Bicep curl to make back swing

Bicep curl to make back swing

gsw

November 21st, 2009, 5:20 am #1

On this forum I never hear anyone refer to what I think is the cornerstone of the Moe Norman type golf swing. That would be the bicep curl in the back swing. If I don't make my back swing with a right arm bicep curl then my swing is sunk for that shot. Maybe because I bend my left arm at the elbow and do not make a shoulder turn, my swing is not like anyone elses swing here on the forum, so maybe I am so out in left field that no one can relate to the bicep curl motion on the back swing but for me it is imperative that I take the club away with a bicep curl.

Stan
Last edited by gsw on November 21st, 2009, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 22nd, 2009, 5:10 pm #2

however not perhaps in terms of a Moe Exclusive. I call it "trail arm retention"....here is one mention of it, and then I mention it down further in the same thread. And awhile back I think it was Herbert that posted a pic of Snead with a very strong bicep curl...but I couldn't find the link to that. I know Peter has often commented on keeping the trail arm bent deep into the downswing...

I wholeheartedly agree that one of the keys to a good backswing is a strong curl of the trail arm. So much so that I believe it is an absolute...something you find in all good golf swings no matter what their "flava". In fact my winter practice has me focusing on this one key aspect in every drill and swing I perform - I am practicing on improving my turn, and then as I transition to the front side first leading with my lead knee, I am pulling back even more...

November 23rd, 2009, 1:42 am #3

Stan, when it comes to Moe, many people get confused with that move that Hogan made, in order to practice the feeling of the right elbow getting in front, and he would do this move at about waist level..it's like put your right elbow in your stomach with your palm up, and put your left thumb in the palm and move that back and forth and then down to get the feel of the move. Moe isn't doing that.

I have written about this before (some of my posts don't seem to make it:) but at address the right elbow points at the right hip...slightly soft. It is easier to describe by the opposite...don't force your elbows together at address.

It's a very subltle understanding of the swing, and will help you see why the club goes back closed until just before waist high and why the hands (trailing) stays so, wonderfully, well behind the shaft, and it also explains the proper angles of the hands and arms to the back.

November 23rd, 2009, 7:40 pm #4

On this forum I never hear anyone refer to what I think is the cornerstone of the Moe Norman type golf swing. That would be the bicep curl in the back swing. If I don't make my back swing with a right arm bicep curl then my swing is sunk for that shot. Maybe because I bend my left arm at the elbow and do not make a shoulder turn, my swing is not like anyone elses swing here on the forum, so maybe I am so out in left field that no one can relate to the bicep curl motion on the back swing but for me it is imperative that I take the club away with a bicep curl.

Stan
on what you mean by bicep curl. Since all swings involve bending the trail arm at some point in the back swing, this requires contracting the biceps muscle i.e. a biceps curl.

If, however, you are referring to actively holding the angles as long as possible in the downswing, this can only be accomplished via a maintenance or intensification of the biceps curl in the trail arm. I would hazard a guess that over half of the discussion on this board over the past several years has centered around this very concept. Since a DS is classified as the beginning movement toward the target (initiated by the lower body in good swings) one could say that the angle retention via intensified biceps curl is not activated until the DS begins, not in the BS.