Clearkey?

Clearkey?

August 23rd, 2011, 1:16 am #1

I need help with my inconsistent golf swing.

Once in awhile, I will stray from my normal golf swing and use a baseball type swing. I love this swing but do not use it because of inconsistency. Sometimes I will chunk it and hit it fat. Other times the ball goes straight and far. But the next drive will come up woefully short and I cannot figure out why.

Perhaps it is not the swing. Am I too tense to release the club with some accuracy and power? Will the "clearkey" voodoo help a guy like me?

JK

August 23rd, 2011, 2:58 am #2

is process and a tool that allows the golfer to eliminate the distraction of conscious mechanical swing thoughts from your game ( swing ).

The basic idea is that all motor activity is best left to the subconscious for executing and this is in fact what we do in every day life.....we brush our teeth, drive our cars...type these words I am typing now...tie our shoes...shave our faces - all without giving any conscious thought to the activity we are doing. Then we grab a golf club and we tie our selves up in all manner of conscious commands and directives...cleverly disguised as swing tips, swing keys etc and we try and make a golf swing.

So the clearkey occupies your conscious mind with thoughts other than golf so that the execution and direction happens on automatic like the other things we do. So if you have a swing you prefer, that you hit the ball well with - practice that swing four times giving conscious thought to the swing....then make four swings while saying your clearkey. Before these swings though, give yourself a practice swing to "program" your subconscious. Then tell yourself your are switching to automatic and begin repeating your clearkey until you have hit the ball and are in your finish. This gives your subconscious the opportunity to "learn on the fly", and you will imprint the motion in a shorter time frame.

By executing your swing while saying your clearkey, your subconscious is freed to pick the motor nuero path it finds best suited to the task. so the more ingrained your motor pathway, the more consistent you become. Likewise, if you have not very well developed habits, the subconscious can only use what is there...

I made a couple videos on using clearkeys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1bScx0AyJk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v2N8Reo ... re=related

Kevin
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

August 23rd, 2011, 1:31 pm #3

I tried to use the Clearkey on Sat. when I played on a very tough course. (PGA tour course) I completely lost my game. Now I am not saying it was because of Clearkey because it wasn't. It was because I had a couple of major blow up hole or two early and lost all confidence. (I struggle to get out of the sand and could not get out of it on the first hole. Then it just got worse as the day went on )
I did try to use the clearkey as much as I could, and maybe some of my very good shots were because of it. But I am not use to using a Clearkey and didn't get it going many times. Then bad shots were followed by bad shots etc.

I did go to the practice area the day before and practiced hitting out of the sand while using the clearkey and had my best results getting out of the sand. But I am not trained or I should say do not at all have a sand shot that I am confident in. I almost never play out of them because we have very few on my home course.

I know Kevin says to practice using the clearkey on the range and with Pactice swings at home which i have not done for a year and 1/2 . So i am sure i need to get back to training my self top use it.

One more question for Kevin. I have heard other teaching Pro's say to focus on the target not the ball. (keep your eye on the ball, but have your focus on the target.) I had been trying to do this, with some success. When I played this weekend I stuggled trying use the clearkey and focus on the target at the same time. It seemd very hard to do both ? What is your take on it ?

August 23rd, 2011, 4:39 pm #4

Like anything else...it takes some getting used to. If you are NOT used to releasing control, you could get bad results. That is why in my book advocate doing the exercises and drills both without and with clearkey. Remember, your subconscious can only use what is there....if you don't have solid habits in place, you will get very mixed results.

More detailed answer later.....still at my day job.

Kevin

Last edited by mcirishman57 on August 23rd, 2011, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 24th, 2011, 1:32 am #5

I tried to use the Clearkey on Sat. when I played on a very tough course. (PGA tour course) I completely lost my game. Now I am not saying it was because of Clearkey because it wasn't. It was because I had a couple of major blow up hole or two early and lost all confidence. (I struggle to get out of the sand and could not get out of it on the first hole. Then it just got worse as the day went on )
I did try to use the clearkey as much as I could, and maybe some of my very good shots were because of it. But I am not use to using a Clearkey and didn't get it going many times. Then bad shots were followed by bad shots etc.

I did go to the practice area the day before and practiced hitting out of the sand while using the clearkey and had my best results getting out of the sand. But I am not trained or I should say do not at all have a sand shot that I am confident in. I almost never play out of them because we have very few on my home course.

I know Kevin says to practice using the clearkey on the range and with Pactice swings at home which i have not done for a year and 1/2 . So i am sure i need to get back to training my self top use it.

One more question for Kevin. I have heard other teaching Pro's say to focus on the target not the ball. (keep your eye on the ball, but have your focus on the target.) I had been trying to do this, with some success. When I played this weekend I stuggled trying use the clearkey and focus on the target at the same time. It seemd very hard to do both ? What is your take on it ?
This statement holds the key to understanding where you are at:
But I am not use to using a Clearkey and didn't get it going many times.
I want you to imagine something familiar to you, something you are at peace with and have a good grasp of. Something that only you control. It is something that you own completely, and you control. Now, you must give that up...you no longer are captain, you must give that up. Perhaps it is the creation of a new division in your company that will handle whole areas of responsibility previously only you controlled.

Un-settling to say the least isn't it? This is what is happening when you begin to implement clearkey for the first time. You have never played golf this way. You have always tried to direct the show. So your system responds with a big "WHOA...WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!" And it reacts in a way that is totally predictable - it defends itself against an invasion - something foreign and new and unknown. The defense mechanism that kicks in often creates physiological restrictions that inhibit free release of certain types of motor patterns.

Your system needs time to adjust to subconscious execution. And your subconscious can only use those motor neuro pathways that you have built - so it is a double edged sword. This is why some people try clearkey and play worse, and declare it "doesn't work". Of course it doesn't work - they don't have solid habits and they are not used to playing without some type of swing keys.
I have heard other teaching Pro's say to focus on the target not the ball. (keep your eye on the ball, but have your focus on the target.) I had been trying to do this, with some success. When I played this weekend I stuggled trying use the clearkey and focus on the target at the same time. It seemed very hard to do both ? What is your take on it ?
Once during one of Moe's clinics, someone asked him why he didn't glance at the target after he walked to the ball and addressed it. Moe's reply "Don't need to - target hasn't moved" This seemingly simple answer is actually another piece of genius from golf's greatest ball striker. The target represents the goal, the attainment, the positive. It is attached to an emotional outcome - positive if we hit the goal, and negative if we don't. Any type of expectation of results triggers anxiety and a heightening of our emotions. Our auto-immune system responds to this by defending against this "intruder" also, and the result is the same type of blocking mechanism I mentioned above.

The target is in the future. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PRESENT. Your job when playing is to make the best possible swing each time PERIOD. To do that you must stay IN THE PRESENT. You can't be in the present, if you are thinking about the target.To stay in the present and let your golf swing execute in real time, free from worry, hope, fear and joy, you must not be thinking about anything that can attach to those emotions - thus the clearkey. By thinking - "Zacheus was a wee little man, and wee little man was he." You are not thinking about anything but that, and your subconscious is free to execute. In my book I mention that you can only think of one thing at time. It is impossible to think of both your target and your clear key. You will choose. Your attempt to do both is confusing your system and causing all kinds of "white noise"...resulting in less than optimal execution. Commit to total focus only on your clearkey when swinging. Reserve your thoughts about the traget, swing shape, shot type, etc for Pre-shot from behind the ball.

Read the section on the automatic principle, and watch the video on using the clearkey again. When you practice, follow the routine of four reps "on manual" and then four reps on clearkey.

August 24th, 2011, 2:46 am #6

Thanks Kevin for the very detailed response. You really made it clear

The reason I was asking about the Target focus is because the instructor I was talking about (Shawn Clement ) said the focus on the Target would help you stay behind the ball . While focusing on the ball would tend to make you hit over the top.

Now I like your take on it where you say look at the Target and it in your mind before you step up to the ball .(pre- shot routine)
That certainly was part of my problem on Sat. trying to use the clearkey while also trying to focus on the target at the same time .
I will go back and read the clearkey part in your book and watch the videos

Thanks

August 28th, 2011, 12:22 am #7

This statement holds the key to understanding where you are at:
But I am not use to using a Clearkey and didn't get it going many times.
I want you to imagine something familiar to you, something you are at peace with and have a good grasp of. Something that only you control. It is something that you own completely, and you control. Now, you must give that up...you no longer are captain, you must give that up. Perhaps it is the creation of a new division in your company that will handle whole areas of responsibility previously only you controlled.

Un-settling to say the least isn't it? This is what is happening when you begin to implement clearkey for the first time. You have never played golf this way. You have always tried to direct the show. So your system responds with a big "WHOA...WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!" And it reacts in a way that is totally predictable - it defends itself against an invasion - something foreign and new and unknown. The defense mechanism that kicks in often creates physiological restrictions that inhibit free release of certain types of motor patterns.

Your system needs time to adjust to subconscious execution. And your subconscious can only use those motor neuro pathways that you have built - so it is a double edged sword. This is why some people try clearkey and play worse, and declare it "doesn't work". Of course it doesn't work - they don't have solid habits and they are not used to playing without some type of swing keys.
I have heard other teaching Pro's say to focus on the target not the ball. (keep your eye on the ball, but have your focus on the target.) I had been trying to do this, with some success. When I played this weekend I stuggled trying use the clearkey and focus on the target at the same time. It seemed very hard to do both ? What is your take on it ?
Once during one of Moe's clinics, someone asked him why he didn't glance at the target after he walked to the ball and addressed it. Moe's reply "Don't need to - target hasn't moved" This seemingly simple answer is actually another piece of genius from golf's greatest ball striker. The target represents the goal, the attainment, the positive. It is attached to an emotional outcome - positive if we hit the goal, and negative if we don't. Any type of expectation of results triggers anxiety and a heightening of our emotions. Our auto-immune system responds to this by defending against this "intruder" also, and the result is the same type of blocking mechanism I mentioned above.

The target is in the future. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PRESENT. Your job when playing is to make the best possible swing each time PERIOD. To do that you must stay IN THE PRESENT. You can't be in the present, if you are thinking about the target.To stay in the present and let your golf swing execute in real time, free from worry, hope, fear and joy, you must not be thinking about anything that can attach to those emotions - thus the clearkey. By thinking - "Zacheus was a wee little man, and wee little man was he." You are not thinking about anything but that, and your subconscious is free to execute. In my book I mention that you can only think of one thing at time. It is impossible to think of both your target and your clear key. You will choose. Your attempt to do both is confusing your system and causing all kinds of "white noise"...resulting in less than optimal execution. Commit to total focus only on your clearkey when swinging. Reserve your thoughts about the traget, swing shape, shot type, etc for Pre-shot from behind the ball.

Read the section on the automatic principle, and watch the video on using the clearkey again. When you practice, follow the routine of four reps "on manual" and then four reps on clearkey.

Thanks for the description.