Heard Super Swing

Heard Super Swing

May 28th, 2012, 1:59 am #1

I went to the HSS 5-6 years ago due to inconsistency with CG swing. After reading the HSS methodology I believe I've never really performed the HSS correctly according to Joe Donnely. Do you cock the wrists before starting the backswing then from a cocked position move the club back? I really would like to get this right as I don't want to go back to the CG swing. I WAS having more consistent results with HSS for several years but now have lost it. I really think I was not doing HSS truly just the conventional golf swing with a strong grip. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

P Meme

May 28th, 2012, 3:47 pm #2

Dolman, who is really the model for the HSS swing, does not cock his wrist before starting the back swing so don't be concerned about that.

You said you've lost your consistent results; what is the problem you're having now?

Peter

gsw

May 29th, 2012, 4:15 am #3

I went to the HSS 5-6 years ago due to inconsistency with CG swing. After reading the HSS methodology I believe I've never really performed the HSS correctly according to Joe Donnely. Do you cock the wrists before starting the backswing then from a cocked position move the club back? I really would like to get this right as I don't want to go back to the CG swing. I WAS having more consistent results with HSS for several years but now have lost it. I really think I was not doing HSS truly just the conventional golf swing with a strong grip. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

P Meme
Although my golf swing does not really fit into any of the SA swing models as taught by the SA swing teachers I do use a very strong left hand grip similar to the HSS swing left hand grip. Because I do not make much of a shoulder turn in my back swing I tend to hit the ball better when I use an early set of the wrist. If I try to swing without wrist cock then I tend to make a bigger shoulder turn and that destroys my swing. In the HSS swing video they actually hit some short chip shots using only some wrist cock but they also say in the video to make a one piece takeaway when making a back swing so I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that I hit the ball better when I make a wrist cock in my back swing.

Do you have the HSS video?

Stan

June 4th, 2012, 1:38 am #4

Dolman, who is really the model for the HSS swing, does not cock his wrist before starting the back swing so don't be concerned about that.

You said you've lost your consistent results; what is the problem you're having now?

Peter
As I said I don't think I really ever held the club correctly until now in the HSS. When I started cocking the wrist first that threw me off so I may go back to not doing that, but I started hooking the ball mostly or topping the ball on the fairway especially with a 5 wood off the fairway.

P Meme

June 4th, 2012, 1:44 am #5

Although my golf swing does not really fit into any of the SA swing models as taught by the SA swing teachers I do use a very strong left hand grip similar to the HSS swing left hand grip. Because I do not make much of a shoulder turn in my back swing I tend to hit the ball better when I use an early set of the wrist. If I try to swing without wrist cock then I tend to make a bigger shoulder turn and that destroys my swing. In the HSS swing video they actually hit some short chip shots using only some wrist cock but they also say in the video to make a one piece takeaway when making a back swing so I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that I hit the ball better when I make a wrist cock in my back swing.

Do you have the HSS video?

Stan
Yes I have the video. The problem I have always had is keeping my left arm straight i.e. no elbow bend, to the top of the backswing. I am short armed 5'6'' 58 yrs old and cannot swing back very far at all without my left elbow starting to bend slightly. That probably throws off my swing plane somewhat. Any thoughts on that?

P Meme

June 5th, 2012, 3:23 am #6

As I said I don't think I really ever held the club correctly until now in the HSS. When I started cocking the wrist first that threw me off so I may go back to not doing that, but I started hooking the ball mostly or topping the ball on the fairway especially with a 5 wood off the fairway.

P Meme
is a result of the club head getting to the ball ahead of your hands. With HSS it is MANDATORY that your hands be ahead of the ball at impact. The likely reason for this is too much trail arm involvement. Remember that it is supposed to be a DUAL karate chop and the hands do not 'roll over' at the end of that. This is also the likely cause of topping the ball.

Peter

June 5th, 2012, 6:17 pm #7

To add to Peter's comments:

HSS is a dual karate chop;so,your wrists hinge on the plane of the swing. Look at Jason Dufner's waggle (not his swing.) Notice how he takes the club on an inside path with the waggle? Instead of a one-piece takeaway, start your swing by hinging your wrists back/inside on the plane of the swing. Once you have moved about 1/2 of your wrist hinge to the inside, start your shoulder turn and continue to complete the hinge as your move to the top of your backswing. This initial move also helps preset the wrists into the 6/100 position for impact with the HSS. This move stops me from the violent hooks that can come with HSS. I still get an occasional pulled shot,but no hooks.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="315"></embed></object>

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA

Regards,
Bob

June 6th, 2012, 1:25 am #8

P Meme
...is instead of using the strong grip they recommend I use a neutral grip with a closed club face and take it back closed. On the downswing lagging will square up the clubface and keep it from closing. I let the wrist cock naturally and if anything I feel more "one piece" This hybrid version works for me and maybe something you could try or play around with...

Brad

June 7th, 2012, 2:51 am #9

is a result of the club head getting to the ball ahead of your hands. With HSS it is MANDATORY that your hands be ahead of the ball at impact. The likely reason for this is too much trail arm involvement. Remember that it is supposed to be a DUAL karate chop and the hands do not 'roll over' at the end of that. This is also the likely cause of topping the ball.

Peter
A thread started by a poster looking for discussion or advice on a particular SA swing should be answered by those who use that swing and is not a thread for other points or debate ....

This is from the Moderator's Statement.

Peter

Erv

June 7th, 2012, 3:07 pm #10

...is instead of using the strong grip they recommend I use a neutral grip with a closed club face and take it back closed. On the downswing lagging will square up the clubface and keep it from closing. I let the wrist cock naturally and if anything I feel more "one piece" This hybrid version works for me and maybe something you could try or play around with...

Brad
Brad, it's funny you mention that. I have tried that at times in the past. I have mixed results. I can hit some nice shots but then again I can hit some ugly ones also. I have not stayed with it long enough to work out the kinks. I may give it another try and really try to allow my hands to lead the club head through the ball, creating the lag and helping to square up the club face as you mentioned.

Erv