Ernie Els and the belly putter?

Ernie Els and the belly putter?

gsw

May 1st, 2012, 6:47 pm #1

Ernie Els nearly won last weeks tournament while putting with a belly putter. It wasn't that long ago that Ernie complained about the belly and long putters being allowed on the PGA Tour, now he uses one but still thinks that anchoring a golf club should be banned from the game but his recent quote is "as long as it is legal then I will keep on cheating like everyone else".

While I don't feel that the length of a putter or anchoring a putter to your body should be banned my side saddle method of putting is completely legal and the USGA has already ruled on side saddle putting even recently changing the rule in a manner that makes it almost impossible to get a penalty called while putting side saddle.

Here is the rule and the exceptions to the rule it is rule 16.1-e

16.1.e. Standing Astride or on Line of Putt
The player must not make a stroke on the putting green from a stance astride, or with either foot touching, the line of putt or an extension of that line behind the ball.
Exception: There is no penalty if the stance is inadvertently taken on or astride the line of putt (or an extension of that line behind the ball) or is taken to avoid standing on another players line of putt or prospective line of putt.

As you can see if a golfer inadvertently stands on the line or stands on the line to advoid standing on another players line he is not violating the rule. So unless the golfer stands on the line all the time according to the rule side saddle putting simply cannot be called a violation.

Here is the most recent qoute from Ernie Els about anchoring a golf club to the body.
http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepag ... an-it.html

Stan

May 2nd, 2012, 1:22 pm #2

I have been trying 'the belly' with limited success. I tried the 'long putter' first, but I was just too inconsistant and felt like everyone was watching me. I now have a 'belly putter', but I really have trouble getting long putts to the hole with it 'anchored' just to the left of my navel. I have had 'some' limited success using a 38" 'belly putter' as a traditional putter [not anchored.....just choked down using as a big heavy putter].

I have a terrible back............currently sidelined due to the back and avoiding golf & even the putting green.

Is using a non-anchored belly putter in a traditional putter fashion feasible? I know it won't help the back, but my other problem is 'the yips'.

Geez.........after reading this, maybe I should just quit.

Hawk

[I watched Ernie closely.......he played great...I wish he and Dufner could have both won]

May 2nd, 2012, 2:44 pm #3

Ernie Els nearly won last weeks tournament while putting with a belly putter. It wasn't that long ago that Ernie complained about the belly and long putters being allowed on the PGA Tour, now he uses one but still thinks that anchoring a golf club should be banned from the game but his recent quote is "as long as it is legal then I will keep on cheating like everyone else".

While I don't feel that the length of a putter or anchoring a putter to your body should be banned my side saddle method of putting is completely legal and the USGA has already ruled on side saddle putting even recently changing the rule in a manner that makes it almost impossible to get a penalty called while putting side saddle.

Here is the rule and the exceptions to the rule it is rule 16.1-e

16.1.e. Standing Astride or on Line of Putt
The player must not make a stroke on the putting green from a stance astride, or with either foot touching, the line of putt or an extension of that line behind the ball.
Exception: There is no penalty if the stance is inadvertently taken on or astride the line of putt (or an extension of that line behind the ball) or is taken to avoid standing on another players line of putt or prospective line of putt.

As you can see if a golfer inadvertently stands on the line or stands on the line to advoid standing on another players line he is not violating the rule. So unless the golfer stands on the line all the time according to the rule side saddle putting simply cannot be called a violation.

Here is the most recent qoute from Ernie Els about anchoring a golf club to the body.
http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepag ... an-it.html

Stan
If it works and it's not illegal,then use it;that's my motto. Looks as if Ernie Els believes that too,even though he thinks it should be illegal.

http://www.golfmagic.com/instruction-ar ... /9955.html

For over 10 years (off and on I've been using the armpit putter (T-Roll putter) invented by Tom Perry of Indianapolis,In. Not sure if Tom is currently involved with making these putters,but I noticed they are still for sale online.

Here is Tom Perry's patent for the armpit putter; what he called the T-Roll putter:

http://www.ptodirect.com/Results/Patent ... PN/5947837

Here is a picture showing how the putter fits under your armpit. I use a slightly different setup,with left hand low,and my right hand on the club in a claw-like grip.

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA

Regards,
Bob

May 3rd, 2012, 6:15 pm #4

I have been trying 'the belly' with limited success. I tried the 'long putter' first, but I was just too inconsistant and felt like everyone was watching me. I now have a 'belly putter', but I really have trouble getting long putts to the hole with it 'anchored' just to the left of my navel. I have had 'some' limited success using a 38" 'belly putter' as a traditional putter [not anchored.....just choked down using as a big heavy putter].

I have a terrible back............currently sidelined due to the back and avoiding golf & even the putting green.

Is using a non-anchored belly putter in a traditional putter fashion feasible? I know it won't help the back, but my other problem is 'the yips'.

Hawk

[I watched Ernie closely.......he played great...I wish he and Dufner could have both won]
A golfing buddy uses a belly putter but holds it like you would when playing croquet.

He's not quite as open as in this picture. He does quite well putting that way.

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA

Regards,
Bob

May 3rd, 2012, 7:54 pm #5

May 4th, 2012, 12:19 am #6

Hawk

Cabrera did something like that when he won the Masters. Ray Floyd used something like that too.

You might also try holding that 38" putter near the end. You will be standing pretty upright so it will be good on your back. Your elbows will be bent quite a lot but you will be able to make a pretty straight back and through swing. I've monkeyed with it.

May 4th, 2012, 2:17 am #7

Hawk

Just like the other pictures of Sneed and the croquet player I put with a 52in putter putting side saddle. This has helped my back tremendously!!!! I am also putter ALOT better!. I used to three putt 3-4 times a round now I 3 putt maybe once every few rounds. Try it you will not be sorry!

BTW: If you do try it use at least a center shafted putter. I built my putter Im right handed and used a left handed putter cross shafted with a right handed shaft, this way the shaft doesnt hit your leg on long putts.