Bent right wrist with IMA?

Bent right wrist with IMA?

September 1st, 2011, 7:06 pm #1

Peter,

Do you keep your trail wrist bend at impact? With Scott's drills it seems like he wants the trail wrist to be straight at impact. This seems to contradict most teachers.

Also, could you give an idea of your practice routine with IMA and Bertholy?

September 2nd, 2011, 12:29 am #2

Scott says that your trail wrist 'can' be straight at impact but his is bent until after impact (note frames 19,20 and 21). As a practical matter accepting a straight wrist at impact is the metaphorical equivalent of walking on a tight rope - disaster is VERY close.

While I've been one of the 'lazy ones' for a while (other priorities) my Bertholy practice used to consist of primarily the slow motion drill focused on correct tension with PSM and the Golden Exercise.

Taking a lead from petearm about the strength improvement in the lead wrist from taking divots with the Golden exercise (he has convenient bean fields adjacent to his backyard where he can 'dig' tons) I do this anytime I can. We have a problem here with gravel in the soil so I need to be well away from people and use an old club. I screened the soil next to the shed a few years back to make a space where I could take divots safely but the shed is gone and that is now part of the yard so no divots allowed. The plan is to take 'divots' in a 4' X 4' sheet of plywood in the basement this winter (a Bertholy suggestion for indoor training).

Peter

September 2nd, 2011, 12:35 pm #3

It seems like this contradicts drills 1 & 2. Do recommend skipping those drills?

September 2nd, 2011, 1:53 pm #4

I don't see a contradiction. Where do you see it?

Peter

September 2nd, 2011, 8:17 pm #5

The main purpose of drills 1 & 2 is straightening of the right wrist at impact. This contracts your statement that "accepting a straight wrist at impact is the metaphorical equivalent of walking on a tight rope - disaster is VERY close."

September 3rd, 2011, 12:43 am #6

The purposes of the Impact Backwards drills are often misunderstood.

The purpose of drill numbers 1 & 2 is to teach you to execute a 'straight line motion' with your trail wrist. That is a motion that has no pronation or supination. This does not mean that your wrist should be straight at impact and it also does not mean that you should make any attempt to actively straighten your wrist in the full swing or even in subsequent drills (Scott makes that point clear when he is explaining drill #3).

Peter