Golf shoes, a necissity?

Golf shoes, a necissity?

June 12th, 2009, 2:58 pm #1

The past two years, I have been having the hardest time finding golf shoes that fit and are comfortable enough to walk 18 without causing blisters or aching soles. I have been bought three different pairs and been disappointed in terms of comfort. Thankfully, Golf Galaxy has taken back 2 of the pair for a refund.

9 years ago, I bought a pair of NIKE golf shoes that were basically tennis shoes with soft spikes. I wore them for 7 years without any issues on comfort. Well, when it was time to finally buy a replacement pair of shoes, I found out that the designers have gone away from the tennis golf shoe completely. Rather, the latest styles seem to be more of a "classic" design. Also, they have made the sole much stiffer for more stability. Unfortunately, this made the latest shoes less comfortable. I have literally tried on dozens of different types of golf shoes and they all have the same thing in common; they are all stiff and uncomfortable. I am sure they are fine if you ride in a cart. However, if you always walk like me, comfort is paramount.

Now, I am looking for a comfortable trail shoe or tennis shoe with a good tread to be used strictly for the course. Has anyone else come to the same conclusion? What is your thought on this?

Thanks

June 12th, 2009, 9:23 pm #2

If you aren't sure have your foot checked for size (vs trying shoes in the store until you get one that feels OK). I'd been buying size 11 for years but found when checked that I was actually 10EEE. Most shoes in stores are M widht and I needed an 11 given my wide foot. I found all shoes (not just golf shoes) MUCH more comfortable when I began buying the correct size (10EEE or 10XW).

I use Etonic G-Sok spikeless and find them excellent and I always walk if allowed.

Peter

June 13th, 2009, 3:53 am #3

The past two years, I have been having the hardest time finding golf shoes that fit and are comfortable enough to walk 18 without causing blisters or aching soles. I have been bought three different pairs and been disappointed in terms of comfort. Thankfully, Golf Galaxy has taken back 2 of the pair for a refund.

9 years ago, I bought a pair of NIKE golf shoes that were basically tennis shoes with soft spikes. I wore them for 7 years without any issues on comfort. Well, when it was time to finally buy a replacement pair of shoes, I found out that the designers have gone away from the tennis golf shoe completely. Rather, the latest styles seem to be more of a "classic" design. Also, they have made the sole much stiffer for more stability. Unfortunately, this made the latest shoes less comfortable. I have literally tried on dozens of different types of golf shoes and they all have the same thing in common; they are all stiff and uncomfortable. I am sure they are fine if you ride in a cart. However, if you always walk like me, comfort is paramount.

Now, I am looking for a comfortable trail shoe or tennis shoe with a good tread to be used strictly for the course. Has anyone else come to the same conclusion? What is your thought on this?

Thanks

Well, I could not function without my orthotics... You might want to consider seeing a podiatrist as maybe an insert would make any golf shoe work.

Regards, Herbert

June 13th, 2009, 11:50 am #4

Thanks

Bite Golf used to market some shoes that had wide toes, which I like. I owned a pair that lasted two years, I loved em, but even they hurt my feet after walking 18. So Last year I just wore my tennis shoes....voila! No more sore feet and back. Problem with some slipping in the early morning but other than that GTG. ECCO also makes some shoes with more of a square-ish toe but man ae those bad boys expensive.

This year bought a pair of light weight Khombu trail shoes with molded rubber stud bottom and they are great. With regular golf shoes my feet always feet cramped and such and I do think you need tom make sure you get fitted for the right size width like Peter mentioned.

I don't think golf shoes are a necessity...at least not for me.

June 13th, 2009, 12:04 pm #5

Thanks

Bite shoes are great, but the company has been bought by Crocs. I think they are going to disappear. If you can find a pair, try the Bite Vibe AC. There are usually some sellers on eBay. The Vibe AC is a lightweight sneaker with spikes. It is ventilated, hence the name AC. It is NOT waterproof, though. Far from it. If you try a pair and like them, stock up now!

gsw

June 14th, 2009, 4:32 am #6

As everyone on this forum knows I always walk when I play golf. I have the same problem with walking the course and wearing golf shoes as you do. I gave up on wearing golf shoes some 30 years ago and I have no plans of going back to golf shoes in the future. I buy myself a good pair of walking athletic type shoes and go on out and play. I do feel my feet slip every now and then but I play to about a six handicap so not wearing golf shoes has not hurt my game too much. As far as I am concerned, golf shoes are not necessary.

Stan

June 14th, 2009, 1:44 pm #7

Thanks

is the main function I need from a golf shoe. I tend to play most of my rounds at the crack of dawn and even in bone dry August, there's still plenty of dew on the ground at 6AM (not to mention water from recent sprinkling.) ECCO is the only shoe that will remain dry inside no mater what the water conditions are like ... and to me (size 10.5 E) they are as comfortable as bedroom slippers. I always walk. While they are expensive, they will remain waterproof for about 3 years. Every other shoe I've tried will lose its waterproofing abilities after about a year. So I can buy a pair of $70 Dryjoys every year, or one pair of $150 ECCO Gortex every 3 years. They end up being cheaper in the long run ... and no more wet, moldy socks.

June 16th, 2009, 1:54 pm #8

Thanks

I am hoping that the shoe companies see a glaring hole in the market place for comfortable shoes. It seems they were all focused on making them more stable and forgot about comfort which may be more important point to the buyer. Right now, Addidas and FootJoy has come out with a style they deemed as "light" shoes. I tried these from Footjoy and they felt cheap. The shoe squeeked because of the crappy, thin leather. Famous Footwear cancreate a comfortable leather gym shoe for 20 bucks. Why can't some golf company do the same and throw some soft spikes on the bottom and charge $40 dollars (like they used to)?

They just don't get it.

Sincerely,

Cinderella

gsw

June 18th, 2009, 4:02 am #9

So I wear a good pair of walking shoes and play golf in them.

Stan

June 18th, 2009, 12:46 pm #10

Thanks

I have three pairs gathering dust in my garage.

I always walk and a good pair of cross trainers or
even Dr. Scholls are the ticket for me. Golf shoes
are extremely uncomfortable for me. There used to
be a California company that made a golf shoe with
permanent rubber cleats but they went out of business
before I could buy a pair. I would love to find a
shoe that had a sole with rubber nubs far enough apart
to not bring half the fairway off the course with me
and close enough together for comfort and stability.

I would love to find cross-trainers that didn't bring
half my yard inside with me every time I go outside.