Face angle at address, Graves Golf

Face angle at address, Graves Golf

February 4th, 2015, 2:56 am #1

At address is the face square to the target line or the path?

If I set up in my stance and place the clubhead directly behind the ball it should be square to the target. If I then close my shoulders and love the clubhead back along my path 6("-12" depending on the club) in order to set my alignments shouldn't the face now be open to my target line?

February 5th, 2015, 2:51 pm #2

I think it may appear a little open to the target line, but only a tiny bit depending on the club, but it should be square to the path the club takes which should bring it back to square to the target line at impact. The pvc drill is excellent practice for this. With this drill you place a ball where it should be at impact, another ball further back where your clubhead should be at setup and yet another ball about 5 or 6 feet behind this ball down the target line and a foot inside of the target line. Then just keep going to the positions using the 5 or 6 foot length of pvc. Obviously there is no clubhead on the pvc but you can still get the idea or you could even use a club and do this drill. Todd explains this drill on youtube, but I think he only has one ball, the one where he sets up. I would use three balls in the locations I mentioned as this is how the drill is explained on his dvd "The Single Plane Solution". Anyway, here is the link to the youtube video of Todd demonstrating this drill. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq97lst ... freload=10

February 6th, 2015, 12:34 am #3

If I set up in my stance and place the clubhead directly behind the ball it should be square to the target. If I then close my shoulders and love the clubhead back along my path 6("-12" depending on the club) in order to set my alignments shouldn't the face now be open to my target line?
I believe that Moe setup with the club on the target line and square to the target line which is closed and outside of where it ends up when you close your shoulders and 'love' the clubhead. I like the idea of loving the clubhead, I will work on that!

Regards, Herbert

February 7th, 2015, 4:59 pm #4

Pinzer,

We often used the terminology of "closed shoulders" - I sometimes use "appears to be closed" terminology to describe the shoulders however this description is not accurate. In the SPS, The lead shoulder is "in front" of the trail shoulder because the arm is higher than the trail arm - which causes the appearance of the shoulders to be closed (compared the the shoulders being parallel to the feet line). IN actuality, the shoulders are not closed. Therefore the club face will be square at address - not open.

Todd