Formula: Clubhead Speed x ?? = Distance

Formula: Clubhead Speed x ?? = Distance

December 18th, 2011, 8:12 pm #1

Im, working hard with a Speed Swoosh & Orange Whip Trainer to increase my sluggish SA swing speed. Months ago someone posted a Formula giving an approx. Carry Distance as a multiple of: (Club Head Speed) times (??) = Carry Distance. If you know what the ?? Multiple was, plZ share it. ThanX!

December 19th, 2011, 7:50 pm #2

PS,I don't have a clue Launch angle? Spin rate?

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA

Regards,
Bob

December 19th, 2011, 8:24 pm #3

Im, working hard with a Speed Swoosh & Orange Whip Trainer to increase my sluggish SA swing speed. Months ago someone posted a Formula giving an approx. Carry Distance as a multiple of: (Club Head Speed) times (??) = Carry Distance. If you know what the ?? Multiple was, plZ share it. ThanX!
2.0 to 2.5 yards per MPH of club head speed. That will get you in the ball park.

So for example of 120 mph club head speed, that would be a carry of between 240 to 300 yards. The factors such as launch angle and spin rate will off course affect your carry too, as does how close you hit the sweet spot for generating maximum ball speed.

In the senior LD finals the winner actually posted lower club head speed than the runner-up, but the Trackman data showed he had better launch characteristics so he out drove him.

Bill, when training for speed it isn't important that your speed is accurate. Most the swing speed meters aren't as accurate as the ones club fitters use. Just keep track of your club head speed and note the increases. If your training is correct for adding speed you will see those numbers go up, once they plateau, you can be pretty sure you have reached your genetic maximum, and then it is time to go get a fitting to optimize a driver for your swing and club head speed.

If your numbers aren't improving very much, I would look to your training routine. I know of very few amateurs who train for speed that don't add significant increases if they haven't already reached their maximum. here's a chart you will see in a lot of fitters shops:

Kevin
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!
Last edited by mcirishman57 on December 19th, 2011, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.