Golfsmith Launch Monitor

Golfsmith Launch Monitor

January 15th, 2015, 7:17 am #1

I have hit quite a few balls recently on a trackman system with different drivers and the longest carry I had was 250 yards or so with most 220 to 230. I hit on a Golfsmith launch monitor tonight and it overestimated distance rather severely. LOL my last shot with a Taylormade SLDR was a 280 yard carry on 105mph clubhead speed that rolled to 318! Many drives were supposedly carrying 260 or 270 which is complete nonsense. I guess that it sells clubs though... Especially considering the fact that I bought the SLDR driver!

Herbert

January 15th, 2015, 10:21 pm #2

Herbert,

It sounds as if you should buy that Taylormade SLDR driver from Golfsmith...

On a related note, I've been to Edwin Watts and Golf Exchange and both agree the longest driver on the market right now is the Ping G30. What I need is an illegal 650cc driver with a COR of 0.95
Regards,
Bob

January 16th, 2015, 1:12 pm #3

I took the SLDR to the range last night and... all I can say is the launch monitor at the golfsmith store that I went to is total B.S. The launch monitor said that I was hooking everything and the sales guy adjusted the weight on the driver out to the toe to try to mitigate the hook. LOL I could not even draw the damn thing on the range my best was a straight ball and most shots were fading with an occasional huge miss right mixed in. I adjusted the weight to the heel which seemed to help a little bit. Also I found that the sound of it was hurting my ears... Not very encouraging, I plan to play a couple of rounds with it this weekend and see how it performs on the course.

Herbert

January 19th, 2015, 1:13 am #4

Herbert!

Been with GS since late 2000...we use the Foresight monitor and When set neutral I've found the numbers translate pretty close as far as carry distance...Not total w/roll out....And, as long as I realize the LM is not real life There IS a boost setting, this morning I noticed someone had adjusted one when I hit a 7 iron 284yds LOL....sorry for your not so great LM 'fitting'.

I used a SLDR 460 for a year, still have 9 shafts with tips which fit my Adams xtd...tried the 9.5*, ended up with 10.5* but that sldr was kind of fickle no matter how the weight was...the loft adjustment also changes the face angle slightly...lower loft= a little open...higher loft= closing a little...when 'things' were right, it's a great long driver...Decided on the Adams for tad more forgiveness (I hope) but still low spin, went with 9*

take care, hp

January 19th, 2015, 7:39 am #5

Hi HP,

How have you been? It is good to hear from you and thanks for your insight!

I have mixed feelings about the SLDR, I played a couple of rounds with it and I hit it pretty low but farther then I might expect. It is a 9.5 and I would probably be better off with more loft. I have not tried adjusting the loft yet. I do suspect that I probably would not like the closed face look if I loft it up by adjusting it though. One thing that helped me hit it better for sure was to tee it really low. It likes to be hit low on the face. I have 90 days to trade it in and I just might do that!

Herbert

January 19th, 2015, 2:13 pm #6

Herbert!

Been with GS since late 2000...we use the Foresight monitor and When set neutral I've found the numbers translate pretty close as far as carry distance...Not total w/roll out....And, as long as I realize the LM is not real life There IS a boost setting, this morning I noticed someone had adjusted one when I hit a 7 iron 284yds LOL....sorry for your not so great LM 'fitting'.

I used a SLDR 460 for a year, still have 9 shafts with tips which fit my Adams xtd...tried the 9.5*, ended up with 10.5* but that sldr was kind of fickle no matter how the weight was...the loft adjustment also changes the face angle slightly...lower loft= a little open...higher loft= closing a little...when 'things' were right, it's a great long driver...Decided on the Adams for tad more forgiveness (I hope) but still low spin, went with 9*

take care, hp
Just wanted to throw my two cents in there concerning the Golfsmith launch monitor. The GC2 is as accurate of a device as you'll find on the market. All the major companies (TaylorMade, Titleist, Adams, etc) use them on the range when fitting the pros. The problem is Golfsmith jacks up the "boost" on the driving range software to sell clubs. Usually about 10%. So a 7 iron you may normally hit 150 yards...voila 165. A driver you normally hit 240...magically goes 264.

The Foresight GC2 is accurate +/- within one yard. Super accurate on draws/fades as well. Great device.

January 19th, 2015, 6:38 pm #7

Thanks for the info!

From my point of view I would much rather hit on a Flightscope or Trackman system as I know I can trust the numbers and there is a lot more information provided.

Why does the GC2 have a 'boost' on the 'driving range software'? Seems like it would be a lot better if there was a standard calibration done once a year by an outside agency or something like that. Also, Golfsmith are not the only ones who jack up the numbers, I went to a demo day at a driving range years ago and the OEM guys were doing the same thing. Unfortunate...

Regards, Herbert

January 19th, 2015, 6:55 pm #8

You asked why does the GC3 have a boost? I think we know the answer to that already - it makes the club your hitting go further. It doesn't have to have the boost "on" but of course GS has it jacked up. Sure it would be a lot better if someone made sure it wasn't on.... but who is really going to check hundreds if not thousands of these nation wide to make sure.

If John Doe goes in to GS and is looking for a new set or irons.... is it not beneficial to the store for John to crush the irons he is testing? If John notices an increase (and a noticeable one), doesn't that make the product more desirable?

I do not use a boost on my GC2 and it is super accurate. If I go to my local GS, I notice a pretty big difference in the numbers.

Slimy way to do business for sure.

January 19th, 2015, 8:56 pm #9

Yeah, same reason that the manufacturers jacked up loft and length to the point where today's pitching wedge is yesterday's 8 iron...

You are in the club fitting business?

Herbert

January 19th, 2015, 10:45 pm #10

No. Just a golf lover who has experienced first hand the GC2 differences.