Final answer! My MGS and my Old way

Final answer! My MGS and my Old way

October 30th, 2011, 1:16 pm #1

Peter - "Is that your final answer? Are you saying you are executing the MGS as a match"

Kevin - "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid it is, it's the closest I can get to an exact match of the MGS instruction - given my feeble understanding and below average athletic ability. Final answer! (rolls eyes)"

Peter - "Well, it still isn't a match, I'm sorry. As I have said from the beginning, you are not doing MGS as it it is demonstrated. It will be interesting to see what happens if you ever do execute the MGS swing as demonstrated."

Kevin - "Okay, but could you please tell me, which swing would you recommend I use if I had to play in the biggest match of my life? My Old traditional way or my 'as close as I can get to MGS yet still not be a match to the demonstrated swing' swing? I mean which swing would you recommend I use?"

So anyways gang, here you go, after the last thread and the...ahem "facts" that show I am "still not a match", I figured this would be good Sunday reading and viewing during the football game commercial breaks!

In the video I shot four swings...one trying to match the model exactly...the second letting the wrists do what they do...the third swinging my old way..and finally an all out LD swing. I MADE ALL FOUR SWINGS FROM THE MGS SET-UP. I grabbed stills of each swing one frame before TOS, at TOS, and then after the downswing was started.

These were in HD, which had a frame rate of 30 FPS. So after that I shot some high speed video of some swings both with the over speed club and hitting a seven iron doing the same thing...as close to the demonstrated model as possible and then my old way. Haven't trimmed them yet, but when I do I will post them up.

At any rate, here is the link to the HD video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgtltP-Ky-Y

Here are the stills from the four swings. Remember, one frame before TOS, TOS, and Start of downswing. Pay close attention to the lead wrist angle in each sequence.

MGS no hinge:

MGS "natural hinge" hands a tad higher:

MGS set-up, but old swing style:

MGS set-up..all out LD swing:

Note in particular the lead wrist position, trail arm curl,and the lower body action as I move more away from the "almost pure MGS".

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

October 30th, 2011, 2:52 pm #2

Kevin,
you are more MGS in the top pics than even the inventor.

So, as someone on the posts said, go by the words and illustrations not the deeds, I had a mad all-over-the-place swing for ever, and it's not easy and MORE IMPORTANTLY, NOT essential to change fully, the smallest deviation towards MGS help, BECAUSE you're using the minimal number of joints AND putting your joints into positions from which they can work best.

If we split-screened any of the hair-splitters with Moe, would they look exactly like him?

TRY it guys, just once, in a Kevin-ish manner (he's a guy who just picked it up from youtube and a-not-sophisticated ebook, and GOT it!

Kiran

October 30th, 2011, 6:12 pm #3

Peter - "Is that your final answer? Are you saying you are executing the MGS as a match"

Kevin - "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid it is, it's the closest I can get to an exact match of the MGS instruction - given my feeble understanding and below average athletic ability. Final answer! (rolls eyes)"

Peter - "Well, it still isn't a match, I'm sorry. As I have said from the beginning, you are not doing MGS as it it is demonstrated. It will be interesting to see what happens if you ever do execute the MGS swing as demonstrated."

Kevin - "Okay, but could you please tell me, which swing would you recommend I use if I had to play in the biggest match of my life? My Old traditional way or my 'as close as I can get to MGS yet still not be a match to the demonstrated swing' swing? I mean which swing would you recommend I use?"

So anyways gang, here you go, after the last thread and the...ahem "facts" that show I am "still not a match", I figured this would be good Sunday reading and viewing during the football game commercial breaks!

In the video I shot four swings...one trying to match the model exactly...the second letting the wrists do what they do...the third swinging my old way..and finally an all out LD swing. I MADE ALL FOUR SWINGS FROM THE MGS SET-UP. I grabbed stills of each swing one frame before TOS, at TOS, and then after the downswing was started.

These were in HD, which had a frame rate of 30 FPS. So after that I shot some high speed video of some swings both with the over speed club and hitting a seven iron doing the same thing...as close to the demonstrated model as possible and then my old way. Haven't trimmed them yet, but when I do I will post them up.

Here are the stills from the four swings. Remember, one frame before TOS, TOS, and Start of downswing. Pay close attention to the lead wrist angle in each sequence.

MGS no hinge:

Note in particular the lead wrist position, trail arm curl,and the lower body action as I move more away from the "almost pure MGS".

Kevin

Very well done , pictures and video

October 31st, 2011, 2:54 am #4

MGS no hinge:

Kevin

...and I could care less what Peter says - EVER.

October 31st, 2011, 11:20 am #5

MGS no hinge:

Kevin

Here are some stills from the 7 iron swings. "My MGS attempt" and "my old way". From the discussions we have had, and from what you have read about MGS, which still is from my old way and which is from "my MGS though still (most likely) not a match" swing?

First TOS:

Next Pre-Impact:

And Impact:

Which do you like better? No right or wrong. State why? (Both of these shots were "all over it" landing just a few feet of the target flag.) If you guessed the left was the old way and the right was "my MGS" then you were correct.

Just looking to advance the discussion and help folks that are looking into this swing.

Here are the links to the videos:

Old way:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TF6qkl54-I

MGS hands shoulder high:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdpYDqVor3w

MGS hands higher:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Sx-oRoGdI

Kevin

October 31st, 2011, 1:24 pm #6

Very helpful your swing looks Great !

It is going to be in the mid to upper 60's here on Tuesday. Hopefully I will get out and hit balls or play 9. Not much time left though winter is comming fast.

November 1st, 2011, 10:07 am #7

Here are some stills from the 7 iron swings. "My MGS attempt" and "my old way". From the discussions we have had, and from what you have read about MGS, which still is from my old way and which is from "my MGS though still (most likely) not a match" swing?

First TOS:

Next Pre-Impact:

And Impact:

Which do you like better? No right or wrong. State why? (Both of these shots were "all over it" landing just a few feet of the target flag.) If you guessed the left was the old way and the right was "my MGS" then you were correct.

Just looking to advance the discussion and help folks that are looking into this swing.

Here are the links to the videos:

Old way:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TF6qkl54-I

MGS hands shoulder high:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdpYDqVor3w

MGS hands higher:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Sx-oRoGdI

Kevin

She watched the latest videos and sent along the following comments relative to "my MGS" and the high speed video of my 7 iron swings:
To be closer to MGS, the left arm must not be stiff in the elbow, and it must climb steeply up the chest wall. Feel the left arm climbs steeply up the chest until it reaches the face. That way we can have a less-restricted length-of-arms' swing, while the body still remains in MGS positions.

The best MGS length of left arm is about 10 o'clock or so, when the club has the maximum gravitational potential energy. The left arm can then more easily drop down with gravity at the start of downswing with less conscious interference from the golfer.

Also, set-up is NOT meat and potatoes, it simply facilitates the meat and potatoes which is keeping body mass in one place at all times - the place it needs to be in at impact, and keeping the left arm as the radius of the swing from address to impact.

(YOU feel it is meat and potatoes cause you've got the set-up feel so well and you never get out of it, many many, people do, tho, and descriptions should apply to a majority not minority in mass-instruction imparting as you're doing on the forum). The green line in my screen shot is a bit of a curve to imply softness!!!!

So there you go, straight form the Guru herself. She was out of time, as she is on her to Pattaya, Thailand, where she will be presenting at the PGA Conference of Asia. She will be rubbing shoulders with some well-known heavy weights and it will be interesting to see how she gets on with them.

Kevin

November 1st, 2011, 1:35 pm #8

Maybe it is just me, but i am not sure I follow her on this? Kevin can you maybe expand on this for me.

November 1st, 2011, 3:23 pm #9

She makex several points...copy paste her statement that you would like expanded....

Kevin

November 1st, 2011, 4:36 pm #10

She watched the latest videos and sent along the following comments relative to "my MGS" and the high speed video of my 7 iron swings:
To be closer to MGS, the left arm must not be stiff in the elbow, and it must climb steeply up the chest wall. Feel the left arm climbs steeply up the chest until it reaches the face. That way we can have a less-restricted length-of-arms' swing, while the body still remains in MGS positions.

The best MGS length of left arm is about 10 o'clock or so, when the club has the maximum gravitational potential energy. The left arm can then more easily drop down with gravity at the start of downswing with less conscious interference from the golfer.

Also, set-up is NOT meat and potatoes, it simply facilitates the meat and potatoes which is keeping body mass in one place at all times - the place it needs to be in at impact, and keeping the left arm as the radius of the swing from address to impact.

(YOU feel it is meat and potatoes cause you've got the set-up feel so well and you never get out of it, many many, people do, tho, and descriptions should apply to a majority not minority in mass-instruction imparting as you're doing on the forum). The green line in my screen shot is a bit of a curve to imply softness!!!!

So there you go, straight form the Guru herself. She was out of time, as she is on her to Pattaya, Thailand, where she will be presenting at the PGA Conference of Asia. She will be rubbing shoulders with some well-known heavy weights and it will be interesting to see how she gets on with them.

Kevin

"the left arm must not be stiff in the elbow, and it must climb steeply up the chest wall. Feel the left arm climbs steeply up the chest until it reaches the face. That way we can have a less-restricted length-of-arms' swing, while the body still remains in MGS "

Kevin It looks like you are climbing up the chest to me that is one thing I don't understand what she means. In other words what does she want you do differnt ?

"The best MGS length of left arm is about 10 o'clock or so, when the club has the maximum gravitational potential energy. The left arm can then more easily drop down with gravity at the start of downswing with less conscious interference from the golfer"

Kevin Is he saying you are not high enough with your back swing or what ?

"Also, set-up is NOT meat and potatoes, it simply facilitates the meat and potatoes which is keeping body mass in one place at all times - the place it needs to be in at impact, and keeping the left arm as the radius of the swing from address to impact.

(YOU feel it is meat and potatoes cause you've got the set-up feel so well and you never get out of it, many many, people do, tho, and descriptions should apply to a majority not minority in mass-instruction imparting as you're doing on the forum). The green line in my screen shot is a bit of a curve to imply softness!!!! "

Kevin as far as this last statement is she saying that you are in correct set up and stay there but many others don't? Or that the set up isn't that important ? I guess I thought the set up closed shoulders was the meat and potatoes of the swing ?