocking" - increasing the wrist bend to maximum AFTER you start to move back to the lead side. You swing to the 9 o'clock stop, hold, then bend your lead wrist back as before, then AFTER you bump the lead knee, and begin the downswing, try and bend it back even more. I've gotten it as high as 104 mph using down cocking and just this 1/2 swing from a standstill at 9 o'clock stop.

Kevin

to get my hands farthest forward at impact is to try and reach past the ball with the heel of the trail hand. Don't know what the impact of that is on swing speed though.

April 4th, 2011, 8:22 pm #8

Kevin

That seems like a clever idea and I am going to try it.

One thought that I have is that you have reversed the roles of the rod and claw. The rod is retaining and the claw is tugging or hitting. I am not sure if this is a pattern that you want to ingrain in your brain?

Regards, Herbert

April 4th, 2011, 9:16 pm #9

The exercise is just a static stretch and hold....the only purpose of which is to improve the strength, flexibility, and range of motion in the trail wrist...nothing more.
Like when I stretch my lats at the gym...I reach up...grab the over head bar..then let the weight of my body "fall" as I hang on and stretch and hold for 30 seconds.

The experiment is different than the stretching. The experiment could be done as a drill to teach you dynamically how to increase your speed as you fire through impact. It "works" because you see immediately the results of the improved action. So, for example you could do four reps focusing on increasing trail wrist bend to max....then do four real swings on clearkey with that idea as your pre-shot.

The opportunity for improved consistency lies in the fact that you are generating more efficient speed, and thus not over swinging. The PGA tour average swing speed for 5 iron is around 95 mph - according to Trackman. So to be able to make a simple swing, that produces good club head speed and a square club face without conscious manipulation is a real good thing.

The video upload failed again..but when it finally loads, you won't believe the simplicity...I have a clip at 240 fps and you can see the improved action through the impact zone really good and how the increased club head speed actually pulls me around more...

Kevin

April 4th, 2011, 9:40 pm #10

Kevin

This is 240 fps showing the two swings in the experiment. The first swing is done without bending the wrist back, the second is done with the wrist bent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkiiuEhxEwo

75 vs 98

Pretty cool stuff!

Kevin

Last edited by mcirishman57 on April 5th, 2011, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.