Benchmark Review

Benchmark Review

January 23rd, 2009, 6:10 am #1

Here is a review of the benchmarks that define a swing that is considered acceptable on this forum.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/72052/me ... o+Look+For

My goal is to obtain a swing that meets the benchmarks, what about you?

And for the teaching pros amongst us:
Do your students achieve benchmark swings?
Do you have photos of such swings available for us to look at?

Regards, Herbert

January 23rd, 2009, 1:27 pm #2

Your goals are my goals, long live Bertholy!

I think it is pretty safe to say that most people who golf don't have these benchmarks and goals in mind as they try to improve. I'd be willing to bet that a high % of PGA and other "teaching" pros are clueless regarding many of the most basic concepts regarding excellence in ball striking we talk about here as a normal part of our discussions. At least the ranges I have frequented and eavesdropped on lessons being given....these guys are not teaching anything close to what they need to be teaching to help their students long term. Most are just expanded swing tip sessions based on the pro's evaluation of the person's "problem".

The two things with golf improvement #1 most don't want to improve, #2 those that do don't know how to- you see the same people at the range bashing bucket after bucket every year making the same mistake(s).

When I agree to teach someone, the first thing I ask them is what they want to get out of the instruction. I press them for a very specific answer. Then I fit the training to their goal. My girlfriend wants "to learn golf." What she really wants is to just be able to play well enough so that she can feel like she isn't "embarrassing herself" in front of me and her family when we play together. She's not gonna do Bertholy drills! She probably wont "work on her game". Before meeting me, she never swung a golf club, except putt-putt. So we've had two "lessons". The 1st lesson, I let her start out hitting balls, just so she can experience the "bad way". After about 10 minutes, I show her a functional grip, and proper impact position. I have her tee the ball up (9 iron) and I have her "hit" shots from this position, just focusing on making the ball "go straight"...little shots that fly maybe 10-25 yards. She gets pretty good at this and has a smile on her face. I increase her backswing length so that she takes her hands just back of her trail thigh, and tell her to do the same thing but swing hard enough so that her hands finish about belly high. She hits another 10 yards furhter, and there is air now and she is liking it, giggling. She already looks better at impact than 90% of the people out there! Her weight is on her front foot, her head is over her trail knee, and her trail wrist is bent. The second time I have her start out asking if she remembers, she does and with a brief refresher she picks up where she left off. I hand her a 7 iron, and say "Same thing, the ball will go farther now." By the end of the lesson she is making swings from a 1/2 backswing length and finishing in a full follow through. Her ball has air, and is flying about 70 yards, straight as an arrow. Every once in a while I tell her - "Go ahead and give it a good smack", each time she almost always hits a bad shot. After each one I say go back to what you were doing before, and the good shots return. She has just learned a good swing is more about technique than about force. She's loving it.

She sees me doing the drills in the basement. She laughs as I complete program 1. "Why do you do that? You have a great swing." I tell her just to keep my strength and golf muscles. "Will that help me?" Sure it will. "Okay." She is going to do some program 1 now. Who knows, she may catch the bug...she already knows more about the golf swing than most of those on the range.

My real goal is to be the best player I can be...to shoot the lowest score I am able each time I play...to enjoy this great game...to be a good partner...a humble winner...a gracious loser...a generous participant in 19th hole festivities....

January 23rd, 2009, 2:30 pm #3

Here is a review of the benchmarks that define a swing that is considered acceptable on this forum.

Regards, Herbert
I have developed a before and after portion of my membership site. This is where I post the students who have achieved great results. The before and after swings are usually after only one or two days at our golf schools which is in itself remarkable.

Todd

January 24th, 2009, 5:39 pm #4

Regards, Herbert
to get people to meet the criteria that you have posted. I have some who are getting very close though. It is very HARD work as Bertholy claimed. I will post some before and after pics sometime in the spring when I have access to my video system again.

Of course many of my juniors meet the benchmark, but honestly I did not have so much to do with it. I did post the picture a year or so ago of one of the girls I teach who has a swing very close to the Freddy C. pictures in the link in your post. She is a small girl of 16 now, who can carry the ball over 225 yards with her driver. I don't think she even weighs 100 lbs. Proof of the benchmark.

I will post this info free of charge too.

Best Regards,

Ham

January 25th, 2009, 1:33 pm #5

One of the points Bertholy makes is that it is MUCH easier for juniors to learn by imitation. It seems that most tour pros met these benchmarks before they became tour pros which is to say they met them as juniors. In your experience is it that all juniors can get it quickly or is the process 'self selecting' in that those that do get it quickly (or have it already) stay with golf while the others go on to other sports?

Peter

January 25th, 2009, 2:51 pm #6

I think that about 30% of juniors reach the benchmarks relatively fast. Some take a bit more time, but usually are playing catch up then as the others had "it" sooner. Those who do not get it seem to either drop out or find something else to do.

I had thought in the past that in the USA the kids had an advantage due to Baseball and throwing sports, over those in other countries where they do not play baseball, football, basketball, etc.. Here in Germany soccer is the big game that the kids all love. None of my juniors have played the above sports, yet meet the benchmarks. My theory is that kids do not for the most part have the hand strength to mess up the benchmarks, and end up pulling the club through as fast as they can, which give them the lag which is necessary to become a great golfer.

The adults in Germany very RARELY meet the benchmarks, even the better players. I almost never see it. One thing that I have noticed is that those with stronger lead hand grips come closer to the benchmarks then those with weaker leading hand grips.

Best Regards,

Ham