Grip cause & effect

Grip cause & effect

July 21st, 2012, 12:16 am #1

I have come to realize that I never gave enough respect to why a certain grip (hands, not the club handle) is a match, or not, for a certain swing.

Last year and this year I took lessons from an NGCI, and each time he had me put the trail hand in the fingers. Weeks later I would be hitting pulls and hooks. Of course by the time the hooks developed, I wasn't able to see the connection. I'm always wondering if I've changed my stance, am using different irons, my back is acting up, you know the merry-go-round.

Midsummer last year I figured out it was the finger grip. I went to the previous NG grip, which is essentially the same as the IMA grip. The hooks went away.

When a new season starts, I am always lost and have to learn it all again. I went through the same thing this year. I looked at my notes and read what I wrote last year about the grip and the hooks. I switched back to the IMA grip and what a difference. Just night and day. The first round with the IMA grip I actually had to play a fade, because that is what was happening. But what a relief! I only missed 3 fairways, and those just barely missed. I hit 11 greens instead of my lately usual 5 or 6. I hope I can get rid of the fade, but it wouldn't be that hard to live with.

July 21st, 2012, 3:34 am #2

and I haven't changed from an IMA grip in years. I find it FAR more consistent than the 'Hogan' grip I used before.

Peter

gsw

July 21st, 2012, 4:02 am #3

I have come to realize that I never gave enough respect to why a certain grip (hands, not the club handle) is a match, or not, for a certain swing.

Last year and this year I took lessons from an NGCI, and each time he had me put the trail hand in the fingers. Weeks later I would be hitting pulls and hooks. Of course by the time the hooks developed, I wasn't able to see the connection. I'm always wondering if I've changed my stance, am using different irons, my back is acting up, you know the merry-go-round.

Midsummer last year I figured out it was the finger grip. I went to the previous NG grip, which is essentially the same as the IMA grip. The hooks went away.

When a new season starts, I am always lost and have to learn it all again. I went through the same thing this year. I looked at my notes and read what I wrote last year about the grip and the hooks. I switched back to the IMA grip and what a difference. Just night and day. The first round with the IMA grip I actually had to play a fade, because that is what was happening. But what a relief! I only missed 3 fairways, and those just barely missed. I hit 11 greens instead of my lately usual 5 or 6. I hope I can get rid of the fade, but it wouldn't be that hard to live with.
For me the IMA right hand grip is the only grip that has ever worked. My left hand grip position is not nearly as important as the right hand but I am one of those golfers that feels as if I swing the club with the right hand and the function of the left hand is simply to hold on to the club. I have at times let my right hand grip get a bit too strong but when my ball striking goes wrong I always go back to my IMA video and do the IMA drills and like magic the ball starts going where I want it to go again.

Stan

July 21st, 2012, 3:58 pm #4

and I haven't changed from an IMA grip in years. I find it FAR more consistent than the 'Hogan' grip I used before.

Peter
I can see that. I think there are some positives to the finger grip. For instance I am pretty sure my driver was longer with it, although not by that much. But it is certainly higher-risk and -maintenance. I do not understand why Graves has gone that way. SA golfers are looking for straighter more than longer. Then again even NG in the past few years had included the finger grip as one of their options.

July 21st, 2012, 7:45 pm #5

the extent to which Graves has gone that way. He now describes the grip as being 'in the fingers' but the alignment of the trail forearm with the club is the same as when the description was that the club was in the palm. The difference seems to be that the fingers of the lead hand prevent the palm from touching the club and so he says 'in the fingers'.

Peter