Golf balls

Golf balls

gsw

August 1st, 2012, 5:48 am #1

What brand and type of golf ball are you guys using? I was using a Precept Laddie off the tee and then switching to a Pro V1 aroung the greens but because I know that is illegal I am trying different balls that I can use tee to green without switching. So far the Noodle Long and Soft is working very well.

Ant thoughts as to what the best ball tee to green is for a golfer who swings at around 95 MPG with the driver?

Stan

August 1st, 2012, 12:54 pm #2

If you can afford them I would stay with the ProV1. Great around the greens but I don't find I lose much off the tee either. If you're going to play the distance balls then just adjust your game for a bump and run whenever you can. But I guess it mostly depends on the courses and the way they are set up. Any good spin ball is definitely going to give more control if your game is at that level. My own game probably isn't at that level but I still prefer them. It's the difference between a shot over a bunker or to an elevated green, etc., holding the green or not.

August 1st, 2012, 1:47 pm #3

What brand and type of golf ball are you guys using? I was using a Precept Laddie off the tee and then switching to a Pro V1 aroung the greens but because I know that is illegal I am trying different balls that I can use tee to green without switching. So far the Noodle Long and Soft is working very well.

Ant thoughts as to what the best ball tee to green is for a golfer who swings at around 95 MPG with the driver?

Stan
I've been using the NXT Tour S:

http://www.titleist.com/golf-balls/NXT-Tour-S.aspx

Longer than the Pro V1x off the tee,but soft feel around the green.

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA
USDA Zone 6b

Regards,
Bob

August 1st, 2012, 11:23 pm #4

Stan
If you are willing to step up a level in price, I think you might find the mid-tier 3 piece balls are the ticket. As long as the Laddie, and decent on the greens.

They change the mid-tier balls frequently due to the pressure of having to have a "new" flavor to get onto the magazine hot lists. This year I like the Nike Vapor Black. It is designed for 85+ s/s. Last year I liked the Nike One Vapor Speed. I also like the Srixon Trispeed Tour, which is already discontinued (but still widely available) and replaced by the Q-Star. These are balls that normally sell for around $25/dozen. This time of year the deals start. The Vapor Black is 2 doz for $40 now.

I have played the Bridgestone e6. It is lacking spin on the greens.

I seem to lose a little distance with the NXT Tour. Same with the Top-Fliter Gamer V2.

August 2nd, 2012, 6:01 pm #5

Last summer I played in an outing at a Country Club and it was 'Titliest Day'.....they had a golf ball tent display set up with an 'expert' from the company to answer questions........we were 'told' by Titiest that there was "a maximum distance difference off the driver of only 3 yards from their 'longest ball' to their 'shortest & softest' ball". According to the rep from Titliest, almost all of the differnce is spin into the greens and feel with the putter, and that performance off the driver was nearly identical throughout their product line.

I have been using the yellow Srixon Z-Star this summer and love the color and the performance.

FYI

Hawk

gsw

August 3rd, 2012, 2:36 am #6

If you are willing to step up a level in price, I think you might find the mid-tier 3 piece balls are the ticket. As long as the Laddie, and decent on the greens.

They change the mid-tier balls frequently due to the pressure of having to have a "new" flavor to get onto the magazine hot lists. This year I like the Nike Vapor Black. It is designed for 85+ s/s. Last year I liked the Nike One Vapor Speed. I also like the Srixon Trispeed Tour, which is already discontinued (but still widely available) and replaced by the Q-Star. These are balls that normally sell for around $25/dozen. This time of year the deals start. The Vapor Black is 2 doz for $40 now.

I have played the Bridgestone e6. It is lacking spin on the greens.

I seem to lose a little distance with the NXT Tour. Same with the Top-Fliter Gamer V2.
I don't know know what the difference is but I simply do not get the distance from the Pro V1 that I can get from a Noodle. I have hit many balls off the same tee and then went out and picked them up and the low compression type balls always go farther. Sometime a lot farther. I love the Pro V1 around the green but hate it off the tee.

Stan

August 3rd, 2012, 2:55 am #7

Last summer I played in an outing at a Country Club and it was 'Titliest Day'.....they had a golf ball tent display set up with an 'expert' from the company to answer questions........we were 'told' by Titiest that there was "a maximum distance difference off the driver of only 3 yards from their 'longest ball' to their 'shortest & softest' ball". According to the rep from Titliest, almost all of the differnce is spin into the greens and feel with the putter, and that performance off the driver was nearly identical throughout their product line.

I have been using the yellow Srixon Z-Star this summer and love the color and the performance.

FYI

Hawk
To read that you are playing! Back is good I take it?

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

August 3rd, 2012, 3:05 am #8

FYI

Hawk
I love the way Titleists feel off irons. But with my driver I never seem to get max distance with them.

August 3rd, 2012, 3:05 am #9

I don't know know what the difference is but I simply do not get the distance from the Pro V1 that I can get from a Noodle. I have hit many balls off the same tee and then went out and picked them up and the low compression type balls always go farther. Sometime a lot farther. I love the Pro V1 around the green but hate it off the tee.

Stan
to the prov1x for the reason you stated....greenside spin. Those babies dance on the little pitches and chips from 50 yards in.

My game is good enough now that I can go a whole season on one box,so cost isn't a factor. The only reason I change balls is when it gets to dinged up - yeah I admit to hitting trees and cart paths a few times a round!

Are you using Prov1 or 1x? (1x is for higher swing speeds).

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

August 3rd, 2012, 12:59 pm #10

A lot of that depends on the course. One year I belonged to an old country club. Very nice course, average difficulty, a little on the shorter side. A mis-hit would be find-able among the trees. There was not much water in play and no crazy vegetation. OB was pretty far off line. So even though I was not as good as I am today, I could play a long time without losing a ball.

The courses I play now are more modern. They are longer, have OB that is close, gnarly brush/woods just off fairways and greens, and more water in play. Plus there are some risk/reward situations that include risking the loss of ball. It is very rare to not lose a ball or two, even for a guy with half my handicap.

If you play that type of course and only lose a dozen balls a year, my hat is off to you! And when I make it to your neighborhood, you're giving me strokes!