Creating Paths

Creating Paths

February 7th, 2010, 5:31 pm #1

From an article about habits, find the whole article here. Here is an excerpt:
""Imagine that you are taking a walk through a dense forest. The first time you go through, there is so much difficulty for your passage in the form of tree branches, shrubs, thorns, insects and so on, that you have to use your machete to clear your way through. However, the second time you walk through, it won't be as hard because you already started creating a pathway through the jungle on your first walk. Now, every time you walk through, you make the pathway freer and so there is less and less difficulty along your walk. Eventually, the pathway will become a beaten-track, then a well-worn path and ultimately a clear thoroughfare."

He waited for me to absorb this scenario.

"Now, the important point here is, the new path must offer you an attractive destination. Otherwise, you wont be traveling through again and again. There must be a fruit worthwhile pursuing, to make you want to do it again and again."

He gave a dramatic pause, and said

"And that fruit must be more attractive, than the pleasure you get out of smoking. When a smoke trigger surfaces, you must be strongly motivated take the new path, instead of falling back to old ways. Chandra, are you with me on this?"

Mami was standing by our side looking at our plates. We were not even aware of how we ate our dosas. It should have been quite sometime since we finished eating. The plates and our hands had dried up totally. WS let out a funny sounding laughter, feeling embarrassed about it.

"See, eating is another habit, and this is what happens when the energy saved is used in talking while eating......""

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

February 7th, 2010, 6:45 pm #2

Sure sounds like you been smoking something!!

February 7th, 2010, 10:32 pm #3

Yeah...the whole article is very good reading.

I especially like the last sentence about saving energy.

When you have created a pathway for a certain action, you then have a choice (before there was no choice) You can execute with a large energy output or a choose the "green option" of execution that saves energy. Imagine how much energy, time, and effort would have been WASTED had they chosen to think about everything they had to do to eat their food. "A mind is a terrible thing to waste". This is the equivalent of playing a shot using conscious direction versus unconscious automatic execution. The later is much more efficient.

I liked this section of the article because it reminded me of a conversation Carey Mumford and I had when I visited him. We were talking about finishing a round and the phenomenon of how many times players at all levels seem to struggle coming in. I suggested that it was the player running outa physical gas. He said well, it happens to highly conditioned pros, and to those who use carts. He said that just like we only have a certain amount of physical gas, likewise we only have a certain amount of mental/emotional gas. When we are out we are out. If your play is such that you consume more mental energy than you need, you will run out, and have trouble finishing.

Once new pathways have been made, another opportunity is presented for another choice. You can choose which pathway you want to travel down...the interesting thing is even if you don't choose...you still make a choice. The spoils go to those that learn how to make the best choice among many competing ones.

Excuse me, while I kiss the sky

February 7th, 2010, 11:51 pm #4

Duh, not exactly rocket science. You been living under a rock?

February 8th, 2010, 12:37 am #5

Personal attacks are not allowed in this forum. You are free to say what you want about the message but not about the messenger. This will be your only warning.

Peter

February 8th, 2010, 1:36 am #6

Duh, not exactly rocket science. You been living under a rock?
It is brain science, and the things that are being discovered in this area are changing at a rapid rate. I've been doing some fascinating reading lately about the collaboration of brain scientists and physical therapists and how their complimentary disciplines are advancing both fields. One study talks extensively motor learning as it relates to hitting a golf ball of all things....imagine that.

And while it isn't exactly rocket science, and this science has been around "for awhile now" it continues to fascinate me how most of the golf world continues to operate with an outdated and ( for the most part ) highly ineffective model of instruction and how best to learn the golf swing and play your best game.

And yes, for many of these things, I have indeed been "living under a rock" if you want to put it like that - and I freely admit that. The science behind all that I have been about I am just now diving into. For me starting out, it was enough to know that Moe considered Bertholy his teacher, and that Bertholy taught that you could build a fine swing with enough repetitions of the correct motion. Then later, when Lyle A posted about clearkey, and the benefit he found, it was an easy thing for me to say if it helps Lyle, I am soooo there. When I learned more of the clearkey process and that the golf swing could indeed be played "on automatic" with the same unthinking involvement that we do hundreds of other tasks everyday, I said "why not". I am the type that doesn't need a lot of explanations - I dive in and if it works fine and if not it's a throw away.

But the science behind it all is fascinating, and as I dive in more and more I am convinced more and more that the method and way I go about learning, teaching and playing the game is indeed the very best way. So you can mock me, say I've been smoking something, or that I've been living under a rock. It doesn't matter, at the end of the day all that matters is if I have found a way to learn and play the game that is fun, effective, and gets results - and that those who look to me find the same...so far so good.

So go ahead and put that in your pipe and have a smoke of your own....

February 11th, 2010, 1:37 am #7

for centuries, the sages have tried to teach us how to play the game, you just serve yours up with a little bit of curry

February 11th, 2010, 4:31 am #8

- I dream things that never were and say why not." - George Bernard Shaw

As Peter said you are welcome to your opinion. You have said you are an owner of The Blueprint, but don't even have the nads to post who you are, hiding behind an anonymous login, and you don't even write me privately. So that's cool, I get it. I guess I should have at least one detractor! Thank you.

But the thing is, the "sages" often live in the world of "only is and always shall be". I present an approach of what can and should be. Once the mind is freed to think outside the box, all kinds of things are possible...even something as strange as a golf nobody, a regular Joe, definitely not a sage...someone like this producing a significant work on golf instruction that really impacts and helps people. WOW...how very strange...only the sages are allowed to teach us right? We can't learn form the lowlifes and regular guys, I mean really who is this guy right?

Here's the thing, I count among my customers a growing list of customers who have listened to the "sages", bought their products, books, DVD's and taken lessons and found little or no improvement. They come to The Blueprint and they find the help that has eluded them. THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. For whatever reason something resonates in their golfing soul, and they improve and get better, and are happier golfers. THAT IS COOL!

As I said before, you can say anything you want about me, and opine about The Blueprint as some insignificant thing served up with a bit of curry. But I gotta tell ya, from the reports I am getting, it is ONE HELLUVA curry, and the sages would do well to ask for the recipe

February 12th, 2010, 1:07 am #9

You seem to know all the buzz words and catch phrases to turn around any questions we might have, and that alone makes me skeptical, then you get real humble and call youself just a regular guy, a golfing nobody. Everyone knows how most golfers will try anything to have a better game, so if you can make a few bucks off the folks in this forum, well,good luck. But you might want to read the next quote.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. George Bernard Shaw

February 12th, 2010, 2:12 am #10

Unlike yourself there are a number of participants here who have seem mcirishman's participation over a number of years starting before he knew about Bertholy and ClearKey. Based on that experience they can judge for themselves whether or not his work is worth the price. Any that are not in that group can certainly ask to get their opinions. Several in that group have already offered theirs.

It is not true that most golfers will do anything to improve their game - most will not stick to a disciplined program that requires daily work and might take months or even years to show a benefit.

Peter