Hammy Putter

Hammy Putter

gsw

September 22nd, 2009, 9:46 pm #1

Since I already putt side saddle I thought that I would try putting 45 degrees open and putt Hammy style. I bent one of my old side saddle putters to a flat enough lie so that I could use it Hammy style and cut if off to 38 1/2 inches. So far the results have been mixed. I seem to putt much better on putts over 10 or 15 feet but I putt much worse on the shorter putts. I have a real Hammy putter on the way that I bought on Ebay, maybe it will work a little better. Anyone else out there putt with a Hammy? If so how does it work for you and do you have any tips you can share with me?

Stan

September 24th, 2009, 12:48 pm #2

The " hammy " putter will work fine. Remember to stroke through the shot and keep the hands moving so as to keep the putter head going down the target line. If you quit on the shot then you play army putt. Left,right,left, etc.

gsw

September 25th, 2009, 2:52 am #3

The Hammy came in today. It has been so wet here in the South that playing golf has been impossible, I will try out the Hammy as soon as the weather clears up.

Stan

gsw

September 26th, 2009, 3:58 am #4

Since I already putt side saddle I thought that I would try putting 45 degrees open and putt Hammy style. I bent one of my old side saddle putters to a flat enough lie so that I could use it Hammy style and cut if off to 38 1/2 inches. So far the results have been mixed. I seem to putt much better on putts over 10 or 15 feet but I putt much worse on the shorter putts. I have a real Hammy putter on the way that I bought on Ebay, maybe it will work a little better. Anyone else out there putt with a Hammy? If so how does it work for you and do you have any tips you can share with me?

Stan
I putted with my new Hammy putter today and I seemed to make every putt. It may be the new club phenomena so I will wait before I say that the putter is magic.

Stan

September 26th, 2009, 1:21 pm #5

Stan
Since I am stongly right eye dominant, I switched to his putter to better see the line of the putt. Also because putting is basically a right handed action (for rt handers). This 45 degree open method turned out to be extremely accurate and makes lag putting easy. Suggest using a narrow stance and pushing the putter rather than swinging it. As has been said, keep both hands moving and push through the ball rather than hitting at it. Experiment with how much you spine tilt. You don't need a big back swing; judge the distance like you would throw a ball underhand and then push the right arm through the ball. I found for me the best position of the right arm is with the right elbow out rather than having it in and pointing at the ground. Might be different for you. Sometimes on putts of 3 feet or less I will take a square stance and use a normal unified grip to stroke the putt. Depends on how I feel on any given day on the practice green. If you find you are pulling putts a little left, lighten the right hand grip pressure, OR, don't hook the right index finger under the grip, just place the right index finger on the side of the grip, pointed down, and stroke it that way. Hope this helps.

September 26th, 2009, 3:03 pm #6

I have sometimes putted standing 45* open, using the right arm piston motion. I can see the line very well. The putter head travels in a virtually straight line with a square face. I just use a regular putter, an inch or two longer than a conventional fit, and slightly on the upright side. For example, my regular putting is best fit at 34" and 70* lie, and my 45* open putting is best fit at 35-36" and 72* lie.

There is supposed to be a semi-instructional video posted somewhere by the Aussie guy who sells the Boomerang putting aid, and he putts 45* open. I'll look for it.

However I actually think there are directional issues. Setting up like that is much more variable than setting up with everything square, and I think that accounts for my issue. When I putt square/conventional though, I have an outside-in stroke. Otherwise I'd be putting conventionally.

I also have messed with a hammy style hand arrangement, and never saw where it does anything good. What does the hammy hand positioning do for the stroke?

BTW I've just starting using a belly putter. So far, it's excellent directionally. It's too soon to tell on distance control, I need more experience.

gsw

September 27th, 2009, 4:05 pm #7

Using the Hammy putter is simply going halfway to putting side saddle. When a golfer putts side saddle he places the lower right hand on the lower grip and the upper hand at the top of the grip. Putting side saddle allows the golfer to see the line of the putt with both eyes. I have putted side saddle for more than 20 years with good success, however I am always looking for a more traditional way to putt that will not raise so many eyebrows. If the Hammy putter works as well or even better than my Ping B90 that I use side saddle then I will use it, but if it does not then I will go back to the Ping and the side saddle method. It rained all day here again so I did not get out to the golf course so I don't have any updates on the Hammy today,

Stan

October 9th, 2009, 5:32 pm #8

Stan
specially well on short putts. I used to be a really bad putter, but after using the Hammy for about a year I now step up to anything under about 10 feet full of confidence. My regular foursome used to make me putt out everything because I missed so many short ones, but now regularly give me 2 and 3 footers. On long putts it is no better than my old conventional style - but no worse either. I credit much of the improvement to being better able to see the putter moving straight back along the line of the putt then bringing it back along the same line.

Don