Driver Swings

Driver Swings

April 10th, 2012, 12:15 am #1

Found a great way to hit BirdieBalls with driver...just cut off some of that extra foam pipe insulation you have left over from making Peter's path trainer:

Here's two recent driver swings. The camera angle on the down line swing was to far toward the target line, was pressed for time and got it a bit wrong. :

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="360"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="360"></embed></object>

The foam insulation works great, it is so light that as you can see, when it is hit it does not travel very far. This is big news to me, now I don't have to go to range at all to practice. With my new "schedule" ( hi Jeffrey ) I don't have near the time for practice I would normally. Now I can work on driver with just a 2 minute walk to the park!

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

April 10th, 2012, 12:14 pm #2

Very nice swing. To me, it looks a lot more like Moe than MGS. But I'm horrible at discerning the fine points of swings. Other than the bending of the lead arm I thought it looked like a Moe swing with a slightly closed stance.

I've got a birthday coming up, and I'm going to have to add Birdie Balls to the list. Along with the Moe book.

April 10th, 2012, 1:57 pm #3

Found a great way to hit BirdieBalls with driver...just cut off some of that extra foam pipe insulation you have left over from making Peter's path trainer:

Here's two recent driver swings. The camera angle on the down line swing was to far toward the target line, was pressed for time and got it a bit wrong. :

The foam insulation works great, it is so light that as you can see, when it is hit it does not travel very far. This is big news to me, now I don't have to go to range at all to practice. With my new "schedule" ( hi Jeffrey ) I don't have near the time for practice I would normally. Now I can work on driver with just a 2 minute walk to the park!

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

http://www.birdieball.com/scripts/prodV ... roduct=214

April 10th, 2012, 4:42 pm #4

They sell a pro version that is guarnateed not to crack orbreak. The standard one does and I have broen about a dozen. The standard is made by injection molding in China....the pro is machined from a solid block of material here in the US.

Higher swing speeds and driver should just use the pro. Call and ask for John and mention my name and company and you may get a break....

Kevin

April 11th, 2012, 2:04 am #5

Very nice swing. To me, it looks a lot more like Moe than MGS. But I'm horrible at discerning the fine points of swings. Other than the bending of the lead arm I thought it looked like a Moe swing with a slightly closed stance.

I've got a birthday coming up, and I'm going to have to add Birdie Balls to the list. Along with the Moe book.
I use the MGS set up. Here's three stills of me setting up MGS. The left is SA Aligned in late summer '11, the middle is my most recent 6 iron, and the right is the driver:

Note the position of my head in the more recent ones, not bent down as much.

Also, look at the angle of the lead arm and the shaft. What I am trying to do now and it has worked wonders, is just take that angle to the top, with a very loose grip in my right hand. I don't try and increase the angle with a bicep curl ala my Blueprint/Bertholy, my right arm just bends as it needs too.

If you stop the video at about the 8 second mark before I complete the back swing, you can see my lead wrist is flat. Then, as I change direction, the loading of the club as I transition, cups the wrist slightly as Peter has noted. Note that my right wrist has not changed it's bend at all as this loading takes place.

Now here is the interesting thing - at address, I let my lead arm hang, and simply "dock" it to the grip. I don't turn it under to make it "weak", and I don't make it "strong". I figure this is the way my arm hangs, and the way it will be coming back down, so to avoid any manipulation I just grip it like that. And swing my arms up and back down, with the lead arm being the guide...

This is MGS.....with the emphasis on "minimal"

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

May 29th, 2012, 12:11 am #6

They sell a pro version that is guarnateed not to crack orbreak. The standard one does and I have broen about a dozen. The standard is made by injection molding in China....the pro is machined from a solid block of material here in the US.

Higher swing speeds and driver should just use the pro. Call and ask for John and mention my name and company and you may get a break....

Kevin

I love these things! Thanks Kevin.

I just set them on top of my grass, hover the club and strike them without getting down to the dirt. Doesn't damage the grass much, gives me my path in the grass, shows the point of impact on the clubface. I can even shank them, lol. It appears to me that 150 feet of free space would be useful. I have only hit irons though.

Also useful for chipping and pitching. They aren't as heavy as a real ball (I don't think anyway) but they have enough heft that they give you feedback about the contact.
Last edited by Snowman9000 on May 29th, 2012, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 29th, 2012, 9:20 pm #7

I turned onto the Birdie balls loves them. I no longer go to the range unless I'm preparing for a big match or something, and need to warm up.

I'm glad you liked them and your description highlights some of the key benefits - one of which I overlooked - the ball mark. No need for impact tape right?

To really do it right you do need about 60 yards-that is if you want to hit every club in the bag including driver. I am blessed that way in that I have a park just a minute walk from my home. Even with my limited practice time due to the arrival of Jeffrey I am still able to hit some balls a few times a week if only for 15 to 20 min. That's enough to at least keep me in golf shape for my weekly league matches.

They just really are a gas to hit....

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum