Compression

Compression

February 13th, 2009, 6:52 pm #1

Although I switched to another non-SA style some time ago, I wondered whether the assembled experts on this forum would be kind enough to answer my questions on compression ?

With my new style, I feel ( and I stress feel ) that I'm compressing the ball more than I did before, particularly with my irons.

My questions are :

1. Is increased compression important and if so why ?
2. Can this be real or just a feeling ?

While I'm here, I've always wondered why you get more backspin out of a bunker ( even a fairway bunker ) than off grass ??

February 13th, 2009, 8:10 pm #2

It could be feel or real but really increasing compression will result in more backspin. This can be observed in the ball's trajectory, behavior on landing and, sometimes, in the sound of the ball just after impact. The ability to get more compression is good because it gives you more options for controlling ball flight. When you get the level of Tiger ( ) you may have to choose between several different clubs and types of swings depending on what you want the ball to do when it hits the green.

Out of grass you are more likely to have blades of grass between the clubface and the ball. That grass acts as a lubricant and reduces the friction between the clubface and the ball and so there is less backspin. If the ball is hit cleanly out of a fairway bunker you will get as much spin as a clean hit from the fairway and more than you'd get if grass was between the clubface and the ball. For greenside bunker shots the mechanism is different because the club does not strike the ball but the sand under it. Friction between the sand flying towards the target and the bottom of the ball produces backspin and not compression of the ball against the clubface.

Peter

February 14th, 2009, 4:31 pm #3

Although I switched to another non-SA style some time ago, I wondered whether the assembled experts on this forum would be kind enough to answer my questions on compression ?

With my new style, I feel ( and I stress feel ) that I'm compressing the ball more than I did before, particularly with my irons.

My questions are :

1. Is increased compression important and if so why ?
2. Can this be real or just a feeling ?

While I'm here, I've always wondered why you get more backspin out of a bunker ( even a fairway bunker ) than off grass ??
is very difficult to get good compression standing far from the ball. To get good compression you need the hands to be somewhat ahead of the ball at impact. Standing closer makes it easier to do this.

The IMA approach is one that lets you stand closer then the other SA methods, probably for the exact goal of achieving better compression at impact. I haven't asked Scott this, but would imagine that is one of the reasons for setting up the way he teaches.

Ham

February 14th, 2009, 9:23 pm #4

hands are not affecting the clubhead Atimpact according to you and Peter what does any of that have to do with "compressing" the ball -----

February 14th, 2009, 10:36 pm #5

of the ball makes a statement about the position of the club at impact.

Peter

February 15th, 2009, 1:54 am #6

my question------ if your hands arent affecting the club at impact their position cant affect compression.

February 15th, 2009, 2:26 pm #7

hands are not affecting the clubhead Atimpact according to you and Peter what does any of that have to do with "compressing" the ball -----
When and where did I post that the hands have no effect on the clubhead?

Ham

February 15th, 2009, 6:31 pm #8

my question------ if your hands arent affecting the club at impact their position cant affect compression.
Ham said:

To get good compression you need the hands to be somewhat ahead of the ball at impact.

This statement has nothing to do with the physics of the club through impact and the fact the clubhead acts as a free body during impact. It does have to do with the path the clubhead is taking at the beginning of impact and whether the contact is clean or not.

Peter

February 15th, 2009, 8:12 pm #9

Ham
Been reading Jules Boris's book 'Swing easy, Hit hard'.
His secret so he says in the book is

My swing never looks hurried because my shoulders will not
move that fast- as i enter the impact area i can speed up my hands
to what ever level i need for a particular shot.

SO there you have the secret- SWING WITH YOUR SHOULDERS AND HIT
WITH YOUR HANDS.

Ham, what do you think about his ideas?
Is it a way to hit the ball well or was Jules
not doing what he thought he was doing in his swing?

Is it possible to use a lot of hand action like
a lot of the old pro's say they did, and play at such a high level?
Peter, what do you think?

JC

February 16th, 2009, 1:29 am #10

Ham
is that at impact the hands are not affecting the club ---maybe you disagree