Dustin Johnson

Dustin Johnson

June 21st, 2010, 1:52 am #1

Interesting looking at such a 'Hogan-esque' technique in a long hitter. Hogan was not known to be especially long.

Peter

June 21st, 2010, 2:09 am #2

Very similar to Hogan:

Peter

June 21st, 2010, 7:15 pm #3

how much he can get that bent trail elbow in front of his trail hip. Given the extreme hip rotation (facing the target at impact) this is just remarkable.

June 21st, 2010, 9:12 pm #4

Interesting looking at such a 'Hogan-esque' technique in a long hitter. Hogan was not known to be especially long.

Peter
There seem to be varying accounts of just how long Hogan was. James Dodson in his book on Hogan's life seems indicate that newspapers and other players at the time thought that Hogan was indeed long off of the tee.

Here is a quote from Dodson's book that I found interesting:
Though Ben failed to reveal as much in his famous Life article, anyone who had watched the evolution of his swing from his breakthrough in 1940 to his postwar stature near the summit of the game in 1946 knew hed also considerably shortened the monstrous backswing that once pounded balls out of the Los Angeles Coliseum. The newer, tighter leverage action gave him the control he craved by reducing the variables of spin on the ball. His extraordinarily supple wrists remained the key, however, to his unearthly length with a driver--a delayed release that sent the ball scorching off the tee, producing a sound that generations of players claimed was unique to Hogan. If you ever heard Hogan hit a ball, says Ben Crenshaw flatly, it was like no other sound in golf.

Regards, Herbert

June 21st, 2010, 11:31 pm #5

In the Shell 'Wonderful World of Golf' show that featured Snead vs Hogan I don't remember Hogan outdriving snead on any of the holes. When I can dig up my spreadsheet with the data from that show I'll post a summary of the driving results.

Peter

June 22nd, 2010, 12:36 am #6

That would be many years past Hogan's prime. Snead was very long though and I suspect that he was probably longer the Hogan when both were in their primes. According to the book Hogan did say that he lost 10 to 15 yards after the accident.

Regards, Herbert

June 22nd, 2010, 12:39 am #7

In the Shell 'Wonderful World of Golf' show that featured Snead vs Hogan I don't remember Hogan outdriving snead on any of the holes. When I can dig up my spreadsheet with the data from that show I'll post a summary of the driving results.

Peter
In the shell match there were a couple of holes reported where Hogan and Snead wer about the same off the tee but for most snead was a club or more longer. Hogan's driving distace ranged from 250-265 yards. Sneed from 260 to 275. Most commonly Sneed was about 20-25 past Hogan so adding 15 would've still left him hitting first.

In some other televised matches from that era ('Big Three','Challenge Golf'...) there were golfers hitting up to 300 yards (I have Palmer and Player hitting 290 yard drives in 'Challenge Golf' matches).

Peter
Last edited by sagf_moderator on June 22nd, 2010, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 22nd, 2010, 1:35 pm #8

Very similar to Hogan:

Peter
Is this natural for him? Or did he train himself to get into this position? I guess I'm wondering do most pros naturally have lag/leverage when they first started golfing?

June 22nd, 2010, 5:15 pm #9

and you're not. Bertholy noted that children learn differently than adults. All the tour pros today, to my knowledge, started as childresn. The tour pros for whom I have video as juniors had great lag when they were juniors but the reason I have video is they were alreeady competing at golf.

So I expect that if Dustin did not have this position naturally he was already pretty close and any additional learning was done long before he became an adult. This is not to say that adults can't learn to do this, they can but it is more difficult and based on my experience and comments from Scott (IMA) the further you let your trail elbow get away from its 'on station' position the more difficult it is to get it there (I can't over emphasize this) but when you can get it there the mechanics of the swing become different.

Peter

June 23rd, 2010, 4:03 pm #10

Peter
to get you in the foliage---- took hogan a long time to learn to keep the ball in play (great afterwards)
How many think they can hit accuratly from the position Dustin is in -- study this if you are under the age of 12, peter can you put up a comparison of johnson and mcdowwel