body facing the ball vs the target

body facing the ball vs the target

December 11th, 2010, 3:31 pm #1

Can someone in the know explain why Dustin Johnson's swing (Golf Digest) has his body turned all the way pointing towards the target at impact versus other instruction saying that you should apply a bump hip or slide which causes the body facing more towards the ball at impact?

(I hope I making sense on this explanation)

December 12th, 2010, 1:25 am #2

A 'bump' or 'slide' will not necessarily cause the body to face more towards the ball at impact. Dustin <a href="">">exhibits</a> a 'bump' (lateral movement of the hips towards the target) to start his downswing as is the case with nearly all tour pros.

Peter

December 12th, 2010, 11:31 am #3

Can someone in the know explain why Dustin Johnson's swing (Golf Digest) has his body turned all the way pointing towards the target at impact versus other instruction saying that you should apply a bump hip or slide which causes the body facing more towards the ball at impact?

(I hope I making sense on this explanation)
His hips are WAY open, shoulders still back and he is facing the ball:

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

December 12th, 2010, 1:42 pm #4

A 'bump' or 'slide' will not necessarily cause the body to face more towards the ball at impact. Dustin <a href="">">exhibits</a> a 'bump' (lateral movement of the hips towards the target) to start his downswing as is the case with nearly all tour pros.

Peter
Here is D Johnsom saying at 1:19 mark "making sure it turns thru the ball high."

What does he mean by that?

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ni6r887_A

December 12th, 2010, 10:50 pm #5

His hips are WAY open, shoulders still back and he is facing the ball:

that depends on what the definition is of facing the ball at impact. By old NG terms Dustin is not facing the ball at impact. What definition is commonly accepted as correct here?

Best regards,

Ham

December 13th, 2010, 12:04 am #6

He doesn't have "his body turned all the way pointing towards the target at impact".

His hips are way open and his shoulders are still way back compared to his hips. This is the formula for distance right? Or least part of it

But yeah, he is not pure facing the ball at impact ala the old LTOBG Natural Golf. of course neither is this guy:

BTW - After Peter posted that clip of DJ, I found a really nice one of him from lots of different camera angles. In fact that poster has gobs of great recent high speed video of lots of different pros - McElroy, OOSthuiezen, Westwood..great stuff.

Kevin

December 13th, 2010, 1:54 pm #7

but I think you will be getting some soon!! Hope your shovel is ready!! Just turned very cold now since the snow melted.

The shoulders are really very open relative to the target line at impact. Therein lies the other factor I mentioned earlier. This is called rate of recoil, or the speed at which the shoulders catch up with the hips.

Please do not face the ball at impact!!!

Ham

December 13th, 2010, 2:55 pm #8

that depends on what the definition is of facing the ball at impact. By old NG terms Dustin is not facing the ball at impact. What definition is commonly accepted as correct here?

Best regards,

Ham
THe common definition in the SA world is that the shoulders are parallel to the target line at impact.

Peter

December 13th, 2010, 3:17 pm #9

that people are not still trying to do that. NG also wanted the hips square to the target line at impact.

Shoulders square at impact is also something that tour players do not do. They are all open at impact according to the biomechanic testing results I have seen.

Ham

December 13th, 2010, 3:30 pm #10

About the composite pro in 'Swing Like a Pro' that resulted from the analysis of 100 tour pros, Dr. Mann says on page 186:

Compared to setup the shoulders should return to virtually the same position at impact...

Peter