January 23rd, 2009, 11:10 pm #61

First that one on the boxer "throwing" a right hook....I was cracking up listening to all the verbiage about how to use his body to hit that hook..

Then I scroll down and see this stone skipping....just sat there laughing...at the silliness of it all....what is there not to get?

I feel like Napoleon Dynamite....

"!!! GOSH !!!! Quit being an idiot!!!!"

Even watching baseball you hear it about pitcher's - "He's lost some power lately, he's not driving with his legs as much....I knew I was in trouble when I lost my legs...he's not pushing off like he used to..." How hard could Clemens throw just powering his pitches with his arm...indeed how long do you think his arm would last?

Really now, what is there to not get? C'mon people! GOSH!

on the Hogan vein--- why has no one ---or better yet hundreds of people replicated his ballstriking ---all the elements are on video, science in place to explain it --
books --- what part are the folks out there leaving out. There are millions of golfers that are educated in the science--- yet even tiger wishes he could own his swing like hogan. Strange thing this golf. We all know what strong legs Hogan had !! I ask with all respect --what are people leaving out (or adding to)

January 24th, 2009, 2:44 am #62

no muscles in the fingers.
with the power provided by a trail arm, we not lose sight of the power that is supplie by the left testicle.

January 24th, 2009, 2:48 am #63

power

January 27th, 2009, 2:59 pm #64

I'm totally unqualified to comment on the golf swing, but the following passage contains a mistake in logic:

Sit on a stool with no lower body action and I bet with your swing action, you can produce 90 to 100 mph. When you stand up, you swing it 110. Even if you swing it 120 standing up, it is only 20 percent more. So you tell me, where is the majority of the speed coming from? I would say the torso and upper body.. Even Einstein would agree that everything from the torso down (in the chair) is stabilizing and the upper body contributes only minimally to the majority of total speed.

The argument here is that since leg action is not involved when someone swings sitting down, the contribution of leg action when the person stands can be no more than the increase in speed over his speed when sitting down. This does not follow. Maybe when the person stands, changes take place also in the way the upper torso is used from when the person was seated. Unless this possibility is ruled out, Mr.Graves' reasoning doesn't establish his conclusion.
You are correct, that the upper body allows for the torso to move more. No doubt about it. None of my reasoning establishes any conclusions however, my instruction and experience does result in these conclusions.

Todd

January 27th, 2009, 3:50 pm #65

I'm totally unqualified to comment on the golf swing, but the following passage contains a mistake in logic:

Sit on a stool with no lower body action and I bet with your swing action, you can produce 90 to 100 mph. When you stand up, you swing it 110. Even if you swing it 120 standing up, it is only 20 percent more. So you tell me, where is the majority of the speed coming from? I would say the torso and upper body.. Even Einstein would agree that everything from the torso down (in the chair) is stabilizing and the upper body contributes only minimally to the majority of total speed.

The argument here is that since leg action is not involved when someone swings sitting down, the contribution of leg action when the person stands can be no more than the increase in speed over his speed when sitting down. This does not follow. Maybe when the person stands, changes take place also in the way the upper torso is used from when the person was seated. Unless this possibility is ruled out, Mr.Graves' reasoning doesn't establish his conclusion.
Sitting on a stool and swing "arms only" still brings the legs into play
whether the feet are on the ground or in the air. Just a guess but I would wager
that if you hit 500 balls sitting on a stool your inner thigh muscles
would be quite sore the next day. You simply can't rule out parts of the body
bu sitting, hanging or reclining. You just change some parameters for
them to function in.

January 27th, 2009, 5:09 pm #66

with the power provided by a trail arm, we not lose sight of the power that is supplie by the left testicle.
In polite company we refer to the phenomenon you mention as "ballast".

Tom

January 28th, 2009, 4:41 am #67

All of the studies that I have seen would indicate something different.

Herbert