Fairway bunker help

Fairway bunker help

October 3rd, 2010, 12:26 am #1

A couple of years ago I was consistently great out of fairway bunkers. Last year and this one I have simply lost it. What I did 2 years ago was to set up in the impact position, choking down a bit on the club, and the ball slightly rearward of normal. Then try to swing without much lower body motion. These same things are not working now. I hit fat or very thin, and if I do catch one decently, it is a push-fade.

This year in my regular swing I've learned to delay my release somewhat, i.e. more lag. I used to throw away the lag very early. Perhaps that made fairway bunker shots easier. I suppose so.

What do you do in your setup, and in your swing?

October 6th, 2010, 2:52 am #2

more than anything in bunkers is to create a firm
mental image of how fast to whip the club through the sand.
Usually it's faster than appears necessary. If you're
worried about your technique you tend to be tense and
stop your hands early.

October 6th, 2010, 1:19 pm #3

A couple of years ago I was consistently great out of fairway bunkers. Last year and this one I have simply lost it. What I did 2 years ago was to set up in the impact position, choking down a bit on the club, and the ball slightly rearward of normal. Then try to swing without much lower body motion. These same things are not working now. I hit fat or very thin, and if I do catch one decently, it is a push-fade.

This year in my regular swing I've learned to delay my release somewhat, i.e. more lag. I used to throw away the lag very early. Perhaps that made fairway bunker shots easier. I suppose so.

What do you do in your setup, and in your swing?
I've posted before that sand is excellent to provide feedback on your impact position. When the club is even with or ahead of your hands at impact bunker shots tend to be either fat (ball doesn't go) or thin (ball goes like it would from the fairway). You were likely in the second category before. When your hands are ahead of the ball at impact you just need to control where your 'divot' will be: Under the ball and you have a normal, green side bunker shot, In front of the ball and you have a fairway bunker shot. If your fairway bunker shots are flubs now it's undoubtedly because you have the bottom of the club arc too far back. Your perceived bottom of arc when your impact position was poorer will be too far back now that it's better.

Peter

October 6th, 2010, 6:02 pm #4

more than anything in bunkers is to create a firm
mental image of how fast to whip the club through the sand.
Usually it's faster than appears necessary. If you're
worried about your technique you tend to be tense and
stop your hands early.
I posted about greenside and you need fairway help.
I don't know. I always hit the ball clean and I don't
want to think about it. The only thing I have in my head
is quiet lower body, relax and hit the ball first.