Encounter with tour pro today

Encounter with tour pro today

gsw

January 20th, 2011, 2:29 am #1

This is my first year of retirement so I am currently down in Florida doing the snowbird thing. Today I was hitting balls at the local golf course and Nationwide tour player David Morland came over and started talking to the golfer next to me. That golfer was having trouble with his swing so David gave him a quick lesson. Needless to say I paid very close attention to what David had to say. The fix was very quick and to the point and it is something that I have heard before on this forum. David told the golfer to bend over more from the hips. He told him that by standing too upright he was unable to get his shoulders to turn down and under and instead his shoulders were turning more around instead of under. The golfer immediately began hitting the ball better, in fact as David walked off the golfer grabbed his cell phone and called and set up a money game with his playing buddies. I guess he figured he could beat them now that David has his game straitened out. Later I was working on my sidesaddle putting and David came over to me and gave me a tip to try anchoring my top hand while putting instead of simply holding the top with my left hand. David told me that his Grandfather was a sidesaddle putter and that there was nothing wrong with putting sidesaddle. He said that pros don't do it simply because they cannot give up what they have done all their lives and take the chance on losing their livelihood. Anyway, David Morland seemed like a nice guy. Here is a link to a Golf Channel episode that featured David Morland in case you guys have never heard of him http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-vide ... turn-2779/

Stan

January 20th, 2011, 2:52 am #2

Thanks for sharing Stan...lucky dawg in sunshine and all! Hit a few for all of us..actually hit a lot for all of us!

kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

January 20th, 2011, 2:34 pm #3

This is my first year of retirement so I am currently down in Florida doing the snowbird thing. Today I was hitting balls at the local golf course and Nationwide tour player David Morland came over and started talking to the golfer next to me. That golfer was having trouble with his swing so David gave him a quick lesson. Needless to say I paid very close attention to what David had to say. The fix was very quick and to the point and it is something that I have heard before on this forum. David told the golfer to bend over more from the hips. He told him that by standing too upright he was unable to get his shoulders to turn down and under and instead his shoulders were turning more around instead of under. The golfer immediately began hitting the ball better, in fact as David walked off the golfer grabbed his cell phone and called and set up a money game with his playing buddies. I guess he figured he could beat them now that David has his game straitened out. Later I was working on my sidesaddle putting and David came over to me and gave me a tip to try anchoring my top hand while putting instead of simply holding the top with my left hand. David told me that his Grandfather was a sidesaddle putter and that there was nothing wrong with putting sidesaddle. He said that pros don't do it simply because they cannot give up what they have done all their lives and take the chance on losing their livelihood. Anyway, David Morland seemed like a nice guy. Here is a link to a Golf Channel episode that featured David Morland in case you guys have never heard of him http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-vide ... turn-2779/

Stan
Have fun in FL.

Peter

January 21st, 2011, 11:05 pm #4

Stan
Sounds like a really, really cool guy! Not too many like that....I live in FL also....what part are u in? I live just north of west palm....we love FL!...

January 22nd, 2011, 2:33 pm #5

"Not too many like that...."

In my day job I work with a gal who is the Aunt to Stuart Appleby. He comes to town for holidays often as his wife is from the area and they do the family get together thing. When she told me this I was like wow, you think you could introduce me? She said sure but it wouldn't be worth it - since he's become successful he's turned into real snot, arrogant, aloof and better than everyone else...family cn't stand him now.

Needless to say I was shocked and disappointed. I'd like to think that Golf as a sport, and the players, are different from other sports and their professionals. On the whole, I think this is true...with the exception Tiger's recent exploits and John Daly's drama, the sport is "squeaky clean". You see very little in the media about this player being in trouble, or scandals about cheating, etc. LOL, we even call penalties on ourselves, and the rules committee will even DQ a if a fan catches a penalty and phones it in and they review the tape and it's true!

It is one of the few sports left where pay is still based largely on performance - you don't perform - you don't get paid. Try running that one by your typical NBA player or baseball player.

It's is great to hear about guys like David Morland keeping it real with us mortals, and not forgetting "from whence he came". Hopefully he stays grounded and doesn't forget this as he gets better and enjoys increased success.

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

gsw

January 22nd, 2011, 3:25 pm #6

Sounds like a really, really cool guy! Not too many like that....I live in FL also....what part are u in? I live just north of west palm....we love FL!...
I am in Flagler Beach for about a month and then I am going to be at Disney for a week to attend a wedding so all together I am in Florida for about five weeks. It has already been two of those weeks so three weeks to go. David Morland has not made it to the point that he is super rich like some of the pros so maybe that is why he is more down to earth.

Stan