Got my hands on a set of Hogan Irons Edge Forged 3i thru E

Got my hands on a set of Hogan Irons Edge Forged 3i thru E

February 3rd, 2012, 2:44 pm #1

Yesterday, I was sitting back relaxing on the phone talking with my Dad about our upcoming golfing season.We plan to crank up the tournaments on March 3, 2012. He is in his late 60's and retired. He's going on and on about how we have no chance against him this year because he now has the time to focus on his complete game. Says he will be counting the number of days per month that he DOES NOT practice. He says this number will be counted on one hand. He knows what I've been doing since last summer and says I will not improve my game at all hanging out in my basement. So he rambles some more about his advantage over us and that he will be offering us strokes so we don't get depressed and quit the game. (trash talking is the fun part; helps build the hype up until game time!) He mentions that he is on ebay trying to buy some irons, but can't get past the credit card section. I tell him to add his bank account as a backup funding source and everything goes smoothly. I ask what he's getting. He says "a couple of Cleveland wedges and a Hogan hybrid." I kind of joked that there is no such thing as a Hogan hybrid, cause Hogan wouldn't be caught using one. It would make the game too easy lol...he liked tough things!! I tell him that he just needs to get a complete set of irons instead of buying one here-n-there and having a mismatched set. He says that he will eventually. Then he said "yahhhh, I had a set of Hogan irons a couple of years ago....I gave them to OP (his brother). WHAT!!!! I NEVER KNEW HE HAD A SET OF HOGAN CLUBS!!!! Dad had been playing with them since we got into the game in 2007 and I had no idea. I didn't know who Hogan was until last summer. And in those days, my Dads clubs didn't spark any of my interest because they didn't have a name like TaylorMade or Ping or Nike. When I watched PGA golf on weekends I never saw any Hogan commercials. So my next question was "SO DOES OP STILL HAVE THEM???????" Dad said, "yep..I think so." Lol....all this time he knew what my project was all about and he didn't realize that maybe I would want a set of clubs made by the guy I'm studying????

Now I'm standing up pacing in the living room lol.

OP plays once a year. So I ask if I can possibly get his bag and conviently swap all the Hogan irons. I would put my set of Sports Authority specials in his. Dad went to OP's house and got the bag. I went by Dads house and picked them up. Grips are kind of ugly (some type of Lamkin royal blue with white barbells all over it. I like old-style leather wrap grips. Clubs are 3i thru E. What the heck is an E club??????? Extra????? or Evil??? or Equalizer?? or Elevator??? or Easy????

The faces are a bit worn in a spot. Looks like someone was hitting it in the same place every stinkin time! When I picked one of them up and did a practice swing, my stinkin wrist almost snapped. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS CLUB MADE OF???????? FEELS LIKE I'M SWINGING AN IRON PIPE!!! Or maybe the clubs I've always used are just extra lite or something. Whew...gonna take some time to get used to.

Club description:
Shaft label is red with Hogan Apex and a #3.
Clubhead : Hogan with red underline. Forged. Edge. Club number.

Anybody got weight specs on these? Anybody use them now?

gsw

February 3rd, 2012, 3:58 pm #2

Now you really have gone and jumped into the Ben Hogan world of golf. Those Hogan Edge irons are very good forged top of the line irons. Forged irons are harder to hit but they are easier to work the ball with so most pro players prefer the forged irons. The E club is just the designation the Hogan company uses for the pitching wedge. I have two sets of forged Hogan Radial irons but they are not currently in my bag because I can hit hybrids better. Get yourself a Hogan Edge 1, 2, Sand wedge and driver off ebay to fill out the set and you will be an all Hogan golfer.

Stan

February 3rd, 2012, 7:47 pm #3

Forged or cast, soft or hard steel makes no difference based on an experiment done by Ralph Maltby many years ago. The big difference is in clubhead design. Muscle back vs. cavity back.

Regards, Herbert

February 3rd, 2012, 8:04 pm #4

Yesterday, I was sitting back relaxing on the phone talking with my Dad about our upcoming golfing season.We plan to crank up the tournaments on March 3, 2012. He is in his late 60's and retired. He's going on and on about how we have no chance against him this year because he now has the time to focus on his complete game. Says he will be counting the number of days per month that he DOES NOT practice. He says this number will be counted on one hand. He knows what I've been doing since last summer and says I will not improve my game at all hanging out in my basement. So he rambles some more about his advantage over us and that he will be offering us strokes so we don't get depressed and quit the game. (trash talking is the fun part; helps build the hype up until game time!) He mentions that he is on ebay trying to buy some irons, but can't get past the credit card section. I tell him to add his bank account as a backup funding source and everything goes smoothly. I ask what he's getting. He says "a couple of Cleveland wedges and a Hogan hybrid." I kind of joked that there is no such thing as a Hogan hybrid, cause Hogan wouldn't be caught using one. It would make the game too easy lol...he liked tough things!! I tell him that he just needs to get a complete set of irons instead of buying one here-n-there and having a mismatched set. He says that he will eventually. Then he said "yahhhh, I had a set of Hogan irons a couple of years ago....I gave them to OP (his brother). WHAT!!!! I NEVER KNEW HE HAD A SET OF HOGAN CLUBS!!!! Dad had been playing with them since we got into the game in 2007 and I had no idea. I didn't know who Hogan was until last summer. And in those days, my Dads clubs didn't spark any of my interest because they didn't have a name like TaylorMade or Ping or Nike. When I watched PGA golf on weekends I never saw any Hogan commercials. So my next question was "SO DOES OP STILL HAVE THEM???????" Dad said, "yep..I think so." Lol....all this time he knew what my project was all about and he didn't realize that maybe I would want a set of clubs made by the guy I'm studying????

OP plays once a year. So I ask if I can possibly get his bag and conviently swap all the Hogan irons. I would put my set of Sports Authority specials in his. Dad went to OP's house and got the bag. I went by Dads house and picked them up. Grips are kind of ugly (some type of Lamkin royal blue with white barbells all over it. I like old-style leather wrap grips. Clubs are 3i thru E. What the heck is an E club??????? Extra????? or Evil??? or Equalizer?? or Elevator??? or Easy????

The faces are a bit worn in a spot. Looks like someone was hitting it in the same place every stinkin time! When I picked one of them up and did a practice swing, my stinkin wrist almost snapped. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS CLUB MADE OF???????? FEELS LIKE I'M SWINGING AN IRON PIPE!!! Or maybe the clubs I've always used are just extra lite or something. Whew...gonna take some time to get used to.

Club description:

Hogan played extremely heavy and stiff over length irons with very flat lie angles that the average person could not hit. His company would get requests from folks from time to time for clubs built to Hogan's person specs. Hogan would just laugh and say go ahead and build them knowing that it was extremely unlikely that the hack asking for them could hit them at all. And certainly the person asking would not be a good golfer as good players would want clubs fit to their own specs. LOL reality vs. fantasy.

Regards, Herbert

February 3rd, 2012, 9:47 pm #5

Club description:

is a regular flex shaft.

Important that the lie angle of the clubs fit your impact position.

February 3rd, 2012, 9:50 pm #6

Now you really have gone and jumped into the Ben Hogan world of golf. Those Hogan Edge irons are very good forged top of the line irons. Forged irons are harder to hit but they are easier to work the ball with so most pro players prefer the forged irons. The E club is just the designation the Hogan company uses for the pitching wedge. I have two sets of forged Hogan Radial irons but they are not currently in my bag because I can hit hybrids better. Get yourself a Hogan Edge 1, 2, Sand wedge and driver off ebay to fill out the set and you will be an all Hogan golfer.

Stan
are not harder to hit. I have never seen a study that shows this.

It feels better when you hit the middle of the face with a forged club. Which may help you to hit the middle of the face more often. Getting rewarded for good shots helps.

Ham

February 3rd, 2012, 11:18 pm #7

is a regular flex shaft.

Important that the lie angle of the clubs fit your impact position.
Whenever I get to the phase of the project involving impact position, I'm gonna use plotting, graphing, and percentages.

Once I have a repeatable swing (as repeatable as I can get it), I'm gonna set up a high speed camera focused on the ball area. Camera will be approx 12 inches or so on the ball. I will mark a ball with some type of simple grid pattern. I'll mark my foot position so I'm as consistent as possible. I'll take 100 swings and put together a plotting of where I made contact. Right now, I have no idea where to place the ball in my stance; I have a general idea based on my old swing, but I want to get a semi-scientific idea of where my most efficient impact area is. I know the PGA level instructors use this technology; they even have a 3d version. Mine will be kind of an ordinary-guy-on-a-low-budget version.

It would be fun to play around with my plotting to see if I could translate a certain impact angle from the camera into a shot shape on the course. So if I'm plotting the camera impact as "club hitting the lower left portion of the ball with a face that is moving from open to closed, then that should be a draw on the course.

That's gonna be fun to analyze.

February 4th, 2012, 2:02 am #8

are not harder to hit. I have never seen a study that shows this.

It feels better when you hit the middle of the face with a forged club. Which may help you to hit the middle of the face more often. Getting rewarded for good shots helps.

Ham
I have seen a lot of data showing that off center hits go farther and straighter on game improvement clubs.

Regards, Herbert

February 4th, 2012, 10:05 am #9

Whenever I get to the phase of the project involving impact position, I'm gonna use plotting, graphing, and percentages.

Once I have a repeatable swing (as repeatable as I can get it), I'm gonna set up a high speed camera focused on the ball area. Camera will be approx 12 inches or so on the ball. I will mark a ball with some type of simple grid pattern. I'll mark my foot position so I'm as consistent as possible. I'll take 100 swings and put together a plotting of where I made contact. Right now, I have no idea where to place the ball in my stance; I have a general idea based on my old swing, but I want to get a semi-scientific idea of where my most efficient impact area is. I know the PGA level instructors use this technology; they even have a 3d version. Mine will be kind of an ordinary-guy-on-a-low-budget version.

It would be fun to play around with my plotting to see if I could translate a certain impact angle from the camera into a shot shape on the course. So if I'm plotting the camera impact as "club hitting the lower left portion of the ball with a face that is moving from open to closed, then that should be a draw on the course.

That's gonna be fun to analyze.
getting some impact labels from longshotgolf.com

The impact labels give you instant feedback as to exactly where you made contact on the clubface. With a highspeed camera you will have difficulty in determining the exact impact.

You can measure launch angle with a camera, and ball speed as well, but it is not easy. There are some swing analysis programs that help with this.

Ham

February 4th, 2012, 7:32 pm #10

I have seen a lot of data showing that off center hits go farther and straighter on game improvement clubs.

Regards, Herbert
The fact that the ball goes farther and straighter on an off center hit does not mean that they are easier to hit but rather that a bad hit has less severe consequences. 'Easier to hit' would mean contact in the correct place on the club face more often.

Peter