For Snowman: Here is all you need to fix your SA swing.

For Snowman: Here is all you need to fix your SA swing.

gsw

July 26th, 2011, 8:53 pm #1

Snowman

Here are a few lessons by Scott Hazeldine. I find Scotts teaching to be the very best SA teaching available.http://www.scigolf.com/scigolf/archives/lesson4.html

http://www.scigolf.com/scigolf/archives/lesson5.html

http://www.scigolf.com/scigolf/archives/lesson6.html

Enjoy

Stan

July 27th, 2011, 12:23 pm #2

I've tried to watch those before. We have only a medium speed internet connection (512K) and I can't get them to play without constant stopping and starting. And unlike a youtube video you can't pause and let them load either. So I gave up. I might buy his How to Master the Golf Swing DVD to see what's on there. I sold my prior DVDs to someone here.

I did find that if I use his setup I have to use his idea of keeping the left arm connected to the chest. Otherwise I pull-hook my irons. I shot 82 the other day on a somewhat tough course, and most approaches ended up on the left side of the green or missed left. My only birdie was a 40 footer. Not conducive to scoring. I should have easily been in the 70s considering how well I drove the ball.

Alternatively I can use a wider stance to stop the pull hooks but then I can't get through the ball to my satisfaction. This has been my vicious cycle over the years. But I never stuck with his idea of the arm:chest connection. So that's where I'm at now. I do like the way I'm striking the ball.

July 27th, 2011, 3:01 pm #3

Are you hooding the club on your backswing or are you rotating your lead arm and getting the club toe up half way back?
Do you have a flatish backswing that feels SA on plane?
Have you tried moving the ball position back towards your trail foot until the pulls and hooks go away?

Regards, Herbert

July 27th, 2011, 3:40 pm #4

One of the best ways to slice is to move the ball forward.
One of the best ways to hook is to move the ball back.

July 27th, 2011, 3:48 pm #5

I've tried to watch those before. We have only a medium speed internet connection (512K) and I can't get them to play without constant stopping and starting. And unlike a youtube video you can't pause and let them load either. So I gave up. I might buy his How to Master the Golf Swing DVD to see what's on there. I sold my prior DVDs to someone here.

I did find that if I use his setup I have to use his idea of keeping the left arm connected to the chest. Otherwise I pull-hook my irons. I shot 82 the other day on a somewhat tough course, and most approaches ended up on the left side of the green or missed left. My only birdie was a 40 footer. Not conducive to scoring. I should have easily been in the 70s considering how well I drove the ball.

Alternatively I can use a wider stance to stop the pull hooks but then I can't get through the ball to my satisfaction. This has been my vicious cycle over the years. But I never stuck with his idea of the arm:chest connection. So that's where I'm at now. I do like the way I'm striking the ball.
If you use the Firefox browser and add 'Download Helper' (a Firefox add on application) you can download the video and then play it on your system.

If you do as Scott says in lesson 4 (Stroke Where You Aim It) you will not pull hook. Two things that I've found stand in the way of this:

1) Swinging around your body. This is often taught in CG. As Moe said 'my hands are never out of bounds or as Bertholy said you need to go to 'Rifle Barrel' immediately after impact. Both ideas result in you 'Stroking Where You Aim It'

2) If you don't keep your lead knee 'athletically flexed' (i.e. bent but not stiff/locked and able to respond to forces in the swing) your torso will rotate on the wrong axis resulting in your hands (and the club) moving to the inside of where they should be. After the shot you will not be pointing at the target.

These are both IMA basics and if you do them, have a proper IMA grip and have the club parallel to the target line at 6/100s, it will not be possible to pull the ball.

Peter

July 27th, 2011, 5:23 pm #6

One of the best ways to slice is to move the ball forward.
One of the best ways to hook is to move the ball back.
Yes, and one of the best ways to pull hook is to move the ball forward and one of the best ways to push slice it to move the ball back.

It depends a lot on swing mechanics and what the clubhead is doing through the impact zone. Weak grip with out to in swing path and open face can do what you suggest and strong grip with in to out swing path with closed face can do what I mentioned.

Of course there are endless variations on the above all of which I am very capable of. In general if a person is playing with a strong grip and learning to swing in to out then moving the ball back will reduce the pulls and hooks. HSS and Simple Swing for instance...

Regards, Herbert

July 27th, 2011, 9:02 pm #7

Are you hooding the club on your backswing or are you rotating your lead arm and getting the club toe up half way back?
Do you have a flatish backswing that feels SA on plane?
Have you tried moving the ball position back towards your trail foot until the pulls and hooks go away?

Regards, Herbert
I don't hood the club going back. I let it rotate naturally.

I tend to have a backswing that's too upright, due to some lack of flexibility turning. If I try to move it flatter without turning better, then I really hit hooks. I've worked a lot on getting better turn going back in order to get the club on plane. It is a work in progress, at best. Moreover, the better I turn going back, the stronger I turn through, which is good and bad. It's bad when I get out of sync and the ball goes left.

I tried moving the ball position within reason. It helps but seems to introduce other errors on occasion, then I have a two-way miss going, which is worse than just hitting left. Same thing with a closed stance. I have not ruled out either one though.

If I'm hitting left on the course, I adopt the Lee Trevino block/fade you mentioned the other day. It works to stop the bleeding mid-round. The more I've learned to work the ball, the more I appreciate a block or fade when I simply have to get something into play.

Hey, it's fun to discuss basic SA swing stuff. I hope this might be helping any new-ish lurkers. Well, off to league.
Last edited by Snowman9000 on July 28th, 2011, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 27th, 2011, 9:25 pm #8

I have a similar problem I think. I can line up and make what feels like a decent swing and hit a nice draw 20 or so yards left or pull side of target all day. I have never quite figured it out. It helps to try to fade it like Trevino or to try to play the draw by aiming right. Moving the ball back helps also. I wonder if in my case it might be equipment related...

Regards, Herbert

July 28th, 2011, 12:32 am #9

I've never hit that much of a pull if my follow through was at the target. The ball is never very far from the club's follow through position with IMA.

Peter

July 28th, 2011, 3:14 am #10

I haven't had a chance to get that video lesson downloaded yet. But I think that's right.

With the SA swing, the arms are for practical purposes in sync with the body. If the body turns away from the line too much/ too soon, the arms are going left. That's what I've been getting while trying to get more turn.

It's easy to feel the contrast in my Stricker swing, where the body pulls the arms through later in the turn.