Driver

Driver

February 4th, 2010, 6:29 am #1

I played a 47 inch Taylormade driver for several months. I hit it pretty decently with a tendency to hook with easy swings a slice on hard swings. Since I was fooling around with MOI matching I decided to cut it down to see how I liked it. I cut it down to 44 inches which made an immediate improvement in fairways hit and cost some distance. The MOI matched the 5 wood pretty closely according to my MOI tester. A good trade really.

Anyway with the new driver length easy swings tend to slice and hard swings tend to hook. I suppose that this change is due to making the shaft effectively stiffer in flex by shortening the club so much. Anyway I thought it kind of interesting.

Regards, Herbert

February 4th, 2010, 4:53 pm #2

I need to 'invent' a telescopic shaft extension so people can try different lengths without having to Epoxy extensions in (which are VERY tricky to remove from graphite and can result in shaft failure)...need to have a grip you can remove easily, maybe a 'zipper' like used on baggies

From the two lengths you have tried, it looks like there is a happy medium there somewhere.

hp

February 4th, 2010, 8:55 pm #3

If you learn to install and remove grips with compressed air, then that part is taken care of.

I've put temporary extensions in. Wrap the insert portion in masking tape so it's good and tight, and wrap the "finished" shaft tightly too. Then blow the grip onto it.

Also, check this out:
http://www.wishongolf.com/spiralock.php

You have to get the head threaded. And the gizmo costs $50 retail. But once you have that setup, you can change shafts in a few seconds. You'd have to go through a clubmaker with a Wishon account to get it.

February 5th, 2010, 6:06 am #4

I need to 'invent' a telescopic shaft extension so people can try different lengths without having to Epoxy extensions in (which are VERY tricky to remove from graphite and can result in shaft failure)...need to have a grip you can remove easily, maybe a 'zipper' like used on baggies

From the two lengths you have tried, it looks like there is a happy medium there somewhere.

hp
the heck are ya?

I play a rather short course that is hilly and tight so the loss of distance on a few shots is more then made up for by being in the fairway more often as opposed to up against a tree...

Telescoping probably would not work... I was thinking maybe a grip that you could add blocks onto the end of to make it longer. Maybe they could twist lock or something. Probably would break right away though.

I have done a lot of shaft extending and cutting down over the years sometimes on the same club or set... I probably have lengthened the same graphite shaft more then once at some point. Stuff like that does get a little tricky. I remember one of my early irons sets I extended with plastic shaft extenders and several of them broke while hitting balls. I usually use an old shaft or metal extenders since then.

Regards, Herbert

February 5th, 2010, 1:35 pm #5

If you learn to install and remove grips with compressed air, then that part is taken care of.

I've put temporary extensions in. Wrap the insert portion in masking tape so it's good and tight, and wrap the "finished" shaft tightly too. Then blow the grip onto it.

Also, check this out:
http://www.wishongolf.com/spiralock.php

You have to get the head threaded. And the gizmo costs $50 retail. But once you have that setup, you can change shafts in a few seconds. You'd have to go through a clubmaker with a Wishon account to get it.
Hey Snowman,

I haven't tried it but have heard a Lot about using air to blow on or save grips...I work as a clubmaker for Golfsmith (dallas location) and they will not let me have a compressor...I do use a 'blade' type tool for saving grips but it's messy...was thinking of an "easy button" way of doing it
Last edited by hoselwacker on February 5th, 2010, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 5th, 2010, 1:42 pm #6

the heck are ya?

I play a rather short course that is hilly and tight so the loss of distance on a few shots is more then made up for by being in the fairway more often as opposed to up against a tree...

Telescoping probably would not work... I was thinking maybe a grip that you could add blocks onto the end of to make it longer. Maybe they could twist lock or something. Probably would break right away though.

I have done a lot of shaft extending and cutting down over the years sometimes on the same club or set... I probably have lengthened the same graphite shaft more then once at some point. Stuff like that does get a little tricky. I remember one of my early irons sets I extended with plastic shaft extenders and several of them broke while hitting balls. I usually use an old shaft or metal extenders since then.

Regards, Herbert
Herbert! long time no? I know you for the club ho you are

Am just thinking out loud, I think there would be a market for something to make it EASY. Take care, hp

February 5th, 2010, 2:41 pm #7

Hey Snowman,

I haven't tried it but have heard a Lot about using air to blow on or save grips...I work as a clubmaker for Golfsmith (dallas location) and they will not let me have a compressor...I do use a 'blade' type tool for saving grips but it's messy...was thinking of an "easy button" way of doing it
I also use the blade tool and while it works, it's not quick and like you said it's messy.

I haven't tried the compressor but there's been lots of discussion about in on Spinetalkers off & on and apparently it is as fast and easy as you'd like.

Peter

February 5th, 2010, 2:56 pm #8

can change a grip in about 30 seconds using a compressor. I've watched him do it many times. You do have to cover the butt of the shaft with tape though, otherwise the air will just blow down the shaft and there won't be enough pressure build-up to get the grip to slide on/off.

February 8th, 2010, 1:47 pm #9

I will make a video and post it on youtube. Using air could not be easier, and I just use a little tire inflator.

February 10th, 2010, 12:32 pm #10