Exercise your heart, burn fat and increase swing speed by 25mph...

Exercise your heart, burn fat and increase swing speed by 25mph...

May 17th, 2010, 2:45 am #1

http://www.swing-speed.com/

Do pros really turn their hips at 2.4mph while ams are typically at 1mph?

Herbert

May 17th, 2010, 12:02 pm #2

guys are beginning to train with this if posts on the long drive and speed training forums can be believed.

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

May 17th, 2010, 10:13 pm #3

Funny I was working out last fall now a year, My trainer had me using some bands getting the same work out on the hips, for just a few bucks, The only thing was I did not increase my swing spead but ended up with very tight upper thigh area, went away from it and soon my spead came back,

Went to the Gary Edwin right side swing about a year ago after I felt the Bertholy method was not giving the results I expected, I have never hit the ball better and more pure. I did a search for gary edwin and there was some info on the SA forum, I understand that Gary may have had some influence with moe?

Mac how is your test subject coming along with the Blue print project?

May 18th, 2010, 11:13 am #4

Lots of reading about the hips and such in the long drive and speed forums. Watching the Somax video and listening to some of what they say about the lead leg first etc is sorta Bertholy like. As a result, I am gradually learning to use my hips more within the framework of a proper swing. Reading some of Kelvin Miyahira's (speed chain developer)articles about "hip and shoulder stall" has been instructive and helpful in adding some speed.

With what I am learning about over speed training, the way the hip trainer has you rotate them faster than you can on your own makes sense, but watching the way that guy lifts his trail heel up when he rotates, well if he does that enough times that he may be in trouble. Yikes.

I am seeing improvement once again in my club head speed by adding over load / under load training to my practice. Once my speed increase plateaus doing this, I plan on purchasing a speed chain and proceeding again. I feel that the training should follow the specificity guideline, and so I want train for speed using the same action I would on the course - swinging a club. The Somax trainer doesn't fit the bill.

Regarding The Art Lesso Project - currently on hold as he has a nagging injury that must heal before he dives back in. Read all about it, current status, and other Blueprint stuff on the forum. Others chime in from time to time on the improvements they are experiencing with the Blueprint book, and more than a few have sent letters as well. You can read some of these on the forum and at my website testimonials page. You will recognize some of these folks.

I have also prepared a "dossier of reference" - a larger collection of letters people have sent in. If anybody would like a copy just email me at kmcmullen@authenticgolf.net

Kevin

"A Blueprint For Golf Excellence"

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

May 19th, 2010, 3:19 pm #5

http://www.swing-speed.com/

Do pros really turn their hips at 2.4mph while ams are typically at 1mph?

Herbert
a fairly accurate description of how to perform a good golf swing, IMHO his speed analysis is severely flawed.

The physics behind his 25x hip multiplier is inaccurate as one does not swing a club by standing upright, holding the arms outstretched horizontally and twisting only the hips. The club head's distance from the spine is continuously varying throughout the swing due to all of the angular moving parts in the swing.

The hips, spine, shoulders and arms are not like a propeller connected to a rigid shaft. The connections between these body parts are viscoelastic and much energy can be lost between them. Prichard's own shoulder separation drill is proof of this. You can turn your hips quickly and by a large amount without moving your shoulders at all.

The hips aren't the only energy supplier in the swing. While Prichard is correct in stating that a good swing starts from the ground up, it is also true that energy is supplied by the feet, legs, hips, torso, shoulders, arms and hands. And while I think that it is a good thing to generate more hip speed, it is not the only thing that should be trained for speed.

Last edited by allenws on May 19th, 2010, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 19th, 2010, 6:47 pm #6

I think that Pritchard is all over the map with a lot of 'pseudo science' as Peter said. However I think that what he proposes does work. The propeller analogy is absurd as you mention but on the other hand it does get the idea across.

Regards, Herbert

May 19th, 2010, 7:40 pm #7

absolute statements backed by "pseudo science" that loses him credibility. I in fact purchased the SOMAX hip trainer several years ago in an impulse buy (I have a horrible weakness for golf gadgetry.) I used it faithfully for a couple of seasons, following his drills precisely. It didn't buy me a single MPH of club head speed, although it did make my hips stronger. It could be that I'm an athletic moron ... but based on my results with Bertholy, me thinks not.

May 20th, 2010, 1:17 am #8

Thanks for the feedback on the hip trainer! I was thinking of cobbling something to together to try doing the exercises but I don't guess that I will bother now. I am curious if you ever corresponded with Pritchard to explain your lack of results and ask for his opinion?

I actually seem to be hitting it further now then I have in a long time. I have pretty much quit lifting weights and I have focused on stretching for the most part. I also changed my grip to a double overlap with the trail hand on top in order to get rid of the hooks and hit it straighter. Last weekend I reached a par 5 in two that I had not reached once in the last 3 years. LOL we will see what happens this weekend.

Regards, Herbert

May 20th, 2010, 2:06 pm #9

correspond with Prichard about my lack of progress. He blamed it on micro fibers and suggested I consider a micro fiber reduction program. I found this odd since I am quite flexible for my age and was able to pass his "are you flexible enough for golf" tests. I had to laugh when he stated that casting is solely a result of micro fibers in the forearm muscles. Having already read Bertholy and done his programs at least for a little while, I knew better.