Driver

Driver

July 3rd, 2011, 6:48 am #1

The course that I play has a couple of short holes that from the tee like you are looking down the wrong end of a telescope. I usually hit 4 iron or hybrid off the tee in order to keep the ball in play. I still hit too many poor shots that cost me strokes so I thought it might be smarter to hit a choked down driver as it is a tee shot and I can tee it up and then hit it easy with that big old head, should be hard to miss. So anyway I have tried it 4 times in two round with good results except for the fact that the ball is going too far and getting into tougher spots to approach the green. As a matter of fact the ball is going close to my normal driving distance as the shots are low and roll a lot.

I decided to investigate further this morning by getting out the radar unit and measuring some driver swing clubhead speeds. My driver is an R9 that is 47 inches long. Swinging it from the end of the grip my clubhead speeds were from the high 90's to 105 or so depending on how I swung. Choked down to the metal on the grip I was swinging it pretty much the same speed... I measured and when I choke down the driver is essentially playing at 43 inches which is the old standard length. I am planning to shorten up on the driver tomorrow and see what happens. I am hoping to keep it on line better if nothing else.

So what length driver do you play?

Regards, Herbert

July 3rd, 2011, 1:08 pm #2

And weighing 380 grams....I have hit the newer lighter longer drivers and my numbers don't improve that much and my accuracy suffers....it baffles the club fitters....they all say it is what I am used to and that if I got used to a "normal" driver I would hit it farther.

Oh yeah- swing weight is like a c-3 or something like that....which they can't believe either....

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

hfd

July 3rd, 2011, 6:13 pm #3

The course that I play has a couple of short holes that from the tee like you are looking down the wrong end of a telescope. I usually hit 4 iron or hybrid off the tee in order to keep the ball in play. I still hit too many poor shots that cost me strokes so I thought it might be smarter to hit a choked down driver as it is a tee shot and I can tee it up and then hit it easy with that big old head, should be hard to miss. So anyway I have tried it 4 times in two round with good results except for the fact that the ball is going too far and getting into tougher spots to approach the green. As a matter of fact the ball is going close to my normal driving distance as the shots are low and roll a lot.

I decided to investigate further this morning by getting out the radar unit and measuring some driver swing clubhead speeds. My driver is an R9 that is 47 inches long. Swinging it from the end of the grip my clubhead speeds were from the high 90's to 105 or so depending on how I swung. Choked down to the metal on the grip I was swinging it pretty much the same speed... I measured and when I choke down the driver is essentially playing at 43 inches which is the old standard length. I am planning to shorten up on the driver tomorrow and see what happens. I am hoping to keep it on line better if nothing else.

Regards, Herbert
https://www.boccierigolf.com/pdf/innova ... driver.pdf

This is a link to the Heavy Driver data on drivers. This confirms what JK has been saying for years. Its not the weight of a driver but the distribution of that weight. I have taken one of my drivers and fitted a 40gram butt weight. No loss of distance but consistency level soared. I intend to build another driver to the full HD specifications.

BTW Herbert, if you cut your driver down you will probable find it useless due to the lack of head feel. Try it but have a shaft extension on standby!!

HFD

July 4th, 2011, 1:44 am #4

Regards, Herbert
I've settled in on 44" with a 70 gram shaft for the past few years. About 13* actual loft, and quite closed face. I hit it pretty well, I always thought.

Yesterday I got to observe a very high quality outdoor driver fitting of a golfing buddy. It was done by a guy with a great reputation and all the stuff a fitter could ever want. Turns out my friend has a very negative angle of attack. Over -5 degrees. He said people with that situation often prefer shorter drivers. He worked with my buddy a little and got him down to -3.x which he said was a fair improvement. I always figured my AofA was probably about level, but maybe it was negative.

It got me to thinking about the ball position and what I could do to hit more upward without screwing up my swing. I had just built a 45" 11.5* driver with 62 gram shaft, so I took it and my gamer to the range. I moved the ball forward to the inside edge/instep of my front foot. I didn't hit my usual driver very well, but I was just killing the 45 incher. I think the 44"/13*/closed was optimized for my prior ball position which was a couple-three inches rearward of the foot.

I'm going to be giving this 45" one a good try going forward.

I've had no luck at all with anything longer than 45" in the past, no matter what setup adjustments I made. I felt they changed my swing. For those who don't know, virtually ALL drivers sold today are longer than 45".

July 4th, 2011, 2:01 am #5

https://www.boccierigolf.com/pdf/innova ... driver.pdf

This is a link to the Heavy Driver data on drivers. This confirms what JK has been saying for years. Its not the weight of a driver but the distribution of that weight. I have taken one of my drivers and fitted a 40gram butt weight. No loss of distance but consistency level soared. I intend to build another driver to the full HD specifications.

BTW Herbert, if you cut your driver down you will probable find it useless due to the lack of head feel. Try it but have a shaft extension on standby!!

HFD
I got a warning when I tried to use your link:

You attempted to reach www.boccierigolf.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as heavyputter.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of www.boccierigolf.com. You should not proceed.

I have tried cutting down drivers in the past with very limited success so I am in agreement with you there!

Herbert

July 4th, 2011, 2:08 am #6

Regards, Herbert
That worked... Fairways all day and certainly no loss of distance probably a gain in distance.

Regards, Herbert

July 4th, 2011, 2:12 am #7

I've settled in on 44" with a 70 gram shaft for the past few years. About 13* actual loft, and quite closed face. I hit it pretty well, I always thought.

Yesterday I got to observe a very high quality outdoor driver fitting of a golfing buddy. It was done by a guy with a great reputation and all the stuff a fitter could ever want. Turns out my friend has a very negative angle of attack. Over -5 degrees. He said people with that situation often prefer shorter drivers. He worked with my buddy a little and got him down to -3.x which he said was a fair improvement. I always figured my AofA was probably about level, but maybe it was negative.

It got me to thinking about the ball position and what I could do to hit more upward without screwing up my swing. I had just built a 45" 11.5* driver with 62 gram shaft, so I took it and my gamer to the range. I moved the ball forward to the inside edge/instep of my front foot. I didn't hit my usual driver very well, but I was just killing the 45 incher. I think the 44"/13*/closed was optimized for my prior ball position which was a couple-three inches rearward of the foot.

I'm going to be giving this 45" one a good try going forward.

I've had no luck at all with anything longer than 45" in the past, no matter what setup adjustments I made. I felt they changed my swing. For those who don't know, virtually ALL drivers sold today are longer than 45".
Leith Anderson at golf lab said that I had a negative angle of attack according to his radar so that would seem to be in line with the information that you got from the club fitter. I suppose I must be leaving some yards on the table by not swinging the 47 inches correctly...

Regards, Herbert

gsw

July 4th, 2011, 4:05 am #8

Regards, Herbert
And it does not seem to cost me any distance. I think that the club just feels to be more in balance when I grip down on it. I do tend to let my hands creep up more toward the end of the grip at times and my accuracy suffers when that happens. Oh well, just do whatever works well for you. By the way, did you get your six iron fixed?

Stan

July 4th, 2011, 6:21 am #9

Yep, one evening I went to the range and asked the pro if they had found the head and went into the workers area and came back with it. I re-shafted it with a dynamic gold S300 shaft that I had laying around and liked it so well that I re-shafted the rest of the irons. The feel is a lot better and I believe my accuracy has improved also.

The driver at 43 or so inches seems so much easier to hit that it makes me kind of mad that I suffered for so long trying to hit it at full length. All I did was make the game harder. I am going to practice with it at full length though in order to hopefully keep the 'easy' feeling alive. I might try to find a non taper grip to put on it though.

Regards, Herbert

July 4th, 2011, 6:26 am #10

And weighing 380 grams....I have hit the newer lighter longer drivers and my numbers don't improve that much and my accuracy suffers....it baffles the club fitters....they all say it is what I am used to and that if I got used to a "normal" driver I would hit it farther.

Oh yeah- swing weight is like a c-3 or something like that....which they can't believe either....

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!
Interesting. I am guessing that your angle of attack is probably pretty good? Or not negative like mine is? Hmmmm, is that a double negative???

Have you tried a shorter driver like 43 inches on a launch monitor?

Regards, Herbert