Golf Resolutions 2012

Golf Resolutions 2012

January 2nd, 2012, 7:16 pm #1

I took a look at my stats for the last year and made some resolutions to improve my golf game:

1) I played 84 rounds and spent way to much on range balls so I am going to cut back on hitting balls.

2) I averaged 31.35 putts per round which is not very good considering that I only hit 25% of the greens so I need to improve my putting.

3) I got up and down only 27% of the time but the one that really jumped out at me is 1.3 short game shots per chance to get up and down. Now I sometimes put myself in spots where even Phil or Tiger could not get the ball on the green but that is ridiculous as it means that I am simply mishitting a large number of relatively easy shots. I will spend my time this year practicing short game.

4) I changed my swing a large number of times including a lot of grip changes. I am going to keep the same swing all year this year. LOL anybody believe that one?

5) I averaged 3.75 penalty shots per round. Some of those are the result of trying shots that are not very likely to come off but most are a result of mental problems and not executing the shot I am easily capable of. Keeping the same grip and swing should go a long way to improving this one.

6) Who cares? I had a great time golfing this last year with scores ranging from 76 to 113 and if I can get in another 84 rounds this year I will be quite happy even if I don't improve any!

How about you? Any resolutions?

Regards, Herbert

gsw

January 2nd, 2012, 7:39 pm #2

Hi Herbert

I think that I have finally stumbled unto the real SA Moe type swing so my New Years resolution is to keep working on my swing using the same fundamentals that Moe and Scott Hazledine use. I have always been a good ball striker although not a very long hitter with my homemade swing but when I emulate Moe's swing and practice the IMA drills I strike the ball even better without placing much if any stress on my spine. I hope that I am not so darn hardheaded that I try something else this year or any year for that matter.

Happy New Year

Stan

January 4th, 2012, 8:30 pm #3

Stan,

I wonder if you will go back to your shut clubface blocking swing at some point? It sounds like probably not given the success that you have had so far but that is my initial reaction.

Are you using more rotation of the shoulders or body with this swing?

Regards, Herbert

January 4th, 2012, 8:49 pm #4

I took a look at my stats for the last year and made some resolutions to improve my golf game:

1) I played 84 rounds and spent way to much on range balls so I am going to cut back on hitting balls.

2) I averaged 31.35 putts per round which is not very good considering that I only hit 25% of the greens so I need to improve my putting.

3) I got up and down only 27% of the time but the one that really jumped out at me is 1.3 short game shots per chance to get up and down. Now I sometimes put myself in spots where even Phil or Tiger could not get the ball on the green but that is ridiculous as it means that I am simply mishitting a large number of relatively easy shots. I will spend my time this year practicing short game.

4) I changed my swing a large number of times including a lot of grip changes. I am going to keep the same swing all year this year. LOL anybody believe that one?

5) I averaged 3.75 penalty shots per round. Some of those are the result of trying shots that are not very likely to come off but most are a result of mental problems and not executing the shot I am easily capable of. Keeping the same grip and swing should go a long way to improving this one.

6) Who cares? I had a great time golfing this last year with scores ranging from 76 to 113 and if I can get in another 84 rounds this year I will be quite happy even if I don't improve any!

Regards, Herbert

to give every chip and putt a chance to go into the hole i.e. never to be short. After a lifetime of trying to die it into the hole and never seeming to hole anything outside 6 feet (and quite often missing them from inside that distance as well of course) it's time for a bit more aggression. I was actually experimenting with this in December and my long putting and chipping was certainly finishing closer to the hole - even though it's hard to persuade yourself with a slippery 10 footer downhill ! What this thought does prevent is the unconscious deceleration at the last second, which is always fatal....

gsw

January 5th, 2012, 12:02 am #5

Stan,

I wonder if you will go back to your shut clubface blocking swing at some point? It sounds like probably not given the success that you have had so far but that is my initial reaction.

Are you using more rotation of the shoulders or body with this swing?

Regards, Herbert
Hi Herbert

Basically I am working on using the very short NG swing that Moe used when he was older. I use the IMA drills when I practice up to position four which is the position before the left shoulder is activated. With my homemade swing I always used the same right hand motion that IMA and Natural Golf teaches I just tried to use less of a release and more of a blocking action through the ball. As I have gotten older it is getting harder to hold the release through the ball so at least for now I am trying to do an IMA/NG swing motion. If this excursion into using the proper IMA/NG swing fundamentals does not hold up then I will probably revert back to my old blocking swing so far the IMA/NG motion seems to work OK with almost no stress on my spine. I guess that time will tell how it al works out. I am a lot like you in that I seem to change things around a lot but my wife tells me that my swing always looks the same to her no matter which swing I think I am using. The same thing goes for my scores, it seems that I score the same any type of swing I use.

Stan

January 5th, 2012, 7:07 am #6

Regards, Herbert

Try to stay on the grassy side of the turf, and to hell with what kind of new goofy swing comes out!

January 7th, 2012, 6:11 pm #7

to give every chip and putt a chance to go into the hole i.e. never to be short. After a lifetime of trying to die it into the hole and never seeming to hole anything outside 6 feet (and quite often missing them from inside that distance as well of course) it's time for a bit more aggression. I was actually experimenting with this in December and my long putting and chipping was certainly finishing closer to the hole - even though it's hard to persuade yourself with a slippery 10 footer downhill ! What this thought does prevent is the unconscious deceleration at the last second, which is always fatal....
I am thinking along similar lines. It is always a good idea to hit a shot with the idea of holing it. Remember to watch those slippery 10 footers after they roll by the hole in case you miss so that you can see the break coming back!

Regards, Herbert

January 7th, 2012, 6:12 pm #8

Try to stay on the grassy side of the turf, and to hell with what kind of new goofy swing comes out!
Maybe it is time that you made up your own swing just using stuff that works?

Regards, Herbert

January 8th, 2012, 12:42 pm #9

idea.

Tough to play golf in a box six feet under.

Well on second thought at least you are six under!

Ham