Club Adjustments Later in Life

Club Adjustments Later in Life

July 13th, 2012, 1:05 pm #1

As I have grown shorter and changed my swing slightly I decided to adjust my clubs. Changing the lie angles of my irons was easy since I have a lie/loft machine. Then for good measure I FLOed all my graphite shafts. Since I made these adjustments my accuracy and ball striking has notably improved. It is nice again to hit a ball where I am aiming. So it might not be that you are not executing your SA method correctly, but your clubs are hindering your execution.

Watson
GCA, PCS, ICG Certified Clubmaker

gsw

July 14th, 2012, 5:09 am #2

Watson

Which SA swing do you use?

Stan

July 14th, 2012, 11:01 am #3

But I have added the MGS Twist of shoulders.

Watson

July 14th, 2012, 6:20 pm #4

There was quite a discussion awhile back between Ham and Peter on the use of the "shoulders" vs torso. With MGS you twist your whole torso....

Not trying to start anything Watson, just want to make sure it is clear that the whole torso twists, and that this has your shoulders closed to the target line. How's your HSSw/MGS been going?

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

July 14th, 2012, 6:39 pm #5

I just meant that I made sure to turn my shoulders and trunk with the HSS swing. I tended to just revert to an arm swing. This just makes it easier to consistently get a full back swing.

Watson

July 14th, 2012, 7:48 pm #6

There was quite a discussion awhile back between Ham and Peter on the use of the "shoulders" vs torso. With MGS you twist your whole torso....

Not trying to start anything Watson, just want to make sure it is clear that the whole torso twists, and that this has your shoulders closed to the target line. How's your HSSw/MGS been going?

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

Sorry forgot to comment on how well the swing is going. As I mentioned the accuracy has gone up since I FlOed my woods and adjusted the lie to my irons. Because I am also now consistently making a more complete torso turn, distance and consistency of striking the ball have increased.

BTW I have never had much problem with hooking and am still using the standard HSS grip (no wrist pain either)and set up. I thinks the "twist" just ensures a more inside path to the ball.

Watson

July 14th, 2012, 9:21 pm #7

As I have grown shorter and changed my swing slightly I decided to adjust my clubs. Changing the lie angles of my irons was easy since I have a lie/loft machine. Then for good measure I FLOed all my graphite shafts. Since I made these adjustments my accuracy and ball striking has notably improved. It is nice again to hit a ball where I am aiming. So it might not be that you are not executing your SA method correctly, but your clubs are hindering your execution.

Watson
Lie angles are so important. I know a lot of people who say, well, the ball never lies level anyway, and my swing is not where I want it yet, etc. That's like saying to a novice rifleman, here's a rifle that does not have the sights lined up. But that's okay since you're a novice. When you get better, you should get them aligned.

July 15th, 2012, 1:16 pm #8

Sorry forgot to comment on how well the swing is going. As I mentioned the accuracy has gone up since I FlOed my woods and adjusted the lie to my irons. Because I am also now consistently making a more complete torso turn, distance and consistency of striking the ball have increased.

BTW I have never had much problem with hooking and am still using the standard HSS grip (no wrist pain either)and set up. I thinks the "twist" just ensures a more inside path to the ball.

Watson

July 15th, 2012, 8:04 pm #9

Watson
which happens to be almost identical to the HSS grip (althought the Simple Swing folks call it a "power thumb" grip - and my grip may be a tad weaker than a pure HSS grip....).

I don't always MGS "pre-twist", but I do a small core turn to start my BS in order to get into what feels like the MGS position, and then try to stay as stable as possible on the DS as MGS advocates.

My rhythem (and ball striking) seems to be better this way. I'll practice with the MGS pre-twist when I think I am getting "over active" on either the BS or DS.

So I am kind of a combo of MGS and the Simple Swing (the 1 hr version) but it seems to be working for me at the moment.

September 12th, 2012, 11:19 pm #10

Watson
I will be 92 years old in a couple of months, and play 2 or 3 times a week depending mostly on weather. I now play from the front tees with a slope of 111 and score pretty consistently between 90 and 95. I carry women's woods, Callaway 1,5,7,9 woods and an Adams 11 wood, and I use these in preference to irons whenever possible. Irons are 6 to 9 Tour Edge Iron-woods plus 3 wedges. I find the women's clubs easier to control because of their light weight and shorter length, and I am known at the club for my consistently short (~150-160 yard) but straight drives, and good chipping. This combination puts me on most greens in 1 over regulation, often up for 1 putt. I am a full 2 inches shorter than I was 15 years ago and my muscle mass is much less also. I feel that the shorter and lighter clubs are what enables me to play a still enjoyable game, and be competitive with the young 70-some guys I play with. I recommend this route to anyone over 80.