Chazman's near fatal medical adventure.

Chazman's near fatal medical adventure.

April 13th, 2012, 7:09 pm #1

I have been using the VA as my primary care for the last 6 years now. About 5 years ago my wife and I went to one of those private screening clinics that give you checkups for your heart and artery health.

During their screening, they found a large mass in my right abdomen from an ultra-sound. I took these results to the VA and after they checked it out with a CAT scan, they told me I had a seconday ureter on my right kidney.

When I aksed what they would do, they said "Nothing", unless you experience problems, leave it alone. This with a mass, 17cm, by 14cm, by 8cm.

Well I left it alone and have endoured the last 5 years with distended stomach and a weight gain to almost 300 lbs.

As recently as a month ago, I once again confronted my VA primary care doctor about this, and he said, "leave it alone". In the mean time the VA nutritionist is branding me a slacker for not being able to lose any weight while on bird seed type diets.

Well, about a month later I ended up in the hospital thinking I was passing a kidney stone. Tests showed that this "leave it alone" ureter had back up to the point where it had snaked it's way down to blocking off my prostrate and backing up the whole system.

Thankfully my Medicare Urologist was on the ball, and he taped the kidney and drained out 603 grams of poison and saved my kidney.

I ended up in the hospital for 10 days and lost 30 lbs while there, mostly from what had accumulated in the "leave it alone" ureter.

Scheduled now for followup endoscopic surgery to remove the "extra" ureter at the end of the month.

Since the removal on all this mass, my blood pressure is down to the normal range, and I going to have to adjust my diabetes meds, since less then 1/2 of my regular doses are giving me low blood sugar.

The VA is a perfect example of what O'bama care is going to look like if it passes the mustard.

April 13th, 2012, 7:22 pm #2

Thanks for sharing that adventure.

It's a great warning for us, especially those of us
who are well aged. "leave it alone". Damn.
"We're from the government and we're here to help you."

Here's hoping your belated surgical procedure goes
perfectly. You certainly deserve it.

April 14th, 2012, 12:40 am #3

I have been using the VA as my primary care for the last 6 years now. About 5 years ago my wife and I went to one of those private screening clinics that give you checkups for your heart and artery health.

During their screening, they found a large mass in my right abdomen from an ultra-sound. I took these results to the VA and after they checked it out with a CAT scan, they told me I had a seconday ureter on my right kidney.

When I aksed what they would do, they said "Nothing", unless you experience problems, leave it alone. This with a mass, 17cm, by 14cm, by 8cm.

Well I left it alone and have endoured the last 5 years with distended stomach and a weight gain to almost 300 lbs.

As recently as a month ago, I once again confronted my VA primary care doctor about this, and he said, "leave it alone". In the mean time the VA nutritionist is branding me a slacker for not being able to lose any weight while on bird seed type diets.

Well, about a month later I ended up in the hospital thinking I was passing a kidney stone. Tests showed that this "leave it alone" ureter had back up to the point where it had snaked it's way down to blocking off my prostrate and backing up the whole system.

Thankfully my Medicare Urologist was on the ball, and he taped the kidney and drained out 603 grams of poison and saved my kidney.

I ended up in the hospital for 10 days and lost 30 lbs while there, mostly from what had accumulated in the "leave it alone" ureter.

Scheduled now for followup endoscopic surgery to remove the "extra" ureter at the end of the month.

Since the removal on all this mass, my blood pressure is down to the normal range, and I going to have to adjust my diabetes meds, since less then 1/2 of my regular doses are giving me low blood sugar.

The VA is a perfect example of what O'bama care is going to look like if it passes the mustard.
connecting the dots between your VA doctor and Obama's health insurance for all makes perfect sense.

Last edited by rickv on April 14th, 2012, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 14th, 2012, 12:52 am #4

VA Hospital is Government run. Obama care would be Government run. Yeah that is a stretch.

April 14th, 2012, 1:15 am #5

connecting the dots between your VA doctor and Obama's health insurance for all makes perfect sense.
Different views are expected and debate anticipated. Civil debate about golf. This is not a forum for discussion about non-golf topics and personal attacks will not be tolerated. Such posts will be subject to deletion.

April 14th, 2012, 10:45 am #6

Frightening story for sure. Lesson to all of us to get a second opinion and sooner rather than later. The VA is a GOVERNMENT RUN hospital right? Medicare is a GOVERNMENT RUN heath care system right? One got it wrong one got it right.

Glad it worked out and you are on the mend.

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

April 14th, 2012, 4:17 pm #7

Glad to hear you are doing OK, Chaz.

Kevin:the differences.

1. The VA. A complete medical service run and funded by the US government. All the doctors and other staff are government employees. There are no costs to the patient for treatment or medicines,etc. As a result,the VA is over-worked and under-staffed;which, in my opinion, means:"You get what you pay for."

2. Medicare. A government INSURANCE program for people over the age of 65,etc. All doctors run their own businesses, and are not government employees. There are out-of-pocket expenses to the patient. Again,"you get what you pay for."

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA

Regards,
Bob

April 14th, 2012, 5:26 pm #8

cleared this up for me, thanks.

Kevin

April 14th, 2012, 7:52 pm #9

Frightening story for sure. Lesson to all of us to get a second opinion and sooner rather than later. The VA is a GOVERNMENT RUN hospital right? Medicare is a GOVERNMENT RUN heath care system right? One got it wrong one got it right.

Glad it worked out and you are on the mend.

Kevin

VA is government run, utilizing government doctors, Medicare is government run, but it utilizes private doctors who adminsister the health care, independent of some bureacrat making health care choices.

April 14th, 2012, 11:11 pm #10

exactly what Obamacare would provide except that the 'government option' never got off the ground so 'Medicare for all' is not in the cards. So you'd have to go through private insurers if you didn't have Medicare. A 'VA' type system where doctors are government employees was never on the table.

Enuf about policy; glad you're better.

Peter